• No, they add to the programs quality.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting here stewing about how people put laugh-tracks in their shows, and was wondering if it annoys everyone else as much as it does me. A good program, in my opinion, can be severly degraded by those stupid things. In case anyone doesn't know, a laugh-track is that annoying laughter that plays everytime something 'funny' happens. It's as if they are telling you when something is funny and when you should laugh.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't think it's as simple as that. I mean, laughter is infectious, so hearing other people laugh is more likely to make you laugh out loud at a show. I can think of quite a few shows that I would actually like less if they took out the laugh track. The only time I really find the laugh track annoying is when the show I'm watching just plain isn't funny in the first place.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I hate em 101% ! If its actually a funny show people will not need a cue when to laugh ffs :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Yes and no.
Canned laughter is not right imo. Genuine laguhter, like you got in Yes Minister is completely different. It sometimes allows you to pick up on things you might not noticed were funny (which is kinda important given that most of Yes Minister relied on subtlety unlike certain long running american sitcoms I could mention).
Essentialy my opinion is:
Canned laughter = bad
Unprompted studio audience = good.

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I wasn't referring to a studio audience(should've mentioned that). I was referring to canned laughter. It's so lame -_-.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
1) A laugh track IS canned laughter, the studio audience thing is NOT considered a laugh track.
2) On rare occaisions, the laugh track doesn't sound like a laugh track, yet they don't say "filmed before a studio audience", so I don't know if it's just a halfway decent laugh track or if they forgot to mention the audience. These cases aren't too annoying.
3) The vast majority of laugh tracks are HORRIBLY ANNOYING. They don't sound anything like natural laughter, and are usually cued at the wrong time.
4) While I don't find studio audience laughter as annoying as a laugh track, I prefer not having either. If it's funny, I'll laugh. If it's not funny, I won't. Studio audience/canned laughter has no bearing on the matter what-so-ever.
If the show has to tell you when to laugh, then they need better writers.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Worst case scenario: When there's one female person laughing like a drunken horse :angry:

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I'm with Cypher, i prefer to laugh when i actually find it funny. Canned laughter is a resource commonly used when the show isn't that funny, and it's like they want to force me to laugh. Next thing i do after hearing a laugh track, unless the show is amazingly great, is pick a different channel.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
the worst thing is when they put the laugh-tracks when the comedian says a bad joke, anoying as hell.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
And after that bad joke he is sitting there with such an arrogant face waiting for the public to join the tape.... very annoying indeed.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
If program is good, laughter tracks make it better. If program sucks, laughter track make it suck even more.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I partly agree with Maza. With good shows, laugh tracks aren't that annoying.

Seinfeld, for instance, is my favorite TV show, and it has laugh tracks. IMO they add nothing to the show, but they aren't annoying, since the show IS funny.

But laugh tracks can make bad sitcoms get even worse - that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
But even so is a problem. I don't find seinfeld that funny - just ok. But since it has that canned laughs, i just can stand it. Maybe without them i could just enjoy the good gags, but i won't stand that "c'mon, it's time to laugh" for a couple of jokes i really enjoy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts