Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I just joined today and I am fairly new around this forum. Like the title asks, does the various available emulators, like the Wii/Gamecube, Dreamcast, and PS2 emulators, work with the i7 processor installed? I understand that most of the emulators are programed to work specifically with core duo's, but I just want to know if they can also adapt to the i7? Sorry for the newbish question but I tried to look around, and I have gotten mixed results.

Also here is my PC configuration: intel core i7 920/ ASUS P6T Deluxe V2/ 1T HDD/ Radeon HD 3650 1G (yeah I know, I gotta upgrade)/ 6GB Ram/ Um no case yet... still searching, looking at the HAF 932. If anyone has any better suggestions please don't hold back

Also, if the emulators do work (I have my fingers crossed), do they run alright? I just want a smooth experience with my games and I don't want to have to witness a virtual slideshow. Thank You for your time, and please be kind to my newbish question

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
moving to hardware discussion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
naw, it's not really for emulating. my other source for a computer is this 2 year old laptop that is really weak. I can't even open CS4 and firefox, at the same time nevertheless work on some heavy graphic rendering projects without it going berserk and over heating (yeah, it's that bad -__-.) This is my first build so I have been waiting and saving for while now.

This rig is mainly for school and my art/graphic projects that I want to get into. The emulation is just something I always wanted to do (especially with the dolphin emulator, since it can upscale Wii games to 720p)

Thanks for the Help everyone.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Ah, makes more sense then. Have you considered getting a good rendering GPU? Like ATIs FireGL or Nvidias Quadro?

My friend has one and his dual core with the ATI FireGL renders the same project much faster then his girlfriends quad core with just a normal gaming GPU.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
The HAF 932 would certainly not be a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS and emulators should work fine. Hyperthreading divides 4 cores with the power 2x into 8 virtual cores with power x. You will be faster on alot of stuff with HT disabled.

It also makes the processor cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, makes more sense then. Have you considered getting a good rendering GPU? Like ATIs FireGL or Nvidias Quadro?

My friend has one and his dual core with the ATI FireGL renders the same project much faster then his girlfriends quad core with just a normal gaming GPU.
Hmmm, Thanks for the suggestion, Those 2 series of rending GPU seem to be perfect for what I'm getting into. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be pretty high end and expensive. though I think I'll upgrade sooner or later, i'm pretty content with my gpu now. Thanks again skoreanime!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS and emulators should work fine. Hyperthreading divides 4 cores with the power 2x into 8 virtual cores with power x. You will be faster on alot of stuff with HT disabled.

It also makes the processor cooler.
Thanks for the configuration help Lonewolf, I'll definitely take care of that ASAP. I also heard the hyperthreading properties of the i7 weren't compatible with any of the emulators available, thus rendering them useless and counterproductive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This rig is mainly for school and my art/graphic projects that I want to get into. The emulation is just something I always wanted to do (especially with the dolphin emulator, since it can upscale Wii games to 720p)
It doesn't upscale as far as I know. I think that it goes even further and makes it so that the game was made in 720p as a native resolution. Upscaling simply does something similar to what you do when you stretch an image in Paint. So you lose sharpness of the image when you display it on a higher resolution and it is upscaled. When you increase the native resolution it makes the actual game sharper.

Thanks for the configuration help Lonewolf, I'll definitely take care of that ASAP. I also heard the hyperthreading properties of the i7 weren't compatible with any of the emulators available, thus rendering them useless and counterproductive.
By disabling ityou won't really gain an increase. I have an i7 and I tried that. Hyperthreading can "theoretically" slow down certain programs, but most if not all of the time, the difference is negligable. And I've seen it speed up programs WAY more often than I've seen it slow down programs. Hyperthreading does allow you to multitask a lot better so if an anti virus scan were to activate or something, you'd probably not notice a difference in performance. Most of the people who talk so negatively about it don't have i7s for themselves to even check. They just look at stuff that other people say then exaggerate it. There was a banchmark where Crysis lost like 1 frame per second of performance with Hyperthreading on, but it's just one frame, and when the difference is so little it could have been anything that made them lose that 1 frame.

The only time that disabling hyperthreading is really needed is if you are doing an absolutely extreme overclock. Many reviewers were able to bump the i7 to 4GHz without turning off hyperthreading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't upscale as far as I know. I think that it goes even further and makes it so that the game was made in 720p as a native resolution. Upscaling simply does something similar to what you do when you stretch an image in Paint. So you lose sharpness of the image when you display it on a higher resolution and it is upscaled. When you increase the native resolution it makes the actual game sharper.

By disabling ityou won't really gain an increase. I have an i7 and I tried that. Hyperthreading can "theoretically" slow down certain programs, but most if not all of the time, the difference is negligable. And I've seen it speed up programs WAY more often than I've seen it slow down programs. Hyperthreading does allow you to multitask a lot better so if an anti virus scan were to activate or something, you'd probably not notice a difference in performance. Most of the people who talk so negatively about it don't have i7s for themselves to even check. They just look at stuff that other people say then exaggerate it. There was a banchmark where Crysis lost like 1 frame per second of performance with Hyperthreading on, but it's just one frame, and when the difference is so little it could have been anything that made them lose that 1 frame.

The only time that disabling hyperthreading is really needed is if you are doing an absolutely extreme overclock. Many reviewers were able to bump the i7 to 4GHz without turning off hyperthreading.
I see, I see, thanks for clearing that up. I see now hyperthreading in the worst case scenario will have a minimal impact on the pc's performance. What you discussed about the Dolphins native resolution made perfect sense too, thanks.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
bkwegoharder, the reason you don't notice a thing when multitasking is not because hyperthreading is on...it's because despite hyperthreading i7s are still quads.
If you did not go from a regular quad to an i7 you can't tell how much of a difference the new architecture and hyperthreading make...

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

Stretching = / = scaling.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
No, not actually Lonewolf, multithreaded apps are far more flexible at sharing processing power so it's likely to still be a seamless experience.
Remember the cores hyperthreading creates are not real.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
each thread is half the performance of the full core.

GTA4 sucks ass because it uses the cpu for shadow calculation instead of being smart and using gpu based acceleration methods.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.