Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The theme of this game is pretty seedy, focuses on the deadly sins, multiplied by the angst of youth, throw in some sexual themes and you have a very dark, twisted story. Without the charisma of the main character though, it doesn't entirely work. Dante is very wooden, as are the rest of the cast. Combined with terribly voice acting, DmC struggles to really keep you invested in the characters.

Gameplay however is fantastic, it's still not the best in the genre, but it does come off as more accessible than Devil May Cry 4. Switching weapons on the fly is really simple, and utilising the grappling mechanics it can be pretty fun stringing together massive combos. I'm liking this game gameplay wise the most so far, but to be fair, I haven't played the first three yet.

On the 560ti, with everything turned up to the max, and not using the highest AA possible (not needed) the game is smooth as butter and looks pretty decent. Level design is pretty weak, but visually it makes the par.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
You are right about the gameplay. I don't know why but after playing DmC and even if I think I pretty well mastered it, I couldn't get back to DMC4. Maybe the fact they are forcing the player to try mastering Nero then Dante is a cause.

I find the story however, far better handled than in the previous episodes. They are constructing the characters personalities and they stopped at least copying figures like Bruce Lee.

Are you planning to play Vergil's Downfall, Snicko ?

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
sick review!!!!
I liked tha gameplay on the ps3 demo.
do u think it will run okay on my pc or am I better off getting the ps3 version.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know why but after playing DmC and even if I think I pretty well mastered it, I couldn't get back to DMC4. Maybe the fact they are forcing the player to try mastering Nero then Dante is a cause.
because DmC fighting mechanics are actually based off Heavenly Sword, no wonder people have a hard time playing DMCs and DmCs at once, they have similar but completely different mechanics.

btw is Nero really that hard to master? iirc it was only about jump-cancel, mid-air grab, Ex-act + calibur cancel, jump-cancel, mid-air grab, repeated over and over, Dante on the other hand....

off topic : i'm surprised you didn't mention (or encounter) any bugs yet, iirc the game was a bug-fest thanks to the lazy port from the Heavenly Sword

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right about the gameplay. I don't know why but after playing DmC and even if I think I pretty well mastered it, I couldn't get back to DMC4. Maybe the fact they are forcing the player to try mastering Nero then Dante is a cause.

I find the story however, far better handled than in the previous episodes. They are constructing the characters personalities and they stopped at least copying figures like Bruce Lee.

Are you planning to play Vergil's Downfall, Snicko ?
I came close to buying it during the recent steam sale but I think I'll wait. Despite its flaws I kind of want to see what Ninja Theory did with the expansion, even though it doesn't sound like its full on story.

Maybe in the steam summer sales I'll grab it.

sick review!!!!
do u think it will run okay on my pc or am I better off getting the ps3 version.
It's hard for me to say, I don't really know much about your machine, but you should get decent performance at mid to low settings and a sensible resolution. PS3 might be the safest bet.

because DmC fighting mechanics are actually based off Heavenly Sword, no wonder people have a hard time playing DMCs and DmCs at once, they have similar but completely different mechanics.

btw is Nero really that hard to master? iirc it was only about jump-cancel, mid-air grab, Ex-act + calibur cancel, jump-cancel, mid-air grab, repeated over and over, Dante on the other hand....

off topic : i'm surprised you didn't mention (or encounter) any bugs yet, iirc the game was a bug-fest thanks to the lazy port from the Heavenly Sword
As far as bugs go, I haven't encountered any. I guess there are patches in place to make it more stable, as there aren't any issues.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
sick review!!!!
That's hardly a review redlof....

DmC PC has reeceived 4 patches I think it was and so most bugs should be crushed by now. You certainly won't have that fight where Vergil never attacks anymore.

·
Registered
92 Posts
DmC PC has reeceived 4 patches I think it was and so most bugs should be crushed by now. You certainly won't have that fight where Vergil never attacks anymore.
they fixed the flying Vergil too? ah well, that was kinda hilarious though :lol:

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
I never mentioned anywhere difficulties about mastering Nero or Dante. I said that the fact you have to play with Nero then with Dante is maybe a problem. Forcing the player to use a pattern of buttons the first half of the game then another pattern (including the digital pad with Dante) for the second half is awkward.

A bug fest ? Not at all. The most know bug was the "Flying Dante" which has been corrected with the first patch a long time ago. For the rest, the game is perfectly enjoyable and encountering bugs is very, very, very rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts