Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my dad recently bought a new tv. its a toshiba 52" DLP TV (52HMX~). for the best picture, is there any setting i shud have the contrast/brightness/sharpness/tint at ? or any other setting that shud be on/off?

EDIT: on hushypushy's recommendation picture linked :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
wow, you lucky ass :p you should post the pic in this thread eh?

anywho, start out with the default settings. and then just tweak it. i've been through a lot of TVs and monitors, and honestly, most of the time, default is perfect. but if you notice the picture needs a little bit of tweaking...do it.

another thing too, a lot of monitors have modes, so check those out. there will be like TV mode, Movie Mode, etc etc and it will adjust the picture. figure out waht you like. and my LCD monitor has a sweet "auto adjust" button. i dont know if HDTV's have that, but if so that'd be cool. i love that feature on my computer monitor.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What kind of LCD do you have Hushy it should be HD. From my experience with DLP's (I'm a product specialst at Circuit City so I go through somewhat formal training on this stuff, plus its kinda my hobby) Your gonna want to max out the contrast and brightness then play a dark part of a movie then slowly take the contrast and brightness down till you get to a level you like, then go to a bright part and adjust accordingly. Also any movie that includes the THX adjust feature works pretty well most of the time, although its not perfect.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm. thanks for the tips guys.

i have the auto adjust on my lcd monitor as well. i think thats wat spoiled me so im too used to getting the best picture without having to do anything >.> it left me not knowing what settings to change O__O the mode presets are present so i will try those first since it seems to be the easiest ~___~.

Valcrist, thank you for your expert advice. im wondering if you know of any specific movie that you wud recommend for trying out the dark and bright scene that you were mentioning? preferably one with the "THX adjust feature" that you mentioned?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet :drool:

Only thing missing there is a PS3 xD

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
Sweeeeeeeet :drool:

Only thing missing there is a PS3 xD
No, he's missing his computer! Unless I'm blind and can't see it. If it has DVI, you should plug your computer into it via DVI (assuming your gfx card has it-or you could do S-Video, Composite, or Componet but they are usually crap). That thing as a monitor would be sweet! I've hooked my computer up to my Sony HDTV before, but I think that would be better. Then just plug your computer into that sound system! That's what I'm going to do when I get into my new house, only I myself don't have an HD. I'll just make do with S-Video on that good ol' Panasonic. But I like my Viewsonic VP930b 19" LCD best. Makes up for my crap CRT I had.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Valcrist, thank you for your expert advice. im wondering if you know of any specific movie that you wud recommend for trying out the dark and bright scene that you were mentioning? preferably one with the "THX adjust feature" that you mentioned?
Pirates of the Caribian is excellent movie for the light and dark parts, and its good for testing your surround sound too. For the dark part, skip to the scene where they are fighting on the treasure, then go to the scene where they are on the island.

Also I'm pretty sure whoever sold you the T.V. told you this, but make sure you use some good cables to connect it, your system will only be as strong as its weakest connection. Buy some monster or some pscyhe componet cables for your ps2. And an optical cable for surround sound, the make of that doesn't matter as much seeing as how its a digital connection, as long as it fits good and doesn't slip about.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KanedA said:
lookin'... biiiiiIiiiig :D any chances, that the person on that picture (on the right) is you ? :D
yes it is :( i need to get rid of that someday...

No, he's missing his computer! Unless I'm blind and can't see it.
no, ur rite i dont have a computer attached to it (unless u count the ps2 as a computer :) ). i was thinking about doing it (for testing), but the toshiba manual clearly states not to attach a computer to it (didnt explain why)... :(

Pirates of the Caribian is excellent movie for the light and dark parts, and its good for testing your surround sound too. For the dark part, skip to the scene where they are fighting on the treasure, then go to the scene where they are on the island.
ok i will be picking up pirates of the caribian as soon as i can :) im using some monster cables that the salesman sold to us with the tv ... to be honest i at first thot they were gimmicks....80 CAD for a 2 meter set of cables Oo but since were buying the TV they gave it to us for 43 CAD . oO

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
D.D. said:
no, ur rite i dont have a computer attached to it (unless u count the ps2 as a computer :) ). i was thinking about doing it (for testing), but the toshiba manual clearly states not to attach a computer to it (didnt explain why)... :(
They say that to cover their butts when the meathead who hooks his computer up to it and leaves the computer on the same screen for a long time and ends up getting burn-in on the screen and he tries to get his tv fixed and not pay cause of the warranty.

Also, if you mess around with custom resolutions, you could damage the tv by giving it a signal it doesn't like. But if the TV is good, it should just not accept the signal at all so it can not get damaged since it isn't trying to output that bogus signal.

On my Toshiba 51" CRT Rear Projection, I've only managed to get computer output via s-video. I'm too paranoid that I'll really mess up the TV if I try using HDMI/DVI.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
hey Valcrist, i have heard from a lottttt of places that such things like Monster Cables are utter ripoffs. i mean, obviously those tiny el cheapo skinny cables won't cut it, but spending so much more for the big brand Monster Cables which cost a ton of money is way overkill, and no one needs that.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Not true, monster cables are very good. They give excellent signal strength and some of the best cable shielding around. (I know a lot about AV cables.) The problem is that monster also sells standard cables too but for almost the same price as their premium sets. It makes them look bad. you really just have to research the model number to find the correct cables

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
oh i never said monster cables were bad. just extremely, extremely overrated. in other words, no one needs cables that

A. cost that much
B. are so "good" (and by that i mean you can by lesser quality cables and you wont ever have any loss)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yes monster cables are very overpriced, which is why I also reccommended the pshyce cables ^_^. The store usually buys a set of monster video 2 component cables for about $35 and sells them for $75, although you should never buy the really cheapo cables like the GE ones where a set of component cables might run you $14. I personally use Belkin's Pure AV to run all of my equipment, which is still a bit pricey at $40 for a set of component cables, and they are just as good as the monster video 3's. Now when it comes to speaker wire, I will not run anything other than Monster, I've tried them all and there is no doubt monster is the best in that arena.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.