Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Picked this up on sale, it has a very gloomy atmosphere, very little use of colour, but the art direction is pretty good. Plays like a First person stealth/combat game, not my favourite type of game to play, but there hasn't been anything yet to turn me away from it.

Performance wise it hums, with everything turned up (which is very little) and at 2560x1440 my 560ti cruises along with no performance drops or screen tearing. I did need to do some work with the controls to get the mouse aiming and sensitivity right.

Biggest complaint are there are plenty of textures that are very washed out and low res, coming from Bioshock it is a little jarring, but it won't get in the way of gameplay.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,277 Posts
This game is a great example that pretty graphics is not everything. Dishonored > Crysis 3 any day.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Would have loved it if it was third person.

I have it but playing other games first.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
BioShock Infinite is basically the worst possible game you could be coming from for Dishonored given they have a similar feel to them in their worlds/way they manipulate history into a new interesting world.

Brightness is everything is this game btw and it looks like you have yours a little too high (at least 2 clicks). I'm commenting on that because this game is cheapened by 5000% when you have it too bright, so much more detail and shading is lost than in other games to the point that the nature of textures completely changes if you have it even only a click too high. What should be comic-like stylized metallic texture becomes drab gray nothingness as soon as the brightness is too high.
If anything rather play this game darker than brighter, a ginourmous chunk of cheapness will immediately be gone.

Since the menu where you alter brightness is blended over whatever is currently onscreen you can basically see your changes realtime, seriously find something intended to be metalic and you'll see, just one click too high and it all gets catapulted 10 years into the past graphically.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brightness is fine, all steam screenshots are brighter than what my screen shows in game.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
But at darker settings it feels like things are less washed out (in fact that they aren't washed out in the slightest) and low res. Sure they might still be low res, but they get a sort of stylized volume to them.

I'll take some shots to try and show you that it at least looks better and has more colour the darker you go.

50% Brightness (as far as I remember this was default)

Then 4 clicks away from my optimal much lower brightness setting

2 clicks away

And then my optimal brightness setting

Would you still call that last one washed out?
To me on my monitor at least that last image is MUCH richer in both colour and overall quality than the 1st.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just told you, brightness is fine on my screen, steam screenshots are much brighter than what I see on my screen.

My opinion is unchanged.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
In that case this is an absolute first. Never before has someone found a game washed out and colourless whilst I'm perfectly ok with it and even find it pretty in it's own right (it's graphics, thanks to the shading which emerges at lower brightness, are basically art to me in the same way a graphic novel or comic could be, the game frequently feels more hand-drawn than rendered to me) despite those being my usual bug-bears with games.

Then again I guess I might simply not be able to observe all the faults as clearly thanks to having a much lower res and smaller screen than you, so in my case I'm more susceptible to the illusion the game creates with it's lighting and shading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts