Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends (PS2) is cripple ware. It has all of Dynasty Warriors 5 on it, but you can't access two of the modes without the Dynasty Warriors 5 disc. I'm trying to figure out a way to access those modes without a DW5 disc. There is a set of codebreaker codes that will do this for the Japanese version, but none for the US version.

How could I go about gaining access to that data? Would it be possible to emulate DW5:XL on my PC to figure out what files it is attempting to access? (Sort of like what filemon does under Windows.) Is it possible to monitor the processes that the PS2 is attempting to execute directly? (Such as having a shunt to another PC inbetween the PS2 OS and the DVD drive.) Would it be possible to stop the PS2 from asking for the disc and simply skip that step?

And before anyone gives the unhelpful advice of "go buy DW5" or "that's illegal" or "your breaking forum rules"... I own the disc. I own all the data on the disc and all the hardware running all the software. I have every moral right and every right under the law to access my property any way I wish. Copyright does not mean that someone owns that data after they have sold it, copyright means that they own the sole distribution rights and I'm not distributing anything.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
why dont you contact the devs and give them a piece of your mind? maybe if you yell at them enough they'll send you a free copy of DW5 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i dont know what's wrong with you man. you are overly paranoid, giving us all that "i own the disc! its not piracy! get off my back!!!!" type stuff before we even said anything. trust us, we know the rules here. we'll tell you when you're breaking a rule. seriously, do you think admins read threads and say "oh ok, since this guy said it's not piracy, of course it's not!" but thanks for the lesson on copyright anyway. at least you used proper grammar and spelling, which is more than we get out of a lot of members.

anywho, where did you get the impression of snide comments? a snide comment would not only be derogatory, but it would be used with malicious intent! i dont see any malice in my post (maybe that smiley i used..) and definitely none in moo's post. maybe he should've rephrased it? "hey, maybe you're out of luck, you might have to go and buy the game" and perhaps i should've rephrased as "well, that seems like a ridiculous problem. perhaps you should contact the publisher and inform them of this travesty; maybe they will be so kind as to rectify it at their own expense."

im sorry that we didn't give you the magic gameshark code to unlock the content you wanted right away. so jeez, you didn't hear exactly what you wanted to hear, so you threw a fit? sounds like something my ex-girlfriend would do (yeah, im comparing you to a heinous *****. that, sir, was a snide remark).

but hey, the thread is still open. someone might have the answer for you. in the meantime, maybe post on other forums to see if anyone has the answer. cant hurt to try other sites, right?

and to answer your latest question, "how did i get to be an admin", well actually first i was a moderator (that is a boring story you dont want to hear it), but to become an admin, actually it was moomoomoo who recommended me. no one's ever asked before; you're actually the first one.

PS. if you do choose to go to other sites for help in your journey, and knowing your easily offendable personality, i would recommend you to stay away from a little site called Emutalk. moo and i are angels compared to the dudes over there.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
evil_mind said:
So how did you two get to be admins? Is it whoever has the most snide comments gets to be an admin? If you are going to respond with something like that, why did you even bother replying?
Dude, don't get me wrong but, if you're not satisfied with the friendly answers of moo and hushy, I don't know why you've bothered yourself replying the thread with so sour words.
Sorry for just putting flame in this thread, but I just can't be quiet when someone acts like a jerk with no reason. ¬¬"

Hushypushy said:
PS. if you do choose to go to other sites for help in your journey, and knowing your easily offendable personality, i would recommend you to stay away from a little site called Emutalk. moo and i are angels compared to the dudes over there.
Let him go over there... :evil:

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
As far as I can tell DW5: XL is an expansion kit to DW5, the reason you can't gain access to it is because it needs the data in DW5 (I think) to play it at all.

I only guessed the above based on a few google searches. So excuse me if I'm wrong.

·
Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
Hushy seems to keep getting better at these responses. They get better and better everytime. We all have our ways of enforcing the rules, but for the 7+ years we have been in this community...Hushy has some of the most amusing. This should be another category for next year.

Between this and when CKEmu speaks Newb... :lol

Moo is another one..hehe.

oh..back on topic...no luck finding a US code

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Hmmm.....think everyone is overreacting here.

The general gist I got from his post is he was wanting to "unlock" hidden content that the devs left on a disc (read: similar to the hot coffee mod). Now yes, he did go into great lengths to stress that he "owns" the disc, which is probably why you guys came down on him, but I really feel that this wasn't a piracy issue to begin with.

Anything that he wants to do with that disc, as long as he is not distrubuting it over the net, or making copies and selling it is basically legal under fair use law anyway, assuming he purchased it in the first place.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
moo: that's the exact reason i never visit emuforums whilst under the influence ;)

jldnr77: you must've only read the first post then skipped over the other big blob of words (aka the rest of the posts). the OP was the one who said "ZOMG NOT PIRACY DONT HURT ME" and uh,...yeah its not. when did anyone else say it was?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
everyone is overreacting here.
Absolutely correct!
wanting to "unlock" hidden content that the devs left on a disc (read: similar to the hot coffee mod).
Absolutely correct again! (I wish I had said it so simply at the start.) Jldnr77 you are a smart cookie with above par reading comprehension skills. Can you help me with my problem?

I think the data has to be on the disc or else you couldn't use a code to access that part of the game in the Japanese version.

Now onto the off-topic stuff...
'I hereby give you the right'? What's that about? Bleh.
I'll interpret that as at least an acknowledgement that you wish you hadn't written that... and I will accept it as an apology. Thank you.:thumb:

BTW: And to answer your question/complaint hushpuppy of why I started off with "ZOMG NOT PIRACY DONT HURT ME" I have posted this question in various forums and the gist of the replies I get seems to be "Go buy the disc you pirate!" or some other completely useless why-did-they-bother-replying-in-the-first-place kind of statement that wasn't even posted by a moderator, let alone an admin. I was hoping to avoid that nonsense from regular users.
PLUS (and more importantly) I did a search of this forum's archive & rules before I posted. What I found was that the majority of posts on this forum that even lightly touched on this subject could be summarized as "ZOMG YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO ASK THAT YOU PIRATE! DO IT AGAIN AND YOU'LL BE BANNED 4 LIFE!" I wanted to clarify what I wanted before someone half-read (or read while drunk :innocent:) my request and then jumped over me.
And yes "snide" (Dictionary:"snide - expressive of contempt;") is the correct word. I feel that your post (plus all your subsequent posts) pretty much communicate only one thing... contempt.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.