Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a general thread about the disc change problems in 1.7.0 since information on this subject seems scattered about. I'll post some general comments and questions for discussion. Hopefully we can come to a standard protocol to alleviate this issue until the ePSXe team officially fixes the issue.

1. ePSXe 1.7.1?- i've seen posts about the version that doesn't yet exist. they say it will be fixed when it comes out but its not completed, don't know if its being developed and no timetable or conformation exists.
2. is the problem only with image files?- IMG files are the only type mentioned to have this problem, haven't gotten to a disc change point in a game using ISO, BIN, CUE, CCD or MDS (or any other).
3. it seems the only solution is to save at or before a disc change point, copy and paste the mem card file into a previous version of ePSXe, save after change point in old version, copy and paste the mem card file again this time back to 1.7.0. this is a pain but works (this leads me to a slightly unrelated question: 3a. how to get more save slots?- DL another version of ePSXe just to get a clear mem card file?)
comment- if your wondering, any multi-disk game has this problem, the complication is not game specific, Metal Gear Solid, Parasite Eve, Lunar, Legend of Dragoon, Chorno Cross, Valkyrie Profile, all PSX FFs and so on.

any comments or suggestion, discussions and dialogue is appreciated, thank you :thumb:

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
i never have had this issue and i use 1.7. i use alcohol 120% for my virtual drives. i mount my images to my virtual drive and play the games as if they were my actual discs that i have. i use the normal option to run disc in epsxe and when it asks for the new disc, i leave it on the screen asking for the disc while i go into alcohol and change to the next disc than i go back to epsxe and hit x to continue and it goes about the game like nothing happened, so with that method i have never had an issue and i do not even use the change disc option.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
ive already addressed the issue at the end of the troubleshooting FAQ (see link below). its a known problem and currently there are only a few unofficial work-arounds but they do actually work so there is no need to freak out or anything over it.

it can happen with any multi-disc game but is limited occuring when changing from one disc image to another, so playing from the actual disc will prevent you from the possibility of running into this bug. mounting the image on a virtual drive rather than loading it directly from the location on the hard drive will often work too.

as for an official fix, it will happen when it happens. nobody knows when the next update will be, i doubt the team knows either, so speculating is a waste of time.

as for the save state slots, there is no way to add more yourself, it would have to be done by the developers. i dont know why anyone would need more though, 5 is enough imo.

http://forums.ngemu.com/problems-games/65247-troubleshooting-faq-read-first-before-you-post.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for pointing out the answers in the FAQ, thats helpful, especially the MGS plug-in configurations :). i never used a virtual drive but ill try it. i see alcohol 120% is a trail version, does this work better than daemon tools lite? and does it only work with IMG files?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got daemon tools lite and answered my own question, all files work not just IMG, functions really well too, thanks. and i didn't mean the save states, i was asking about the actual memory card emulation. i don't mess with save states, if you could include a link in your next reply about the save state function that would be helpful.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
if thats the case then i take it you are concerned about running out of space once the two are filled up. what you can do (this is what i do at least) is make a copy of one of the memory card files when it doesnt have any saved data on it and store it somewhere else on your hard drive.

when you run out of space on the two default ones, you can just swap them out with the extra blank memory card files. these files are located in the mem card folder of your epsxe directory btw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, both are filled up, damn gran turismo 2 lol. and thats what i figured i would have to do, of course they are all ready filled up on 1.7, i assume i can get clean ones from 1.6. can u link me some info on the save state function?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
yeah memory card files will work with any version, so you can just download another copy of 1.7.0 (or any version) and take the two blank memory card files from it and store them elsewhere until you need them if your current files are at their limit and copying them directly isnt an option.

what are you looking for additional info on though, the memory card function or the save state function? because they are two different things and you using one to refer to the other earlier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.