Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nvidia cards still doesn't supports DirectX10.1.On the Other hand some cards from Radeon's 4800 series supports DirectX10.1.I have heard that Nvidia will go straight to DirectX 11 support.What is the difference between DirectX 10 and DirectX10.1.Will there be any games which will need DirectX 10.1 support.I am asking this because I will buy a graphics card,but I can't decide which one should I get.Radeon or Nvidia?I had my eye on Radeon HD4850 and Geforce 9800GTX for a long time.In the past few days I have heard that Nvidia cards will be better for emulator's games and the games optimized for Nvidia.Alomost all games are optimized for Nvidia cards now a days.Will Geforce 9800GTX+ be a better choice for pc gaming and emulator games?Or the Radeon HD4850 is the beter one.One more thing I won;t be able to play games at more than 1280X1024 resolution as my monitor is 17".So consider that also.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
"DX10.1 fully supports DX10 hardware. No hardware support is being removed....It's strictly a superset. It's basically an update to DX10 that extends the hardware functionality slightly," Glassenberg explained as quoted by Next Generation. "All the hardware is still supported, all the games still run, all the features are still there, we've just simply extended the feature set and the lifetime of the API."

DirectX 10 will be updated with the availability of Windows Vista SP1. Until this point in time, Microsoft managed to avoid the subject of the final release of SP1. However, speculations point to either the end of 2007 or to early 2008 as possible release dates. As Vista SP1 shares the same kernel as Windows Server 2008, a launch after February 2008 is also valid. However, while support for a simple superset will be no issue whatsoever, the integration of new DirectX 10.1 features on existing DirectX 10 infrastructure is problematic.

"There will be new features with DX10.1, and those features may be exposed on new hardware, but this is similar to the model that we had with DX9...except with DX10.1, we're saying to developers, 'if you want to support the new features, you have to support all of them including original DX10 features,'" Glassenberg added. "It's a minor update, so we don't expect any developers to say, 'oh, this game is DX10.1 only. All off the games that are coming out in the next few years will take better and better advantage of current DX10 hardware."
Source

In short: A DX10.1 game will fall back to DX10 for a DX10-based video card.

I'd go with the 9800GTX+. DX10.1? Who cares? :/

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Well, the 9800GTX+ and the Radeon 4850 are neck in neck in performance. In some nVidia wins, in some, AMD/ATI wins.

Which one is cheaper? The big booboo about DX10 is that like Vista, it's a flop, so what more in DX10.1 ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
From what i heard DirectX10.1 is more efficient than DirectX10, probably what was meant to come out from the begining to be directx10, i think its like add-on so there will be probably games that support DirectX10.1 but won't need it, games that are slower on dx10 than dx9 if they support dx10.1 they probably get i boost of fps. I wonder if dx11 will be implemented that fast when most games even now doesn't support dx10 and the ones that do probably are not real dx10, dx9 with some code to dx10, not all dx10.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
I think vista and dx 10 shouldnt even exist it waste our money

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Quite honestly, I'm not even interested for the time being in DX11. DX10 was like the 9800 series; did it really matter? Not really. We could have gone strait from the 8800gtx to the 260 considering most cards Nvidia put out at that time were just rehashes.

Really, has anyone seen any difference at all? Most games I've played with DX10 enabled all look the same save for Assassin's Creed where some of the HDR lighting will show through DX9 textures. I'm tired of gimmicks. If they really want our mouths to salivate; they'll pony up on DX11.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Only if you have an oc'd rig. Vista is slower by default.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Slow down Rap. Youre saying my personal computer is slow!?!

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Slow down Rap. Youre saying my personal computer is slow!?!
No. Everyone's computer is slow compared to Microsoft's standards for Windows Vista. :p What? You have a Core i7 965 running at 4.5GHz 24/7 with some 12GB of DDR3 and tri-SLI GTX 280? Get real... ;p I'd seen what they did to the OS ever since it was in beta... thanks a lot. :evil: Vista Aero used to run even on integrated onboard graphics from decades ago by Intel...

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Rap what are you implying? you're saying Microsoft made vista complicated on purpose??

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Nvidia supports 3/4 of Dx10.1, only failing on the AA+Defferred rendering support.

However, as Psxauthor will validate, there are ways to do this even on Dx9 hardware, should you know what you're doing.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
I smell murder and double dealing. Rap, since your obviously working for the MAN, give us the skinny on windows 7

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
What man? :eek:nthepull

Anyway, Windows 7 is gonna get a netbook version, which I bet is only going to be distributed through netbook manufacturers.

Also... I bet it's going to get pirated to the point where you see torrents with over 11,000 seeds of a 700MB file. And it's going to be soooo loved because it doesn't have all of the boasts and stuffs of the full install.

And then Microsoft would start pushing out netbook versions for every Windows "upverse" after that. ;p Apple might see the opportunity, regret it, then pull off a $500 tiny macbook with a netbook version of Mac OS X 10.7

Then the rest is history... :p

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
You know what man i'm talking about you cloudy criminal. Anyway, is it true that windows will give away free touchscreens to people who legally change they're name to WINDOZOWNZ?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Is it any good? Lemme guess........the drivers are psychotic penguins called prinnies??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts