Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if vmware/virtual pc / anyother can emulate direct 3d?

Because i have an old game called Revenant, which I want to play in windows 98se in a virtual environment.

If you set the game to win95/98 compat it's still as slow as hell on winXP so that's why i want try it like this.

Now i know several years ago they said this was impossible, but they said they were working on it. So have they been able yet?

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
By the way I found more info about your game.

It runs fairly well on an XP Home test system for me, no crashes and I experimented with settings until it played smoothly without 'stuttering';

Pentium IV 1.6
GeForce 3/with .4109 XP driver
SB Live/with .3509 XP driver
Logitech Wingman Extreme gamepad

Full install of Revenant, apply the unsupported Revenant US v1.22 Patch (cinematix.com).

When starting Revenant, go to Advanced Options and set Chunkcache and Preload Sector Size to Maximum if your system is reasonably fast and with more than 128Mb RAM (and Details as well, if you have a 32Mb vid card or higher).

Start the game (if you get an error that says it can't find the CD, just click OK- it will start), go to Options and turn Limit Game Speed Off.

Play and see what you get. Runs well for me, but depending on your hardware and software configuration 'your results may vary'.
If that link doesn't work.

Download the patches from here.
FilePlanet: Patches | Revenant | Action RPG

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Revenant(Locke) works fine on Windows XP SP2 + and does not require any compatibility modes.
Update the application compatibility profiles btw, (Application compatibility toolkit 5.5)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It works yes, but gameplay is choppy.

I will try this virtual machine tommorow, and post back results.

Just hope i can find working drivers for win 95/98. Or maybe virtual machine will do it already itself.. Just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the help guys btw.!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Gameplay is not choppy. if its choppy something is wrong with your system.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
most (free) virtual machines don't get hardware level access, so Direct3D is not available.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
By the way I found more info about your game.

If that link doesn't work.

Download the patches from here.
FilePlanet: Patches | Revenant | Action RPG
I tried your suggestion. But it doesn't help at all.

It does play smoothly but every 30 secs or so, i have a 4 seconds stutter which makes it a bit slower than it's supposed to. And if i disable limit game speed I get insane gamespeed...

Also the game looks kind of crappy with Software3D... Isn't there a way to use direct3d?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I tried your suggestion. But it doesn't help at all.

It does play smoothly but every 30 secs or so, i have a 4 seconds stutter which makes it a bit slower than it's supposed to. And if i disable limit game speed I get insane gamespeed...

Also the game looks kind of crappy with Software3D... Isn't there a way to use direct3d?
you can use direct3D, just disable the speed limiter, and enable vsync in the video card control panel. also disable surface locking(this fixes d3d)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys ,
im new here and i need help on running old games ..
Recently downloaded Revenant .. It able to get to loading page but after it loads there a fatal error occured mentioning
DDER_generic
c:\revenant\DDsurface.cco at line 524

My lappie runs on windows vista 32 bit , nvidia 512MB , 2GB DDR2 ram

I try updated all drivers and download 1.22 patch but its stilll the same

please help~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.