Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just played through this PlayStation classic again. For some reason I feel that the story made much more sense to me 14 years ago when I first played the game. And now that I think about it, the writers must have taken assumptions that alternative realites can't exist and that it's possible to change the past. Wait, but this contradicts each other!

So, from what little we gather from the fanbase-collected game data, the overload triggered by Regina in the original DC saves their sorry hides, but also causes some sort of a time skewing which magically moves some of the dinosaurs from their correct time frame into a bit later Cretaceous period. This would be OK, only the overload (being an "overload") could hardly put the puzzles back to the exact time references and now ALL the dinosaurs become extinct when the meteor hits the Earth, rather than several species surviving and sustaining the evolution.

Right. So, that's what the scientists supposedly learn in 2050s and they devise the Noah's Ark plan to send dinos into the future. Now, hold on a second. These guys learn that humans shouldn't even exist because the overload back in 2009 cut the evolution line. But humans don't start disappearing like in "Back to the Future", right? Otherwise, they'd start dissapeaing already in 2009! Or it should simply cause a crash and destroy the universe that we know. Instead, the evolution in the game's reality already happened and humans already exist. So why bother?

We could assume that the overload created an alternative reality where humans don't exist. But then again, it's an alternative reality that humans in the game's reality won't be affected by! Why undergo a risky project of transporting dinos from the past to the future. That is bound to go wrong. "Why, to save humanity, of course!" they'd say. But humans in the game's reality aren't in danger cause you can't change the past of a given reality. In "Back to the Future" you can, but that's magic and not science fiction. If the same happened in DC, we'd know about it already back in 2009 - News fash: "People magically disappear in a ghost-like outline. We're doomed!" Instead, DC2 story assumes that 40 years after the incident some scientist felt an urge to save some alternative reality. But then the game gives as an assumption that alternative realities don't exist. Otherwise Dylan and his daughter would've died at the end. Regina could possibly save a Dylan of the future, but that would be an alternative reality, right? The being that we know as Dylan willingly dies a painful death in the game's timeline. Regina, you guys could've just stepped through the time gate together before it collapses. "Can only be used once" don't exactly mean "Can only be used by one person."

Really, can somebody who still remembers this game provide a viable explanation why these scientist bother to save humanity that doesn't even need to be saved and, in turn, cause yet another Third Energy accident?

·
It's needle time
822 Posts
According to wikipedia, the game was developed by Capcom, who, in my opinion, write as well as a grade school child writes about his/her vacation.

I would not bother trying to make sense with that story, because I doubt it even makes sense in general.

You may call me biased against Capcom, but I still affirm their stories are crap.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Actually the first one was more of a RE with dinosaurs, actually if we exclude RE1 the horror element was even better then most of the RE series. The second one drops the survival horror aspect and is action/arcade oriented. As for the Dino Crysis 2 story i got immersed in it due to all the files, but at its core its basically about humans playing god, what they wanted to do is get the dinosaurs transported before the comet dropped to a time where the after effects of the comet where gone, but the project failed screwing up the future to the extent you see, back then when i first played it (and when probably you did), being limited knowledgeable about time effects and such it didn't seem like a bad story but now thinking about it there are a lot of flaws, i still enjoy the game despite that though
According to wikipedia, the game was developed by Capcom, who, in my opinion, write as well as a grade school child writes about his/her vacation.

I would not bother trying to make sense with that story, because I doubt it even makes sense in general.

You may call me biased against Capcom, but I still affirm their stories are crap.
Actually RE1 to RE 3 was very well thought, it had some pretty good writing, dept story, plus plot.

·
It's needle time
822 Posts
I do agree that the first one was good, but as the series progressed the violence became more over the top and the stories lost sense. I don't think every game developed by Capcom is bad. Breath of Fire II, for instance, is one of my favourite RPGs of all time and it has a great story, in my opinion.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well i do agree that after the 3rd one it kind of went downhill, especially story wise. But as i said imho it was quite good up to 3, all the plots and connections with the city where quite interesting, also certain elements that connect re 2 and re 3 where fairly interesting. But after the 3rd one as you said it really went down hill especially story and plot wise, and they did go over the top...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just played through this PlayStation classic again. For some reason I feel that the story made much more sense to me 14 years ago when I first played the game. And now that I think about it, the writers must have taken assumptions that alternative realites can't exist and that it's possible to change the past. Wait, but this contradicts each other!

So, from what little we gather from the fanbase-collected game data, the overload triggered by Regina in the original DC saves their sorry hides, but also causes some sort of a time skewing which magically moves some of the dinosaurs from their correct time frame into a bit later Cretaceous period. This would be OK, only the overload (being an "overload") could hardly put the puzzles back to the exact time references and now ALL the dinosaurs become extinct when the meteor hits the Earth, rather than several species surviving and sustaining the evolution.

Right. So, that's what the scientists supposedly learn in 2050s and they devise the Noah's Ark plan to send dinos into the future. Now, hold on a second. These guys learn that humans shouldn't even exist because the overload back in 2009 cut the evolution line. But humans don't start disappearing like in "Back to the Future", right? Otherwise, they'd start dissapeaing already in 2009! Or it should simply cause a crash and destroy the universe that we know. Instead, the evolution in the game's reality already happened and humans already exist. So why bother?

We could assume that the overload created an alternative reality where humans don't exist. But then again, it's an alternative reality that humans in the game's reality won't be affected by! Why undergo a risky project of transporting dinos from the past to the future. That is bound to go wrong. "Why, to save humanity, of course!" they'd say. But humans in the game's reality aren't in danger cause you can't change the past of a given reality. In "Back to the Future" you can, but that's magic and not science fiction. If the same happened in DC, we'd know about it already back in 2009 - News fash: "People magically disappear in a ghost-like outline. We're doomed!" Instead, DC2 story assumes that 40 years after the incident some scientist felt an urge to save some alternative reality. But then the game gives as an assumption that alternative realities don't exist. Otherwise Dylan and his daughter would've died at the end. Regina could possibly save a Dylan of the future, but that would be an alternative reality, right? The being that we know as Dylan willingly dies a painful death in the game's timeline. Regina, you guys could've just stepped through the time gate together before it collapses. "Can only be used once" don't exactly mean "Can only be used by one person."

Really, can somebody who still remembers this game provide a viable explanation why these scientist bother to save humanity that doesn't even need to be saved and, in turn, cause yet another Third Energy accident?
If I'm not wrong the 3rd Energy incident starts to mess up the "original" time line so the Ark plan as conceived to try to fix it. Thing is the game is a loop that repeats itself every 10 years ( this is form a memo near the games' ending), the situation can't be fixed because the acident that triggers the crisis always happens, and by the time we play, can't be avoided. Maybe Regina could break the loop but I thins we'll never know for sure.

By the way, those who died can remember evey time the loop repeated itself and how they died.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,117 Posts
Basically, any storyline that involves "time travel" makes no sense and is always full of loop holes / bugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basically, any storyline that involves "time travel" makes no sense and is always full of loop holes / bugs.
I do think DC2's story kinda makes sense but we need the sequel do fit the whole thing together. If we consider that at least one of the acidents is a loop or is conected to the other we can maybe trace the events to two "main time lines": one in wich Paula was not born yet ( this is before the game starts), Dylan makes the scape and Regina dies for some reason - The "main story line", time passed as it should be and this triggers the events of DC2.
And a second one where we play: Dylan and Paula die at the end, Regina makes the scape and have to return to save them.

One edit to my first post: Those who remember their own deaths and are stuck on the time loop are the ones from the acident with the Ark plan. The soldiers and characters we see at the beginning of the game, the people from the acident narrated at the opening are experiencing all that for the first time(maybe).

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,117 Posts
I do think DC2's story kinda makes sense but we need the sequel do fit the whole thing together. If we consider that at least one of the acidents is a loop or is conected to the other we can maybe trace the events to two "main time lines": one in wich Paula was not born yet ( this is before the game starts), Dylan makes the scape and Regina dies for some reason - The "main story line", time passed as it should be and this triggers the events of DC2.
And a second one where we play: Dylan and Paula die at the end, Regina makes the scape and have to return to save them.

One edit to my first post: Those who remember their own deaths and are stuck on the time loop are the ones from the acident with the Ark plan. The soldiers and characters we see at the beginning of the game, the people from the acident narrated at the opening are experiencing all that for the first time(maybe).
I loved Dino Crisis series (i am a Dinosaur lover), but I can't remember the story at all...

For storyline that involves time travel, i always find them to be unconvince-able and never take them seriously.

If i time travel back to 10 years ago and meet the 10 years ago me, what would happen? that would be 2 me at the same time. And if any future me(s) decides to time travel back to the same year, example 2017, there could be more than 1 or even 100000 me appear at the same time at year of 2017. Nothing about DC, but i just don't buy the idea of time travelling, it is predestined to be full of bugs / loopholes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I loved Dino Crisis series (i am a Dinosaur lover), but I can't remember the story at all...

For storyline that involves time travel, i always find them to be unconvince-able and never take them seriously.

If i time travel back to 10 years ago and meet the 10 years ago me, what would happen? that would be 2 me at the same time. And if any future me(s) decides to time travel back to the same year, example 2017, there could be more than 1 or even 100000 me appear at the same time at year of 2017. Nothing about DC, but i just don't buy the idea of time travelling, it is predestined to be full of bugs / loopholes.
Yeah..thats the major problem with all storylines that use the concept of time travel. But you just did something cool up there, the paradox you wrote is the same ( more or less) that happens with DC2: the acident keeps hapening but the diference is that there's no "clones" when all starts to repeat. I think they tried to use the multiverse "solution" but I don't think they would go this far...

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just finish Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2 and story make sense and it’s quite interesting. Time travel in Dino Crisis is based on multiverse theory. Let’s go explain things.
In Dino Crisis are three different timelines:
-Timeline A
-Timeline B
-Timeline Zero

This timelines were same until July 2009. Third Energy project broken space-time continuum and somehow separate this three timelines. Dino Crisis 1 has three different endings, one ending for one timeline. It is important to know, that Third Energy don’t cause time travel, but space-time travel. So dinosaurs Regina met in Dino crisis 1 are from different Timeline.
In Timeline B Regina was fighting dinosaurs from far past of Timeline Zero. In Timeline B in July 2009 Regina didn't follow mission objectives, she didn't obtain Third Energy data and Dr. Kirk died on island. Regina and her crewmates escaped via Hovercraft and destroyed Island with Third Energy overload.
What happened in this time on Timeline Zero is irrelevant, because Third Energy overload from Timeline B in July 2009 caused catastrophe in Timeline Zero in far past, in Cretaceous Era. In origin timeline in Cretaceous Era dinosaurs extinct after meteor fall on Earth, but later humanity evolved. For some reason, events in Timeline B in July 2009 caused in Timeline Zero, that humanity didn't evolve after meteor fall. So Timeline Zero was altered and humans didn't exist in this timeline anymore.
Back in Timeline B after events of July 2009, Dr. Kirk was death and Third Energy data from Island was lost. Third Energy project was lost too, but in next decades scientists reinvent project. Later scientists found out what happened in Timeline Zero and what caused it. International organization decided that timeline Zero will be fixed. Why you ask? In the time before August 2055, humans are capable of space-time travel based on Third Energy. Traveling to future without humanity was somehow scary for them. Yeah, it was not future of Timeline B, but Timeline Zero. Nothing less, they wanted to fix that. Maybe because scientists where afraid it can be their future as well. Or maybe scientists wanted to play gods and created life. Or why not? So, International organization created Noah's Ark Plan. Plan was “simple“ and has three steps.

First step of Noah's Ark Plan:
Special team traveled to past in Cretaceous Era before meteor fall on Earth and captured dinosaurs and other live organisms and traveled back to the present (Timeline B, time not long before August 2055).
Second step of Noah's Ark Plan:
In August 2055 Special team traveled to far future (three million years) and built some sort of Dino park, where dinosaurs was living and breeding. In far future in Timeline Zero, their built facility with special life support chambers for dinosaurs and holograms for communications. That is technology of year 2055 for you. Special team contained characters as (Old) Dylan Morton with his family or (Old) Regina.
Last step of Noah's Ark Plan:
Plan was transport Dinosaurs from future to the present (Timeline B, after August 2055). Next step was transport to far past in Cretaceous Era after meteor fall on Earth and release dinosaurs and other live organisms. Wondering why they wanted to travel to the present? Why they not travel directly from far future Timeline Zero to far past Timeline Zero? This is not possible. Third Energy space-time travel is creating portal from present timeline to different time in other timeline. This portal can be close and reopen. But you can travel only from start point to finish point and back.
But last step of Noah's Ark Plan was not executed. In far future of Timeline Zero, when special team attempted to return, time portal overloaded and was destroyed. So, special team with their families was trapped in far future of Timeline Zero with dinosaurs. Only survivors of special team were children. Children were placed in special life support chambers, originally designed for dinosaurs. That’s all for Timeline B.

Timeline A and Timeline B were same until July 2009. Third Energy project broken space-time continuum and somehow separate this timelines.
In Timeline A in July 2009 Regina was fighting dinosaurs from far past Timeline Zero. She did follow mission objectives, she did obtain Third Energy data and Dr. Kirk survived. Regina escaped with Dr. Kirk from island, which remained in one piece.
Scientists, with help from Dr. Kirk and retrieved Third Energy data, could continue Third Energy project right away. And so in January 2010, Third Energy accident occurs at Edward City. Edward City with its surrounding countryside and facilities disappeared to different time-space. In May 2010 TRAT team with (young) Dylan Morton and Regina traveled to space and time, where scientist concluded city was transported. Mission of team was finding survivors and obtains Third Energy data. In first thought, you may think TRAT team and Edward City was traveling to far past, but in reality Edward City traveled to far future on Timeline Zero, time after events of Timeline B resolved. TRAT team traveled ten years later after Edward City occurred in Timeline Zero. After ten years nobody survives from Edward City.
In cutscene in Dino Crisis 2 we can see soldiers fighting dinosaurs in Eduard City. These soldiers are remaining TRAT team. Masked characters attacking Dylan and Regina were of course children of special team from Timeline B.
In the end of Dino Crisis 2 Dylan form timeline A can see hologram from old Dylan from timeline B. Why old Dylan call potential rescuer from past by name Dylan? Old Dylan was soldier and not scientist and don’t know how this time travel works. He has lucky guess. Why young Dylan think Regina can save him with time travel? Young Dylan was soldier and not scientist and don’t know how this time travel works. He has not so lucky guess. Portal was reopened and Regina from Timeline A in 2010 traveled from far future Timeline Zero to Timeline B in date after august 2055.

Crazy, right? It’s all that really canon? I don’t know, probably no, because I was guessing some thinks and your guess is good as main.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts