Next Generation Emulation banner

Difference between 1366 and 1156?

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  BinarySlave 
Go for 1366. Also, be sure to get a mobo with 6 RAM slots (there are mobos out there with 3 or 4).
In case you don't want to spend cash for an extra audio card some mobos come with integrated X-FI (through software, but still above most other integrated solutions) which means various extra SFX plus EAX support.
Another thing to consider is connectivity. Be sure to get a mobo with at least 8 SATA and one eSATA connectors (or even two eSATA) since everything that comes out lately uses that interface.
SAS support is a plus if you can get a cheap mobo with integrated support for it, especially if you want extra reliability and such.

My opinion however is to wait a bit. Not because of new CPUs coming out and such but because of those:

1. USB 3 is going to be out one of these days so wait until mobos supporting 1366 CPUs implement it.
2. SATA 3 (6 Gbps) is going to be out too one of these days so wait for it to be implemented too.

It's not wise to build a new system right before new technologies come out on the marker. You end up outdated fast, not to mention that if you don't mind the system being outdated you can get it far cheaper right after the new stuff come out.

This is not a new expansion card or CPU that can be easily replaced coming out. These are connections on the mobo itself that if they end up outdated you'll have to get more expansion cards in the future to support the new stuff. The system will end up bloated, not to mention that the integrated connections on the mobo will end up unused.
In short, be patient... unless you're willing to spend your cash for nothing.

As far as I remember USB 2 and SATA II were not needed either just when they came out... but they were a couple of months later.
Of course if people plan to buy another new PC in a couple of months I'm OK with it. :p

Oh c'mon people, there are other controllers that can be used to add extra functionality, either if they are used to add SATA 3 and USB 3 support or just to increase the number of existing connections. Intel supports like what?... 6 SATA devices on their chipsets? There are mobos out there with a dozen of different extra controllers adding from IDE support to extra SATA II connections, eSATA, SAS, etc.

The problem is that data still pass through the PCI bus. Even if you get an add-on card this limitation still exists, it also exists on the gigabyte mobo you linked at (no SATA 3 or USB 3 with 2nd PCI slot occupied). What's the point of upgrading if the speed gain is minor or gets in the way?
Anyway, asus seems to have a more "proper" implementation on some of their mobos.

Edit:

New technologies is a reason to wait in my opinion. Like the AGP to PCIe change, or the IDE to SATA, or even the different CPU sockets. You don't get a new PC to be unable to do any sort of serious upgrade in the long run. Imagine being limited to USB 1 and IDE speeds for your current system. Imagine trying to find a first party AGP video card with acceptable performance (only radeon AGP cards perform relatively well but AMD does not even support them).

Ehm, I think you got it all wrong. Implementations of those technologies already started. It's a matter of weeks until relevant socket 1366 hardware hits the stores. And no, according to the announced prices (and the price of the mobo you posted) newer mobos will not be overpriced compared to current 1366 and 1156 mobos.

I'm usually against waiting for newer stuff to get out on the market since technology moves fast. On the particular case however that's what I'd recommend. That's because technologies of this kind stay for a while and do not get outdated every few months or so.
You say that USB 3 and SATA 3 are useless. I see that SATA killed IDE a while after it came out, to the point that some mobos don't even have IDE connectors at all any more. I saw that USB 2 devices of all sorts flooded the market once USB 2 came out, from external disc drives to external HDDs and flash drives.

It might be just me but when I plan to spend money on something new I make sure it will be future-proof as much as possible, especially if it has hardware limitations that can't be upgraded/changed/whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.