Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I do as of the past week but I do them a different way , I do them near a wall with My feet on the wall and My rear end on the floor and I try to get My kiester near the wall and do about 300-400 every 30 minutes and Lately My stomach has been feeling like a brick , and I have gained 4 pounds of muscle in the last week and a half .I apolagize if I sound like I am bragging .
 

·
The one and only
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
hmm i do bicycles. They are proven to be the #1 ab workout I already havea six pak and im 15
 

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
Joined
·
5,370 Posts
this thread is simmilar to one about martial arts, we had some time ago :), I used to do lots of stomach crunches... but since I stoped training MA (about half of year ago...) I don't do them... but I hope that from september I will be able to go back to my dojo and contiune my traning (stomach crunches included ;) ) so wish me luck :)
 

·
The one and only
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
no not bicycleing, Bicycles, the exercise, go google it
 

·
Coffee Demon
Joined
·
2,907 Posts
Interesting choice for a topic...

Just some advice....Always try to change up your abdominal exercise routine. Your body tends to adapt to a routine. After that your development slows down or stops. Always try and shock your abs with something new.

Also keep in mind your abs consist of 6 groups...crunches are good, but they prominantly work the upper abs. Bicycles take care of some lower development..Be sure not to ignore the obliques as well
 

·
Transcended
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Hm... any tips on the obliques, DW?
 

·
The one and only
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
obliques? do bicycles too
 

·
Transcended
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Aside from bicycles... :)
 

·
The one and only
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
bicycles are the best! bicyclesbicyclesbicycles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,504 Posts
I can keep up with exercise, but I was never good with keeping a diet....do I really need both to lose some weight???....that is, if I don't literally gorge myself, and keep my eating at a reasonably steady schedule throughout the days?
 

·
Coffee Demon
Joined
·
2,907 Posts
argh...diet..we hate that word... They are short term.. In order to get results you have to change the way you eat, and to some degree what you eat.

DW eats 6 times a day...granted we are demonic in nature, but follow the logic.

Most people eat just the 3 main meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)...some eat less then that...This doesn't work well...just think about lunch and dinner...the time in between is so far apart that by the time dinner time comes around you are most likely starving...So do you think your gonna take the time to eat something sensible and healthy? Hell no..your gonna reach for the first thing that is available...usually this is crap food that makes you even more fat, and because your so hungry you find yourself eating even more till your full...

So we eat 5 to 6 times a day...the main 3 meals and snacks in between. Now when we say snacks we are not talking about cupcakes and crap. Yogurt, peanut butter on wheat bread, tuna, a protein bar, oatmeal packets, trail mix, etc...These are just a few examples that we use. These contain protein and a few complex carbs...they are slowly digested, and hold you over till your next meal. By then you can eat a sensible lunch and dinner and not have to worry about overeating...Your body is like a furnace..and your chucking coal into it...you throw small amounts of coal in at a time and it burns super hot. If you throw in a big arse piece of coal (like a big dinner) it doesn't burn as hot, the flames get lower, and it leaves behind residue. Don't throw in coal (don't eat) the flames start to die....This is your metabolism...so chuck in some small coal man! Here is some bonus trivia... 1/3 of the calories your body burns is through digesting food.

Here are some other pointers:

1. Never eat till your full! Just satisfied

2. Drink Water..and a lot of it. Sometimes your body doesn't differentiate between hunger and thirst. It also is the perfect filler and expands the food in your stomach (I.E. satisfied faster)

3. Don't fall into the "no fat" and "no carb" bullcrap...These are fad foods that don't really do anything for you. If anything they pack in crap that may make you more fat. Examples? Look at the labels and look for these additives.

a. Partially Hydrogenated Oils - Now known as the demonic "TRANS FAT"...this crap enters your body and goes straight into your fat stores

b. High Fructose Corn Syrup - This is a genetically altered sweetener can jack you up worse then you know. GOOGLE it to see what we mean.

4. Try to curb your soda intake..thats a given...and if you drink juice try to do natural.

5. Give yourself 1 cheat day where you let yourself eat whatever the F you want. It gives you something to look forward to, and helps curb the urges you get through the week. Don't go insane though!

6. Stop eating 3 hours before you normally go to bed

7. Don't skip breakfast!!! It is the kick start of the morning..It's like booting up your PC....If you skip meals your body slows down your metabolism...slower metabolism = hard as ****e to lose weight

8. Don't go off a fackin scale to determine your overall fitness. Muscle weighs more then fat...So you could be working out hard, and jump on a scale thinking you made a difference, and still look like you gained weight...nope it could be muscle...Scan the web for countless ways to find your fat % and go more off that then what the scale tells you.

9. Keep up the workouts, and try to focus more on weight training. We could go in depth on how this is a better way to go, but to keep it simple know this....Your body burns 50 calories a day to maintain 1 pound of muscle just standing still....Think about that.

10. Its all about what you eat...and we can tell you the more you work out..the more you will eat. So stay the fack away from junk food...If you find yourself at McDonalds (just an example)..get yourself 2 cheeseburgers instead of a Big Mac..get a side salad instead of Fries..Get a minute maid light lemonade instead of soda...It is all about substitutions and discipline....Gotta have that Big Mac? save it for a cheat day...

bah..we can ramble on about this crap, but trust us..we know what we are talking about....possibly a side career for ole DW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,504 Posts
I am forever grateful of all your knowledge...just a few questions though:
4. Try to curb your soda intake..thats a given...and if you drink juice try to do natural.
is diet OK to drink?...all my work has to drink is diet Coke from tap, fruit punch and lemonade from tap, and some cruddy water from downtown :p
10. Its all about what you eat...and we can tell you the more you work out..the more you will eat. So stay the fack away from junk food...If you find yourself at McDonalds (just an example)..get yourself 2 cheeseburgers instead of a Big Mac..get a side salad instead of Fries..Get a minute maid light lemonade instead of soda...It is all about substitutions and discipline....Gotta have that Big Mac? save it for a cheat day...
that's my problem.....I can't get a taste for vegetables. I tried salad with ranch dressing, but I just hate the texture of those foods....some fruits too. I gotta learn how to stop being a picky ***** :p any advice on that? (yes...I can't even do the baby carrot/ranch dressing trick without gagging :p )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Bah, you don't necessarily have to change your diet to lose weight. I was in the best shape of my life when I ate the most. It's all about activity level. At that time I played basketball for a 2 or 3 hours almost every day and walked just about everywhere too. I also was playing football and tennis at the time. Since my activity level was so high I could eat and drink whatever and however much I wanted and still lost weight.
 

·
Coffee Demon
Joined
·
2,907 Posts
Rhombus said:
Bah, you don't necessarily have to change your diet to lose weight. I was in the best shape of my life when I ate the most. It's all about activity level. At that time I played basketball for a 2 or 3 hours almost every day and walked just about everywhere too. I also was playing football and tennis at the time. Since my activity level was so high I could eat and drink whatever and however much I wanted and still lost weight.
This is true...especially when you are younger, but this same way of thinking will haunt you as you grow older and have to juggle school, work, and other elements of real life. It works for you now because you potentially have the time to spare. The bad thing is you will eventually slow down, and if your eating habits don't change you won't continue to be in such good shape.

@ Kirby

Diet soda is OK for a quick fix (nice little booster before a workout), but at the same time soda is a duretic. In other words..the contents actually sap more fluids from your body then it puts in. We would really push you to drink water (maybe bring your own), but if push comes to shove.. have the lemonade.

Not a veggie eater aye...hmm...you may want to look into a multivitamin. Without veggies you are sorely lacking on some much needed Vits and Mins. We might also suggest experimenting to see if in fact there is something you like.
Think about this...you probably put away some burgers in your time...They usually come with lettuce, pickles, tomato, and onions...so there are some veggies. Sometimes you have to eat them slightly different then the norm.

for example..we hate broccoli, but put some melted cheese and we are all over it. We also dip carrot sticks in peanut butter as a snack. When we go to a sandwich place like Subway we pile on the veggies. We top pizzas with veggies also...There are many ways to get past the veggie hurdle
 

·
band
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
darkwatcher u are amazing. granted i follow none of them, ill be sure to bookmark this thread for future usage when im older :).

where do u learn this from? is it related to your work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I've just started doing stomach crunches, not seeing any results yet, obviously, but I like feeling as if I've spent some quality time enhancing myself to some degree. I'm going to bust out the weights later in the week, to work on other areas, but for now, I've been doing some beginner ab working. I wouldn't say I'm overweight at all -- I'm skinny, with no muscle. :(

Hopefully in a few weeks time, I'll see some sort of improvement. But yeah, this thread initially got me into the idea of working out. Props. xP
 

·
Coffee Demon
Joined
·
2,907 Posts
D.D. said:
darkwatcher u are amazing. granted i follow none of them, ill be sure to bookmark this thread for future usage when im older :).

where do u learn this from? is it related to your work?
We took an interest in fitness initially from our time in the military. Through the Marines we saw ourselves grow from a 118 pound shadow to a 165 pound demon. We then decided to completely rethink our college major after the computer tech field went to hell. We had always been curious about all the diet fads like Atkins, Southbeach, No Fat, etc...So we began taking courses focused on Nutritional Science, and reading tons of books and articles and applying the knowledge to our experiences in the military. We now weigh in at 180 pounds at 5'9in , and may be pursuing a Physical Training certification some time soon.
Right now it is more hobby then anything...but would be a fulfilling side career.

@ blueshift

Good idea :thumb:
 

·
Psychotic Robot Master
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
argh...diet..we hate that word... They are short term.. In order to get results you have to change the way you eat, and to some degree what you eat.

DW eats 6 times a day...granted we are demonic in nature, but follow the logic.

Most people eat just the 3 main meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)...some eat less then that...This doesn't work well...just think about lunch and dinner...the time in between is so far apart that by the time dinner time comes around you are most likely starving...So do you think your gonna take the time to eat something sensible and healthy? Hell no..your gonna reach for the first thing that is available...usually this is crap food that makes you even more fat, and because your so hungry you find yourself eating even more till your full...

So we eat 5 to 6 times a day...the main 3 meals and snacks in between. Now when we say snacks we are not talking about cupcakes and crap. Yogurt, peanut butter on wheat bread, tuna, a protein bar, oatmeal packets, trail mix, etc...These are just a few examples that we use. These contain protein and a few complex carbs...they are slowly digested, and hold you over till your next meal. By then you can eat a sensible lunch and dinner and not have to worry about overeating...Your body is like a furnace..and your chucking coal into it...you throw small amounts of coal in at a time and it burns super hot. If you throw in a big arse piece of coal (like a big dinner) it doesn't burn as hot, the flames get lower, and it leaves behind residue. Don't throw in coal (don't eat) the flames start to die....This is your metabolism...so chuck in some small coal man! Here is some bonus trivia... 1/3 of the calories your body burns is through digesting food.

Here are some other pointers:

1. Never eat till your full! Just satisfied

2. Drink Water..and a lot of it. Sometimes your body doesn't differentiate between hunger and thirst. It also is the perfect filler and expands the food in your stomach (I.E. satisfied faster)

3. Don't fall into the "no fat" and "no carb" bullcrap...These are fad foods that don't really do anything for you. If anything they pack in crap that may make you more fat. Examples? Look at the labels and look for these additives.

a. Partially Hydrogenated Oils - Now known as the demonic "TRANS FAT"...this crap enters your body and goes straight into your fat stores

b. High Fructose Corn Syrup - This is a genetically altered sweetener can jack you up worse then you know. GOOGLE it to see what we mean.

4. Try to curb your soda intake..thats a given...and if you drink juice try to do natural.

5. Give yourself 1 cheat day where you let yourself eat whatever the F you want. It gives you something to look forward to, and helps curb the urges you get through the week. Don't go insane though!

6. Stop eating 3 hours before you normally go to bed

7. Don't skip breakfast!!! It is the kick start of the morning..It's like booting up your PC....If you skip meals your body slows down your metabolism...slower metabolism = hard as ****e to lose weight

8. Don't go off a fackin scale to determine your overall fitness. Muscle weighs more then fat...So you could be working out hard, and jump on a scale thinking you made a difference, and still look like you gained weight...nope it could be muscle...Scan the web for countless ways to find your fat % and go more off that then what the scale tells you.

9. Keep up the workouts, and try to focus more on weight training. We could go in depth on how this is a better way to go, but to keep it simple know this....Your body burns 50 calories a day to maintain 1 pound of muscle just standing still....Think about that.

10. Its all about what you eat...and we can tell you the more you work out..the more you will eat. So stay the fack away from junk food...If you find yourself at McDonalds (just an example)..get yourself 2 cheeseburgers instead of a Big Mac..get a side salad instead of Fries..Get a minute maid light lemonade instead of soda...It is all about substitutions and discipline....Gotta have that Big Mac? save it for a cheat day...

bah..we can ramble on about this crap, but trust us..we know what we are talking about....possibly a side career for ole DW
Thanks alot DW! :D

Yet I like the way I look but could always use some weight loss ;)

Rock on my Ninja Warrior! :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top