Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main OS was Vista before I installed Win7 RC and I noticed difference of DeSmuME image quality, on Vista it looks much better!
here's some screenshot for comparison with 2.5X windows size (first one is Vista) :

I Have ATI Card, and set the Catalyst with Optimal Quality (I.E. 4XAA 16XAF), with Vista this setting affect DeSmuME while on 7 it does nothing.
My question is, can it be done on 7, if yes how?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
It sounds as if this is ATI's fault and not DeSmuMEs. Remember 7 is actually currently still in Beta so not all graphics drivers have matured sufficiently for it yet. Perhaps future Catalyst versions may fix it but for now you will just have to live with it.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
It's not a filter, what you are doing is forcing Anti-Aliasing on DeSmuME (something which by the way can slow things down a lot if for instance forced on the latest PC Games or more demanding Emus so keep that in mind).

Hopefully though not too far in the future DeSmuME will get some filters added to it like many of addons for no$gba have. A nice Bilenear filter should be able to achieve roughly the same effect although perhaps a little more blurry. A filter should also come at less of a performance hit than forcing AA.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah yes... the thing is, this forced AA only present if I use Windows Aero, else it won't. So, I assumed it's some fullscreen filtering done by windows, which activate if Aero is used.
But well, I don't understand how technical issue in Windows woks (things like GDI, GDI+ or Direct2D) my only sources is wikipedia, so correct me if I'm wrong :innocent:

·
desmume coder
490 Posts
this is ancient directdraw behavior. when directdraw is working correctly, it will bilinear filter when stretching a blit from a back buffer to the front buffer. it does this when hardware acceleration is available. when hardware acceleration is unavailable, it is unfiltered. you see this problem on broken systems all the time. it is usually the video driver's fault, though it can also just be a symptom of an old cruddy broken windows install.

there is no way to control this. it is automatic. there is a tweak I can do in the code, but it will slow down performance on systems that are working correctly and I don't want to do that right now.

now, recently, newer versions of windows are uninterested in keeping robust support for older apis like directdraw, even though there are thousands of apps that use it. and even if it works in windows 7, video card manufacturers are reluctant (especially ati whose drivers have always sucked and probably still suck) to spend the time necessary to properly support old directdraw when theyre having to rewrite their drivers for new versions of windows.

So your problem may magically fix with a new version of windows and a new version of display drivers.

Don't hold your breath for any filters added into the emulator, I dont think we have any programmers now that are interested in that stuff.

Enabling AA only works for 3d apps. Desmume's final presentation is done with directdraw. AA won't help. And if it does, then either your video driver is not working correctly, or you are using the ogl renderer and seeing the differences in there only for the 3d graphics in desmume. And it probably looks like ass, but I wouldnt necessarily expect anyone to know what ass looks like.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Thanks for that informative explanation zeromus :)

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is ancient directdraw behavior. when directdraw is working correctly, it will bilinear filter when stretching a blit from a back buffer to the front buffer. it does this when hardware acceleration is available. when hardware acceleration is unavailable, it is unfiltered. you see this problem on broken systems all the time. it is usually the video driver's fault, though it can also just be a symptom of an old cruddy broken windows install.

there is no way to control this. it is automatic. there is a tweak I can do in the code, but it will slow down performance on systems that are working correctly and I don't want to do that right now.

now, recently, newer versions of windows are uninterested in keeping robust support for older apis like directdraw, even though there are thousands of apps that use it. and even if it works in windows 7, video card manufacturers are reluctant (especially ati whose drivers have always sucked and probably still suck) to spend the time necessary to properly support old directdraw when theyre having to rewrite their drivers for new versions of windows.

So your problem may magically fix with a new version of windows and a new version of display drivers.

Don't hold your breath for any filters added into the emulator, I dont think we have any programmers now that are interested in that stuff.

Enabling AA only works for 3d apps. Desmume's final presentation is done with directdraw. AA won't help. And if it does, then either your video driver is not working correctly, or you are using the ogl renderer and seeing the differences in there only for the 3d graphics in desmume. And it probably looks like ass, but I wouldnt necessarily expect anyone to know what ass looks like.
Oh I see, directdraw huh? :eyemove:
and you're right about AA doesn't help on 2D games, tried it, looks the same :dead: but at least bilinear filter works :D
I think 3D games with AA look fabulous though...:)
thank you for your time explaining here, and you guys have done wonderful job on this emu, thanks! :thumb:

·
desmume coder
490 Posts
I mentioned this and someone got interested. in the SVN windows builds there are now 2x filters

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Cool :)
All I need is simple bilenear filter though XD (it seems my gfx drivers and/or windows are not auto-filtering DeSmuME as you said they should).

·
desmume coder
490 Posts
ill add a simple bilinear at some point.
it wasnt in until 2569.
it will help if you build it yourself but only if you know what you are doing. look for profiler guided optimizations.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
That would be real nice zeromus, my thanks in advance for whenever you get around to it (even if it's only a year from now, no pressure, the addition of action replay codes was already enough for me to enjoy DeSmuME 100%, this would just be icing on the cake).

Lol have a little patience nanaya :p, you were looking at no filters at all before so a couple of days till someone makes a new compile is hardly going to kill you.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be real nice zeromus, my thanks in advance for whenever you get around to it (even if it's only a year from now, no pressure, the addition of action replay codes was already enough for me to enjoy DeSmuME 100%, this would just be icing on the cake).

Lol have a little patience nanaya :p, you were looking at no filters at all before so a couple of days till someone makes a new compile is hardly going to kill you.
yap no pressure here too, you've already done superb job man :beer:

haha, it just coincide with my vista crash :dead: and I'm back on 7 (no filter).
so, seeing this news excites me :emb:

·
desmume coder
490 Posts
I should mention that we also just checked in something which will bust your savestates. Sorry.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
permanently?

·
desmume coder
490 Posts
i mean your old savestates are invalidated. youll have to make new ones

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Aah I see. That happens over and over again....would you mind explaining why? Cuz considering how flawlessly they seem to work it seems strange that they go through such major changes that they get invalidated every few versions?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.