Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm kinda in a bind here and I need a second opinion on this. Okay here's how it goes...

I have an offer to buy a GeForce2 Ultra DDR for $250 CDN!!! Kickass price, but unfortunatly I have a system as follows:

450Mhz AMD K6-2 3D
16MB Voodoo 3 2000 @161Mhz
128MB PC100 SDRAM
Sound Blaster Live! Value
PC Partner VIB87DS with VIA MVP3 chipset
52X Creative CDROM
Plexwriter 12/10/32A
30GB Maxtor 7200
20GB Quantum 5400
Linksys 10/100 NIC
Aopen 10BT ISA NIC

Anyways, I have been thinking of upgrading for a while now (if you didn't notice my ancient specs) but the problem is that I can't really get the money to get better parts until maybe next February or March. If I get my student loan however, this all changes to before the year ends. So the real issue here is: Do you think that a GeForce2 Ultra DDR will be outdated halfway into the next year? Should I buy now and enjoy a few extra frames capped with my shitty system until I can get my new system? Or should I just wait altogether and get all new stuff at the same time?

One last thing. In games such as UT or Soldier of Fortune, the framrate lags to an UNBEARABLY slow rate when there are too many laser beams, bullets and blood to draw. But is pretty smooth otherwise. Example: *Most* deathmatches in UT are very nice and smooth, but Domination is horribly chunky when there is action. SOF is pretty smooth until the first desert level where action causes chunking. Deus Ex is unplayable due to slowness even in training mode. Most 3D games in ePSXe are just a few (10-20) frames too slow to be smooth using Lewpy's plugin @640x480. Will the GeForce make these games playable at all or is it more the fault of the CPU? Keep in mind I am using a Voodoo 3 2000 @161Mhz.

I would appreciate any responses. Many thanks!

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
A GeForce 2 Ultra DDR for $250 is a VERY good deal. You should definitely take up on it. It'll produce smooth frame rates on even your ancient system(at least UT and SOF will be fully playable). I say keep the card around and when you get your new system just pop it in. The GeForce 2 Ultra will last you for at least 2 years so don't worry about it being outdated anytime soon.

The slowdowns don't seem to be linked to your video card. I have a TNT2, which is similar to the Voodoo 3 2K and it doesn't slowdown anywhere, and neither does my Voodoo 2! I think it may be the limitations of your CPU(K6-2 has a terrible FPU, bad for 3D games) or chipset. Still, you should take up on the deal. The new GeForce 3 cards are rather expensive, and the GeForce 2 Ultra is a very sweet card.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
U should definitively upgrade ur computer...
Having a geforce2 Ultra w/ a k6-2 cpu is like having a ferrari w/ a bad pilot.
U couldn t reach all the GF2U is offering...
Athlons and mobo are quite cheap now, if U have enough money, U should upgrade.

Bye

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I find out I can get a 3d Prophet 4500 for the same price as well!!! Argh too many things to think about!!!

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Neo_ZX
Now I find out I can get a 3d Prophet 4500 for the same price as well!!! Argh too many things to think about!!!
Go for the GeForce 2 Ultra. It's far better than the Hercules Prophet 4500. Currently the only video card faster than the GF2 Ultra is the GeForce 3. You shoud really get a system upgrade though. I would recommend a Duron system. It's a value processor but packs a lot of punch. A Duron 900 Mhz is $90 US, with a good mobo it comes to about $200 total(tax not included).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts