Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to go about deciphering a file format that there is no information on? I know the file is an image file, I know where the signature is, and I know where the width and height of the image are. How can I find some more info on this format? I have a way of viewing the image and I can use a hex editor :). I could just go through the file changing every byte and seeing how it affects the image, but is there another way I could do it to make it easier?

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I'm not sure if it's alright to post about because it's an Xbox image file, and of course the only way I could of got that was through modded Xbox. It would probably be illegal to post even an image file on here. Anyway, it's the mission clear images from Guilty Gear X2 Reloaded. I'm positive it's compressed, the images are 640 x 480 and about 150K. I want to figure out the format so I can convert them and use them on a PC.

I'm not really sure if what I call the signature is the signature at all. It's basically the bytes at the beginning that don't change. I noticed some of the bytes were 640 and 480, I immediately assumed this was the width and height. I changed it, and put the file back in the game, and I was correct. So, I consider everything before that the signature. I looked at some common image formats, but it doesn't seem like any of them.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alot of the picture seems black. I can't really tell if there are any artifacts, the image is on a TV screen and so is kind of blurry. These are the hex codes before the width and height: 10 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 00 20 00 08 00. So there really aren't any letters, or anything. If it's not against the rules, which I doubt it isn't, I'll post the image file here.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the thing is, I kinda wanted to figure out the format on my own. Sort of a little project. It's just I'm not quite sure how to start. Is the best course of action really to just alter the file and see how it changes when displayed? This would be quite tedious, considering I would constantly have to reset my Xbox. Though, if that is the only way, so be it :|.

·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, reverse engineering for learning purposes is legal. It's using the code as your own that is illegal. I have a very strong feeling this file is RLE. Unfortunately, I haven't made any kind of new discovery yet. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts