Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4400. Its a really great card and can hold its own against many new games with outstanding graphics. Although, I want to upgrade. I'm an NVidia person, and I was looking at the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra card, but they cost $440 new! Whats with that? And the GeForce 6600 GT costs from $160 - $200 new. Is the 5950 card better? I've heard that the 5 series was overpriced, but I don't know what to go for. Opinions are welcome. Just dont flame me because I dont use ATI :cool: .

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I've been comparing the two, and it seems the AGP version of the 6600 GT is losing the battle to the AGP version of the 5950 Ultra. Here are the specs taken from the NVidia website:

These are the AGP specs, since i dont have any PCI Express slots on my motherboard. Clearly, the 6600 GT is the winner, and I've seen it come on top many times in comparisons of games. But still, is the 5950 Ultra still faster at some things then the 6600 GT? Sorry if the chart is screwed up a little. I dont know how to get text to format correctly on the forums here. Plus I'm to lazy to fix it in notepad :p

O, and *Maximun in a single rendering pass.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Do not buy a 5950 card. Please save yourself that in this current game its a horrible choice for a configuration. Do not be misled by the numbers. The 6600GT has a far superior fragment pipeline.

·
Eh??
1,737 Posts
Meh, sometimes I wonder... Ppl always go for newer video cards... and actually complain that some 6 months old card is crap.

Funny thing: I still have my old GeForce 4 MX 440, with 64 MB, but I can play any newer game at full speed!! Maybe this is 'cause I still use the 3082 driver?!?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
psicomaniaco said:
Meh, sometimes I wonder... Ppl always go for newer video cards... and actually complain that some 6 months old card is crap.

Funny thing: I still have my old GeForce 4 MX 440, with 64 MB, but I can play any newer game at full speed!! Maybe this is 'cause I still use the 3082 driver?!?
I doubt you're playing those games with all image enhancing options enabled.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Yes. Do NOT look at the numbers spec. 6600GT is incredible card for its price. Hell, if it would have 256MB ram, and some overclocking, it would kick 6800nu's arse. 5000 serie FX cards dont stand a chance.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Actualy it's more that the 5xxx series was poorly designed and thus much slower than it should be

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
the FX5950Ultra has 256bit memory architecture running at 950Mhz giving it a theoretical 30.4GB/sec. and it also has 256MB of vram over the less impressive specs of the 6600GT, but that does not liberate it from its rather POOR DirectX 9 performance, the 6600GT has much better DX9 support and performance that will actually leave the FX5950 in the dust.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The 6600GT has less memory bandwidth than a 9800 Pro, yet it outperforms it in a good portion of tests ;). Considering that practically every new game uses DX9, it wouldn't be a smart move to get the FX.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the 6600 GT. Thanks for all your opinions. Clearly, you were right. I had to up the Drive Rate on the AGP port(my mobo is 4 years old) so the card would run without problems.

Yeah its a great card. Halo runs swell, and after a good format, I expect all the emus to once again run(i've been having trouble with emus lately. SP2 maybe?)

I'm just not an ATI person.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought I'd show you how fast I got my card running. The card comes with an overclocking utility called D.O.T but I'm still using CoolBits. Heres a screen of the optimal performance.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ViperXtreme said:
what brand is your 6600GT? looks like your temp monitor is disabled by default in the video bios.
Its an MSI.

Also, i've found that at 550mhz clock speed, Halo showed me funny purple triangles in one part of a cinematic. Everything else worked fine tho. I decided to put it to 525mhz and now I ain't having any problems. And also, I'm sure its probably pretty cool, since I have **** cooling in here, I leave the side of the computer case open.

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
those triangle thing are probably artifacts caused by higher overclock, probably heat issue.

some 6600GT cards had their temperature monitor disabled for some reason, i believe you can also activate it trough bios flashing and editing(i had mine flashed)

·
Registered
226 Posts
FX series suck ass. I would have recommend you an ATI. But you're not a 'ATI' kind of guy :p Go for the 6600 GT. Far more powerfull than 5950 ultra

cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts