Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm using Peops plugin for 2D games, and whenever I have both vsync & scanlines enabled, epsxe slows down to a ridiculous pace. Games run fine if one or the other is activated, but not when both of them are. I'm also using System Memory, because I dislike the auto-filtering effect.

Weird thing is, if I disable all of the sound settings (or use the MIDAS spu), then games run at a good speed when both vsync/scanlines are on. Are there any other possible ways for me to cut corners on memory, while still 1) having vsync & scanlines, 2) running off sys memory, and 3) having decent sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Celeron
RAM: 504 MB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 4X AGP

Plugin Config
Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [16 Bit]
Stretch mode: 0
Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: on
- FPS limit: 60

Misc:
- Scanlines: standard
- Game fixes: on [000000c0] (enabled "lazy screen updates" & "old frame-skipping")

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Trust me:
The current card you are using doesn't help in improving the game performance at all.
By deactivating special fixes, frame skipping, vsync (because its TAKES up a lot of video memory and sync with LCD refresh).
After that, if it is still slow, lowering the resolution would help.

Upgrading it to Pete's might increase performance with vsync and scanlines enabled.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Simply, you don't have the horsepower to run everything at once. Get a better system, or else choose the best settings you can until it starts to slow down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've decided to just run it off of my video card. 2D games aren't as sharp, but it can support the features. That should suffice until I can get something better.

Off the top of your head, could anyone give some estimated system specs I would need if I wanted to use system memory?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
That laptop would qualify then :p. I haven't heard of very many people using the system memory option, especially with a laptop, so I don't know exactly what kind of a system you would need to run it well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts