Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came to the realization today that if I try to overclock the FSB to anything over 445 Mhz that my PC refuses to work.

I blame this cheap crappy Asrock motherboard I chose because I wanted to save money. According to reviews for this motherboard, others have had the same problems with overclocking the FSB above 445 Mhz.

So I'm in search of a decent inexpensive motherboard that has great overclocking potential, here is the features I need the motherboard to have:

It must support Sata drives and have the connections for Sata drives on the motherboard.

No onboard video, I have a 9800 GT..

Onboard HD audio, since I don't have a sound card.

Plenty of bios options and overclocking features.

Must support Core2Duo E8xxx series (LGA-775) and Core2Quads..

Have either 1 or 2 PCI-E x16 2.0 slots

1 - 2 PCI-E x8 or x1 slots

2 - 3 PCI slots

Stable North/South Bridge

Supports up to 8 GB DDR2 (PC2-6400) (DDR2-800) ram

I am obviously looking for something as inexpensive as possible since I won't have much money to work with, but don't want to sacrifice quality/reliability..

I am also looking for a decent heatsink/fan that can handle overclocking, while keeping temperatures fairly low on air cooling, yet is small enough to fit inside my case which has a case fan on the side. I also need to know of a decent thermal paste/compound that can keep temperatures as low as possible, dissipating as much heat as it can..

I am also looking for an inexpensive LCD monitor that can handle high resolutions and gaming with little to no ghosting..

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS - $144.99

Pretty tough to beat price-wise. I built a new system for a customer a few months ago. The only difference was that his had an X48 northbridge as opposed to the P45 used on this board. The overclocking options in the BIOS are nothing short of amazing. It has more options than the ASUS Rampage series. (especially in the memory timings section) This board has 2 PCI slots as opposed to the 3 you requested. You don't really need 3, do you? oO

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
ASUS P5Q SE/R $100 ($80 after rebate)

A quick newegg search.

That would do about 500MHz on a dual-core easily. Plenty of PCI slots, too.

For quads, though... nothing has beaten this baby:

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

Also $100.

How many times have I said "mATX powah!" over the year now? :p If you want to get 4GHz (or 500MHz FSB, whichever comes first) out of a 45nm quad-core, nothing is more appropriate than that little guy. ASUS made a miracle. They haven't even beaten their own creation. This board is among the top quad clockers of the Core 2 era, if not for the P35K being volt-modded to beat its record.

Even DFI Lanparty P45 JR couldn't beat P5E-VM HDMI.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
X2DM, just cave and get a bigger case, something like the CoolerMaster CM690, the best coolers unfortunately are big.

You can try the Thermaltake Big Typoon though if you can find it.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS - $144.99

Pretty tough to beat price-wise. I built a new system for a customer a few months ago. The only difference was that his had an X48 northbridge as opposed to the P45 used on this board. The overclocking options in the BIOS are nothing short of amazing. It has more options than the ASUS Rampage series. (especially in the memory timings section) This board has 2 PCI slots as opposed to the 3 you requested. You don't really need 3, do you? oO
i'm not trying to dispute here, but how can it be better than the Rampage which is 350-400 $$$ when the Lan Party is only 144.99?????

I'm not regretting the Rampage here, but a board that costs a THIRD the cost???? C'mon.......

I must've missed something here.......

Thanks for the tip, may have to consider the Lan Party for my SECOND build..

Thanks.....

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

A quick newegg search.

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

Also $100.

How many times have I said "mATX powah!" over the year now? :p If you want to get 4GHz (or 500MHz FSB, whichever comes first) out of a 45nm quad-core, nothing is more appropriate than that little guy. ASUS made a miracle. They haven't even beaten their own creation. This board is among the top quad clockers of the Core 2 era, if not for the P35K being volt-modded to beat its record.

Even
DFI Lanparty P45 JR couldn't beat P5E-VM HDMI.
I need more suggestions, I just realized that the second board you mentioned has onboard video when I requested for no onboard video...

I need a decent overclocking board for a decent price, with everything I mentioned in my first post. I need a board with at least 2 PCI slots, a PCI-e x8 or PCI-e x1, and a PCI-e x16..

Can anyone reccomend a decent heatsink/fan made for overclocking that can keep temperatures quite cool?

Thanks. :)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I guess he does not want to pay a premium for the onboard graphics which he does not need.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
SCHUMI-4-EVA, the third board you listed takes DDR3 RAM.

Also, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro is a decent cooler, and it's not very big.

·
Banned
200 Posts
How high of resolutions do you want for the LCD, I picked up one for $120 18.5 inch TFT Display 10000:1 ACM Contrast ratio, If you don't mind an extremely bright Monitor you can pick up an ACER X183H for under $100 online now, Max Resolution is 1366x768 though Widescreen with a 5ms response time

Acer X183H

I'm loving my 1080p Samsung SyncMaster 42 Inch, takes up my whole wall for my gaming PC though it'll cost you like $1200-$1500

The 22-24 Inch range is around $250 with nice stats and excellent picture quality, one of the top monitor brands out :)

Samsung SyncMaster

Those are my choices for the $100 and $200 range, Hope this brings insight

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts

A quick newegg search.

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

Also $100.

Even DFI Lanparty P45 JR couldn't beat P5E-VM HDMI.
Im doing a P5E build right now lol.

And I have a T220 (Syncmaster) myself

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
i'm not trying to dispute here, but how can it be better than the Rampage which is 350-400 $$$ when the Lan Party is only 144.99?????

I'm not regretting the Rampage here, but a board that costs a THIRD the cost???? C'mon.......

I must've missed something here.......

Thanks for the tip, may have to consider the Lan Party for my SECOND build..

Thanks.....
Usually those top model ones have some relatively useless features that come at a great premium. Yes, they're good, but unless those extras are something you honestly need, it's just a waste of money. It's just like buying top end videocards or well, or Intel's top Extreme quadcore processors.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
SCHUMI-4-EVA, the third board you listed takes DDR3 RAM.

Also, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro is a decent cooler, and it's not very big.
Oops, thanks for catching that oversight Zedeck.

I also recommended that cooler to you before remember X2DM?

A really popular monitor at the moment is the Samsung 2333SW by the way.

Also for when you're looking at monitors pretty much anything with 8MS or lower response time should have no ghosting, it's only once you go over 8MS that ghosting starts to occur and for instance on my parent's 15inch LCD with a 25MS response time even Windows appears to be experiencing ghosting.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
I just came to the realization today that if I try to overclock the FSB to anything over 445 Mhz that my PC refuses to work.

I blame this cheap crappy Asrock motherboard I chose because I wanted to save money. According to reviews for this motherboard, others have had the same problems with overclocking the FSB above 445 Mhz.

So I'm in search of a decent inexpensive motherboard that has great overclocking potential, here is the features I need the motherboard to have:

It must support Sata drives and have the connections for Sata drives on the motherboard.

No onboard video, I have a 9800 GT..

Onboard HD audio, since I don't have a sound card.

Plenty of bios options and overclocking features.

Must support Core2Duo E8xxx series (LGA-775) and Core2Quads..

Have either 1 or 2 PCI-E x16 2.0 slots

1 - 2 PCI-E x8 or x1 slots

2 - 3 PCI slots

Stable North/South Bridge

Supports up to 8 GB DDR2 (PC2-6400) (DDR2-800) ram

I am obviously looking for something as inexpensive as possible since I won't have much money to work with, but don't want to sacrifice quality/reliability..

I am also looking for a decent heatsink/fan that can handle overclocking, while keeping temperatures fairly low on air cooling, yet is small enough to fit inside my case which has a case fan on the side. I also need to know of a decent thermal paste/compound that can keep temperatures as low as possible, dissipating as much heat as it can..

I am also looking for an inexpensive LCD monitor that can handle high resolutions and gaming with little to no ghosting..
An abit ip35 standard would be one of the cheapest to fulfill your requirements.
It'll clock up like a champion (4gb memory stable at 1200 on mine)

They're discontinued which works to your advantage, any retailers with them in stock will be selling them cheaper to clear out

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
oh come on Schumi, the entire MS stuff is a hoax, it's all advertised stuff anyway. The best is to look up some reviews first to see how it ghosts and what the other problems are, such as backlight bleed or colour bending. Samsungs are good, but overly popular and inconsistent in quality. Some models use 4 different types of panels, so how do you know which one you have before you make your purchase? That alone makes me rather cautious about buying a monitor without doing at least some research.

Ninja edit: I wish Behardware would do more reviews, just look at this here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-2/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

All Samsungs pretty much having an inputlag of 2 to 3 frames, that's something you don't want really. If you click on next, you'll see some good examples of how to test ghosting. Rather than looking at the specifications, this is what it comes down to :) (I'm on an Iiyama by the way, it may be one of the more sober brands, but they provide a great value with excellent responsive screens. I never noticed ghosting in any form. Besides, we've got games being motion blurred to death, it's kinda hard to notice the difference :p )

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It is? well sorry then, chalk that one up to inexperience...that's how my friends explained it to me in 2002 and it made logical sense to be so I had no reason to doubt or do other research.

So you're saying that depending on the quality a 2MS monitor may ghost more than a 8MS monitor of the build quality is bad?

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
I'm loving my 1080p Samsung SyncMaster 42 Inch, takes up my whole wall for my gaming PC though it'll cost you like $1200-$1500
I'm getting one of those to use as a COMPUTER MONITOR and a TV second.... Mine's only gonna be 700.00 Canadian and it's by Vision Quest - 42" LCD Widescreen 1300 X 700 Something HDTV with a VGA?MAC input ....Unfortuneately it's only 1080i, but still very good...... A damn sight better than the Trinitron and a lot bigger...

I like big icons.....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Some of the premium motherboards with, say, the X38 or X48, weren't necessarily "uselessly overpriced". I think the opposite was true, that the P35, heck, even the G31, were too good.

Still, even if there's this board that clocks higher with that CPU, I'm happy with my motherboard. It's the foundation of the build, so it's the last thing I wanted under par, so I purposely went overkill. Turns out my RAM holds me back, and that the X48 (a higher binned X38) adds the extra it needed to be better than other mainstream boards (especially for quad cores, where the X38 was so-so at), but I'm very happy with it. If I could do it again, I'd choose the same board.

The only thing is, the Rampage Formula needs to come down in price. It's just the "Maximus Formula Plus" so to speak, and I got mine for slightly less over a year ago than the Rampage Formula goes for now, while the Maximus Formula is discontinued, so if I could do it again in this timeframe, then maybe I wouldn't afterall. The P5E, which is the "Maximus Formula Minus" so to speak (i.e., a mainstream X38) costs a bit less than $200, while the Rampage Formula is ~$100 more. Considering that you can flash the BIOS to have the same maturity, and it's way too overpriced right now, especially when other boards have grown around it. I wouldn't liken them to Intel Extreme CPUs in the bang to the buck ratio. It's not that bad. It's more like going with a E8600 over an E8400.

Still, it's a great board. Look at Xtreme Systems forums. The original Maximus Formula thread is immensely popular, way more than most others, at around 8,240 replies and 676,000+ page views. Not even the E8400/E8500 thread has as much. Most others are lucky to reach half, if a quarter even, of that (though the P5W has only a hair less replies, and over 1,100,000 views). There's also another Maximus Formula thread with over 5,800 replies and almost 400,000 views, so that's alot combined. I know it's just one website, but it does go to show the popularity of this board among enthusiasts.

Oh, and it's funny how the old 965 chipset reaches higher FSB speeds than the P35, P45, and X38/X48 alot of the times, engh?

Edit: Speaking of high FSB speed, this board has a reputation for going very high. Don't let the brand fool you (not that Biostar is half bad these days anyway, for those who think it's all ASUS and Gigabyte).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118

It'd definitely at least be a consideration for me for another build after what I've heard of it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts