Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xbox Debug System Console Kit rare 360 Green halo reach | eBay

My instincts told me to do a search on eBay for a Debug Xbox today, and I found one! Not sure if anyone on the Dxbx team might want it, but it's helped me a great deal personally with Cxbx and I'm glad I got one.

So shadow, Patrick, would this be of interest to either of you? Just looking out for my fellow Xbox emu authors :)

Shogun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That looks really good.

My question is: how would they be able to test games (either the retail or burnt back-up copy discs) if this console doesn't support the playing of them?

Quote from the description field:
"Any one bidding on this item should keep in mind that it will NOT play retail games. Period. And it will also not play copies of retail games. Games burned for this system must be built from raw data and built using Microsoft's proprietary burn software . The codes used during testing are stripped in the retail discs so if you copy it, it won't play."

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, that's not the point (play commercial games on it). For what logical reason would anyone want to get a Debug Xbox just to play/test games is beyond me.

A Debug Xbox has specialized hardware that is not found in Retail Xboxes (i.e. more Ram, a different BIOS and boot rom, different MCPX, etc), is fully compatible with XDK debugging tools right off the bat, contains a special BIOS for debugging code, and is fundamentally different. It's a wonderful tool to have when you're a programmer.

Second, the point is to be able to have an Xbox to write Xbox apps for and be able to debug it properly (which can't be done on a regular modded Xbox) so that you can verify the support you add for new features is the proper solution for Cxbx/Dxbx. If it weren't for that Debug Xbox you see, the amount of Cxbx progress you see me making would be less. It's hard to confirm that a certain feature is emulated properly if you can't verify how it's properly done (i.e. I had to write numerous push buffer code examples for various test cases before I fixed some of the main issues with Panzer as well as DirectSound stuff).

Is that a better explanation for you?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I'm trying for it. Do I need one for anything? No - not really. But hell, I've always wanted one for some reason. Current max bid set to $90. Although I could afford more, I'm not so sure I'd want to pay more for it. Hopefully it flies under the radar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First of all, that's not the point (play commercial games on it). For what logical reason would anyone want to get a Debug Xbox just to play/test games is beyond me.

A Debug Xbox has specialized hardware that is not found in Retail Xboxes (i.e. more Ram, a different BIOS and boot rom, different MCPX, etc), is fully compatible with XDK debugging tools right off the bat, contains a special BIOS for debugging code, and is fundamentally different. It's a wonderful tool to have when you're a programmer.

Second, the point is to be able to have an Xbox to write Xbox apps for and be able to debug it properly (which can't be done on a regular modded Xbox) so that you can verify the support you add for new features is the proper solution for Cxbx/Dxbx. If it weren't for that Debug Xbox you see, the amount of Cxbx progress you see me making would be less. It's hard to confirm that a certain feature is emulated properly if you can't verify how it's properly done (i.e. I had to write numerous push buffer code examples for various test cases before I fixed some of the main issues with Panzer as well as DirectSound stuff).

Is that a better explanation for you?
Your lack of knowledge and continous spreading of false information is astonishing me every single time I read your posts.

I gained TONS of information by debugging commercial games and it's the most valuable source for informations there is while writing an xbox emulator, imho.

I do this stuff on a modded retail xbox, but it would even work with a softmod. There is no real benefit for most scenarios when using a debug box.

It's just a nice piece for every collection at the moment or if you want to debug more complex games without wanting to find free sections of memory manually (I'd love to have a debug box actually though [to start a collection], but they are usually way too expensive imho).

For further information you should have a look at the docs which came with your debug box. They list the differences and it's eay to figure out that the only important aspect is more memory.

Tell me a single thing a debug box does which a retail one doesn't, except for being able to run games which need more than 64MB RAM while being debugged. [Let alone the fact that an unmodded debug box won't run retail games - and I wouldn't mod a debug box because it will be worth significantly less after modding it].

Here is a short run-down of what I do with my retail box:

• FUSE driver to browse it [networking and xbdm functions = Debug Bios/OS works]
  • Packet Encryption/Decryption bypass [Full networking support = Network debugging]
  • GDB Server to debug executables (retail and debug) [works absolutly fine = CPU debugging]
  • Kernel hooks [Kernel-function-jump-table (for a lack of a better word) is not in ROM and can be changed on the fly = Kernel debugging]
  • Custom Push-Buffer and GPU emulation / stepper to debug the GPU using breakpoints on the GPU memory regions [and so far not a single register was disabled.. = GPU debugging]
  • PDB Symbol scanning on the box [Debug functions are present]
  • Custom USB Adapter for debug mouse and keyboard (still WIP - but you don't see the debug input devices around very often anyway) [USB ports work]
  • More, but mostly using the features I already confirmed to be working
Seriously, get your facts straight. While I respect your effort trying to help with xbox emulation and informing people about it, most of the stuff you do and say is just confusing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@blueshogun96: Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated! But right now I don't see much use for a debug kit however; I get enough information already by just reading through all the stuff we already have (like help files, samples, pbkit, Nouveau, mesa/gallium3d, disassembled stuff, etc). How's your OpenGL-based push-buffer replayer coming along btw?

@JayFoxRox: Don't take this the wrong way, but please - there's no need to be so strongly outspoken! We're much too small a group of people for discouraging talk. Let's respect one another and help each other along wherever possible, I know I'm trying! (+1 for using using the words 'imho' and 'respect' in your post though ;) ) Oh, and do correct me if I interpreted this all wrong!
Anyway, your achievements up until here are quite impressive - if you ever feel like it, I'd love to read a little more on how you did these things. (What tools you used, etc.)

Cheers!

·
Registered
907 Posts
it woud be nice for the collection, however. no shipping outside US.
for debugging and testing, i use a normal xbox.

But thx annyway :) if it was few years earlier then i would love to get me hands on one of them.. but now found other solution.

There are still some things im looking for however.
ps2 TOOL console.
psp dev kit console
and ps3 dev kit.

if you find one of these ;)

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Your lack of knowledge and continous spreading of false information is astonishing me every single time I read your posts.

I gained TONS of information by debugging commercial games and it's the most valuable source for informations there is while writing an xbox emulator, imho.

I do this stuff on a modded retail xbox, but it would even work with a softmod. There is no real benefit for most scenarios when using a debug box.
Well, if I'm so wrong, then why wait until now to "correct" me, eh? And I still disagree about debugging commercial games being the most valuable resource. With homebrew code, you can test specific scenarios that you code yourself. Plus, you can tweak that code anyway you like, unlike a commercial game. Think about it, was a commercial game the first thing Cxbx ever ran?

Tell me a single thing a debug box does which a retail one doesn't, except for being able to run games which need more than 64MB RAM while being debugged. [Let alone the fact that an unmodded debug box won't run retail games - and I wouldn't mod a debug box because it will be worth significantly less after modding it].
Wrong. A debug Xbox CAN run retail games without modification. You don't even have to flash the BIOS either. In fact, all you have to do is stick the hacked BIOS in your B:\ drive. I used this hack recently and it runs everything I throw at it except a select few pbkit samples. From what I can tell, it's basically a hacked up retail BIOS. So far, I haven't gotten any of the XDKs debugging tools to work on any of these, but maybe it's just me.

Seriously, get your facts straight. While I respect your effort trying to help with xbox emulation and informing people about it, most of the stuff you do and say is just confusing.
While I respect your attempt to correct me, I seriously suggest you learn a thing or two about etiquette, tone it down a bit, and think before you post next time. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and if anyone proves me wrong, I'm not ashamed of it. Btw, I don't try to help Xbox emulation... I actually do it, and I have been for years. I know I have much room for improvement either way.

@Patrick: Did you still want a copy of my d3d8_xbox wrapper? Last time I worked on it, it wasn't compiling because I was trying to add in all the interfaces, and didn't finish fixing up the code for a clean build. It does run basic stuff except for lighting, texture matrix manipulation and vs/ps operations. Plus, I'm still adding in the various texture formats.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4V699LNW

·
Registered
34 Posts
blueshogun96 thanks for the heads up on this auction. Looks like I'll probably end up buying it.

Hit me up on MSN soon bro.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blueshogun96 thanks for the heads up on this auction. Looks like I'll probably end up buying it.

Hit me up on MSN soon bro.
About that:

Good news: I got a new wireless antenna so I can get online more often, plus I finally got a job. I'm in video game QA again.

Bad news: The commute is 4 hours total via bus so I'm gone 12 hours a day. The distance isn't too great, but it takes 3 busses to get where I need to go. It's also minimum wage. Tough [email protected]#%, but it's better than being unemployed.

Yes, that's a perfectly good explanation, blueshogun96.

Lol, I enjoyed seeing the arguments between you and another pal, but hopefully it all ends well for you both.
Meh, we'll be fine. But when correcting someone, it best to a proper tone before doing so. That's the point I was trying to make.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bad news: The commute is 4 hours total via bus so I'm gone 12 hours a day. The distance isn't too great, but it takes 3 busses to get where I need to go. It's also minimum wage. Tough [email protected]#%, but it's better than being unemployed.
I read somewhere probably last year that it'd take 2 years until the American economy improves to such an extent where the private businesses would start hiring a lot more people from the unemployed market. So it's gonna be a bit of a painful wait for you... (at least if you're actually interested in getting a vastly different job from the one which you're doing now!)

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I honestly don't think that it will improve that fast, and I don't buy into politics so easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know Alpine Access is hiring for Xbox support right now.
I actually just got in myself last month.
Tier one only gets 9.50 an hour but every week when they blast people for extra hours its 15.00 an hour or 22 ish if its OT.

It's work from home job outsourced my microsoft. Pure coincidence that I'm posting this in the xbox emu forum lol.

It is actually the ONLY work from home job thats real I have found after like freaking...... idk YEARS of looking only to get scammed lol.

They send you a secure flash drive that loads up windows xp in kiosk mode for your paid training and when you work in production. And a bank account with atm card (master card, so online purchase cheers) if you don't have one already.

It's a pretty sweet deal, especially for no commute and working at home.
Feel free to search alpine access in google and read about them in forums, I can guarantee no one will say its a scam. (Finally)

Their interview process is REALLY grueling though. Took me 2 hours to take their tests. Then the phone interview but that was easy. Just need to know about technical stuff then roleplay a phone call with him where he wants to know the release date of CoD black ops......

Also they have some super bonus program. I glanced it and asked my trainer if it was for everyone, she said yes.
Basically for every hour your work, you get a 2.10$ bonus after 3 months. (every 3 months)
So TECHNICALLY .... you get 9.50+2.10 per hour, not counting blast or OT hours. No gas, no car, just a computer and a 360..

P.s. A 360 is required to get hired, they used to send the consoles to people but they stopped that about 2 months ago. They included a kinect too *kicks dirt* lucky ones.

Anyway if you try them out good luck, the only job Ive had in like 10 years that I actually don't WANT to get off work lol.

Remember this though.
If you plan on getting a good promotion for 18$ /hr standard, you MUST have a 90%+ on all tests in training (not hiring tests).
Now I know TONS about all systems, console hardware software. And the first test I'm telling you its going to mess you up, 90% of my class failed it (below80%).
Every test after that has been cake, 100% for people like us across the board easily. (I lol'd at how so many other people in class were failing the hardware/tech tests still)

Reason being the first test is all Customer Service questions, and they are outdated with wrong answers on PURPOSE.
The trainer is going to tell you, during the test, come back in adobe connect meeting, and ask questions if you are not sure about a question on the test. Make 100% sure you do this. It is the only way to answer them correctly.
It's a test of paying attention to detail so. (This is the first offical test after 7 days of training, not the assessments you take once a day).

Just remember, 90% plus if you want an almost instant promotion out of training + one excellent phone eval. They're hiring like crazy right now. In upper departments because we just obtained tier 2 support from MS as they don't do it anymore. And from what I hear we'll be getting Tier 3 support soon too, which is about 19 an hour.

It's not 60k a year to start but...
Its 40 hours.
Its decent pay for start and no commute. Lots of bonus's and benefits.
Sure as heck beats the pants off a minimum wage job thats 4 hours away.

I don't post a lot on here but I come visit once a month at least. The small crew of emulator guys gota stick together, just trying to help :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts