Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
What? oO
Republicans are fiscal conservatives, don't you know? This whole thing about debt is a lie of the evil liberal media.

Seriously, I've been talking about Bush's unsound economic policies for over a year (me and most economists in the world, american or otherwise). Those ridiculous tax cuts and a bloated military budget (not to mention a useless war which led the US into a lose-lose situation and greatly increased spending) are a recipe for financial disaster.

And fortunately you're an american, because if a non-american posted this I would expect a few members wanting to play devil's advocate popping up just to criticize the thread.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
eh? Increased tax spending is more of a liberal thing...although we wonder with the cost of financing the war. Hmm...Considering that the news source posted is a biased liberal source (MSNBC...hehe), we would have to research other news sources to see if some truth can be extracted....there is always 2 sides to every story...Until we get the other side we won't argue on the subject, but we are not persuaded to believe either.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the 3rd raise of the national debt limit since bush has been in office in the past 3 years. $450 billion in 2002, $984 billion in 2003, and now $800 billion more and there is no end in site or a fix in the works. The Republican party vows to be more responsible, but will not be restricted or use ways to improve the situation. I don't really care about what happened in the past with the tax cuts and the war because there is not much we can do it about it now .. but what about the future. If this continues in the same direction the value of the dollar is going to be worthless and our economy is going to be worse off for the next four years then it was for the past four years.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
NightWing said:
I don't really care about what happened in the past with the tax cuts and the war because there is not much we can do it about it now ..
The sensible course of action would be: take back the tax cuts, take the troops out of Iraq. This can be done now, to at least mitigate the problem (not that it'll go away: the deficit is way to high now, and will take a few years to heal, even with a growing economy).
The problem with the Bush administration is that they find it impossible to admit they were wrong and take a different course of action.

PS: I don't want a discussion about whether the US should take the troops out. I'm sick of war threads.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
That's republican's strategy... spend as much as possible now, so 4 years later the new president (maybe democrat) will look bad when all the debt come back to haunt him (probably :p). Bush is spending outside his budget window to make his term look financially prosperous, but the after effects will be someone else's problem.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This problem has nothing to do with the election and is something caused by the previous four years. Now how it is handled within the next four years is up in the air .. if it becomes worse, then yes maybe the American people made the wrong choice, but it is hard to tell if Kerry would be able to fix the problems that were caused by the previous four years. I would just like to see some restrictions set in place and some fiscal responsibility shown by the Republican controlled government .. unlike the last four years where they removed all restrictions on spending and blew the budget surplus. Who knows, maybe the Republican Agenda they want to push could make things worse if they want to enable more tax breaks and over spending on the war on terror ...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
eh? Increased tax spending is more of a liberal thing...although we wonder with the cost of financing the war. Hmm...Considering that the news source posted is a biased liberal source (MSNBC...hehe), we would have to research other news sources to see if some truth can be extracted....there is always 2 sides to every story...Until we get the other side we won't argue on the subject, but we are not persuaded to believe either.
Seriously man... if you believe MSNBC to be a "biased" source or at least as "biased" as Fox News, I can't really say anything to convince you otherwise. If it was posted on Al-Jazerra, CBC, CBS, or democraticunderground.com or organizations with pretty strong editorial stances, your point would have justification. However, the first link is derived from the Washington Post (yup, that bastion of "liberal" news media with such conservative luminaries as Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Robert Kagan, among others, writing for the newspaper, and which by the way, supported the war in its onset). MSNBC ain't even close to the partisanship of moveon.org or newsmax.com.

I have been a fairly avid reader of MSNBC.com for a long time and have watched the MSNBC channel for a long time since Chris Matthews' rise during the Clinton impeachment. So I'm in a position to say that I really don't see an overwhelming liberal bias in their news coverage unless you can show otherwise...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The FNC is posting about the debt hike; if Fox reports it and it's something that can be seen as not supporting Bush, you know it it has to be true. Besides, since the debt has been spiraling out of control since Bush came into office, the news that this is going on yet again shouldn't come as much surprise, especially now that Bush has his mandate. I just hope that the creditors don't come calling some day or we're going to have to put a for sale sign up on the country. :p

(But Fox pointed it out in roughly five seconds and spent the rest of the day talking about how awesome our economy is going to be after Iraq has their election.)

If the rumors of the budget deficit increase weren't true, why would Greenspan comment on what this or others may do?

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
netghost2.0 said:
Seriously man... if you believe MSNBC to be a "biased" source or at least as "biased" as Fox News, I can't really say anything to convince you otherwise. If it was posted on Al-Jazerra, CBC, CBS, or democraticunderground.com or organizations with pretty strong editorial stances, your point would have justification. However, the first link is derived from the Washington Post (yup, that bastion of "liberal" news media with such conservative luminaries as Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Robert Kagan, among others, writing for the newspaper, and which by the way, supported the war in its onset). MSNBC ain't even close to the partisanship of moveon.org or newsmax.com.

I have been a fairly avid reader of MSNBC.com for a long time and have watched the MSNBC channel for a long time since Chris Matthews' rise during the Clinton impeachment. So I'm in a position to say that I really don't see an overwhelming liberal bias in their news coverage unless you can show otherwise...
We are serious man...MSNBC, although not as bad as other media outlets, still panders to a liberal agenda (We do not argue that FOX sways conserv as well)..What we are saying is that we have to bounce information off a couple of sources in order to determine if it is a partial truth or not. We are sure you do the same...only a fool wouldn't

We usually check Left then Right..then go to partials like BBC and MSNBC...then source the net...It takes some work, but we usually get some truth then

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
I know this is getting a bit off-topic but I can't understand why all these news sources are being posted as "liberal" when all they do is report facts; they aren't giving opinons (aside from news talk shows). Everytime I watch Fox News, they ALWAYS give an opinion after reporting a fact. I can't see why they can't just report the facts like every other news station and just leave the opinions to thier news talk shows like Bill O'Reilly.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
DarkAurora said:
I know this is getting a bit off-topic but I can't understand why all these news sources are being posted as "liberal" when all they do is report facts; they aren't giving opinons (aside from news talk shows). Everytime I watch Fox News, they ALWAYS give an opinion after reporting a fact. I can't see why they can't just report the facts like every other news station and just leave the opinions to thier news talk shows like Bill O'Reilly.
My thread is so timely as always. :p EVERY national news source that I've seen has some sort of subjective slant to go along with their purportedly objective goals. The so-called liberal news programs are called liberal precisely because they DO tend to insert liberal opinions whenever and however possible, and much of it goes right down to the topics that are discussed. For example, look at CNN's huge overanalysis and emphasis of environmental issues. Come on people, this is supposed to be nationally important news, not Captain Planet News. :p

If you want my favorite example of liberal national news sources that have way too much subjective opinionating as opposed to reporting, look no further than CBS and especially Dan Rather. He laces in so many personal agendas that it's hard to differentiate the news from the propaganda.

This is also why I can understand why DW was hesitant to accept the story at first. A recent survey suggested that a grand total of six percent of responders find MSNBC a trustworthy source of news.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts