Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year ago when looking to upgrade my AM2 cpu and get more ram, a friend told me the am2s perform better off 2 dimms than 4. Something to do with the internal mem controller. Is that true and if so, does it apply to the Deneb 940s? Trying to decide between a pair of 2GB or 4 1GB sticks. May go 8GB total but either way it'll be DDR2 1066. Any suggestions/ preferences? I'd think that would've been fixed if it was ever true and that 4 dimms would out perform 2 given more points of access.

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Not 100% sure but I think it makes no difference, I would personally go for 2x2GB sticks!

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I heard something similar myself. I know that with more memory (i.e., 4GB vs 2GB), the Northbridge has to work harder as it has more space to address and keep up with (i.e., it's easier for a Northbridge to keep track of 2GB worth of addresses at 1066MHz than it is for to keep track of 4GB of addresses at 1066MHz, so it may need more voltage to keep up). This also applies to 4 modules over 2 modules. Since the memory controller is on the CPU on the Athlon 64 and later, and the Northbridge isn't part of the equation, for those CPUs, it does make sense.

If you're going from scratch with no RAM already, there's no reason to opt for 4x1GB over 2x2GB. How much you with (4GB vs 8GB) is up to you, but get it in as little modules as possible. If that has to be four since you go with 8GB though, then so be it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
At the time there was a flaw in the DDR2 controller on the first AM2 revisions, this has long since been fixed.

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Apparently a bot posted an advertisement in another language, and it was deleted before you got to see it.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Blame HCR for the confusion :evil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts