Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I heard that DDR ram doubles the transfer rate. I'm currently using SDRAM with a SDR Geforce2mx 32mb. The newer video cards like the Geforce pro and Radeon all use DDR. However my mainboard does not support DDR ram. It will work but will it affect performance?? Does it means that what kind of mainboard you have depends on how much performance you can get out of a video card??

I currently have a Asus K7V Slot A VIA KX133 model. It's about a year and a half old and can only use K7V cpus. (currently using 850mhz, overclocked to 880mhz) When I changed my Voodoo3 2000 to Geforce2mx 32mb I notice not much difference but the Benchmark reports seem to show great difference. FF9 for example those with DDR support seems to be better off than those without DDR support.

Your reply would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Your MOBO doesn't need to support DDR-Ram to use a Gfx card running on DDR,I have one myself and it works very well.
But of course,if your Mother Board supports DDR-Ram it will surely give you better performances than a SDR based one.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Like Raziel said, it doesn't matter if the cards themselves have DDR ram. Of course, having DDR ram is better for speed than the alternatives (at least for now), but it still depends somewhat on the hardware.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Your MX SDR card is faster than the MX DDR cards... SDR ram is 128bit and the DDR boards are 64bit..

But thats only for the GF2MX cards, most other DDR cards use 128bit DDR memory...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts