Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due a system upgrade soon, and am debating what type of RAM to go for. I was going to get DDR RAM, but I am wondering if the speed benefits it has over PC133 are really worth the extra price?

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Extra price?
Its about the same price isnt it?
eg=
256Mb DDR (2100) PC266
Online Price £27.67 £32.51 Including VAT at 17.5%
256Mb Dane-Elec CUBE SDRAM PC133
Online Price £25.80 £30.32 Including VAT at 17.5%

If I was building a new system I'd deffo go for it....

·
Registered
900 Posts
if its an amd system then get ddr ram. if its a p3 get sdram. if its a p4 get rdram. pretty simple. ram is cheap so buy a lot.

i have a gig of sdram running cas 2-2-2 on my system. its pretty sweet.

for ddr and sdram check out
www.crucial.com

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
I have 512MB PC2100 DDR with an Athlon 1.4Ghz, and the rig runs sweeet! although realistically speaking, the differences between using DDR and SDR isnt THAT perceptible.. :)

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Get DDR. The price difference is very small and you can get some speed improvements with DDR, mainly with programs that depend on high transfer rates(DDR 2,1GB/s against SDR 1GB/s, although you will never experince a double speed improvement).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are motherboardsthat support ddr ram, backwards compatible with old PC100 and PC133 ram?

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven
Actually there is no advantage of using DDR with the P3..
If there was a DDR memory solution for the P3 it won't be synchronous to the FSB speed. Therefore, I think it would have just as much of an advantage as the Athlon.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i will be combining it with an Athlon (1.4 ghz + maybe), or a 1 GHZ duron, depending on how tight cash is @ the time :) Is there any imprvements with DDR ram and athlon (xps)?

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
NO.. The same type of DDr Ram is used in Athlon xp platforms.. I would like to get a hold of DDR 333 mhz ram though and combine it with an athlon xp and a mobo with support for 333 mhz ram.. There are a few mobos coming out with 333mhz DDR ram support and ATA 133..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is the price difference in normal PC1200 and this "333Mhz" DDR RAM?

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Originally posted by Demigod79

If there was a DDR memory solution for the P3 it won't be synchronous to the FSB speed. Therefore, I think it would have just as much of an advantage as the Athlon.
actually there were DDR solutions for the p3 using the via apollo pro 266. And benchmarks showed that there is 0% or at most less that 1% increase in performance, illustrating that the p3 cannot take advantage of the higher memory bandwidth offered by DDR. or maybe via's chipset is crap.. in any case.. there is no advantage of using the DDR .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts