Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing which I really despise is that I need to spend so MANY DVD ROMS to burn my important data.Just yesterday I finally finished collecting all the programs I need.All the programs are in one single folder.The folder size is 4.83 GB.Now...I tried to compress that folder with Windows XP zipped folder option,with WinRar and with 7-zip.I tried all possible ways of compressing with WinRar and with 7-zip and the folder was compressed so little.From 4.83 GB to 4.60 GB.That sucks especially when the size of 4.60 GB "CANNOT" be burned on the DVD ROM with capacity of 4.7 GB :mad:GRRRRR!!!!!!
I read that people can compress files from 1 GB to 300 MB using WinRar and 7-zip..............how the hell is that possible???oOoOoO

So I am asking you now...does ANYONE here knows how to do something like that?

Thanks in advance!
Best regards!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
It depends on what you're compressing.

If you're compressing something that's already compressed (other .zip files, setup executables, videos) you can't compress them much more to achieve better compression.

Settings-wise, besides using "Best" compression, you can try turning on the "solid archive" setting in Winrar and 7zip.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ROFLMAO last night before I went to sleep,I put those 4.83 GB folder to compress it with 7-zip and I put all the 7-zip "Add to archive" options to the best values so that the folder can be compressed the best as it can.And this morning when I woke up,it passed more then 8 hours of compressing and it was still 1% HAHAHA:lol::lol::lol:And time remaining was more then 600 hours ROFL!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
Anyway...I canceled that,restarted the computer and again put the compression options all the same.The only difference I made is that I put the "Dictionary size" to 32 MB instead of 64 MB.And now the compressing process will take approximately 2 hours.And it's already 23% done:D
By the way,if I put the "Dictionary size" to 48 MB,I am getting the same result as with 64 MB...and that is SUPER SLOW 600 HOURS LONG COMPRESSION xD xD xD!!!

One of the things which I hate is the following......you put the folder to compress...you wait MANY hours and when it's finally done,the folder size is maybe few MB less or it's even BIGGER THEN IT'S ORIGINAL SIZE:dead:
Ouch...:dead:

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
ROFLMAO last night before I went to sleep,I put those 4.83 GB folder to compress it with 7-zip and I put all the 7-zip "Add to archive" options to the best values so that the folder can be compressed the best as it can.And this morning when I woke up,it passed more then 8 hours of compressing and it was still 1% HAHAHA:lol::lol::lol:And time remaining was more then 600 hours ROFL!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
Anyway...I canceled that,restarted the computer and again put the compression options all the same.The only difference I made is that I put the "Dictionary size" to 32 MB instead of 64 MB.And now the compressing process will take approximately 2 hours.And it's already 23% done:D
By the way,if I put the "Dictionary size" to 48 MB,I am getting the same result as with 64 MB...and that is SUPER SLOW 600 HOURS LONG COMPRESSION xD xD xD!!!

One of the things which I hate is the following......you put the folder to compress...you wait MANY hours and when it's finally done,the folder size is maybe few MB less or it's even BIGGER THEN IT'S ORIGINAL SIZE:dead:
Ouch...:dead:
:hdbash:

·
Registered
23 Posts
try using WinUha it is a small software which does allow good compression.
Some people where able to make 200 MB in that archive and when extracted it was 3 GB oO

only downside of that programm it is a littlebit slower then 7zip :dead:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compression of the 4.83 GB big folder just finished and now his size is 4.40 GB.Not really a big difference.Can 4.40 GB fit on one DVD-rom?

try using WinUha it is a small software which does allow good compression.
Some people where able to make 200 MB in that archive and when extracted it was 3 GB oO

only downside of that programm it is a littlebit slower then 7zip :dead:
A little bit slower..........how many days is that?:dead:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, a DVD is 4.37 GB (4488 MB)
NOOOOOOO!!! Argh so close and again so far!:mad:
Some people told me to put ALL that data on one or few HDD-s.All the data I have is larger then 500 GB,(that includes musics,programs,games,series,movies blablabla)...
If I put that on one HDD,everything will be much easier.BUT if that HDD stops working,(it wouldn't be the first time:(),I will lose EVERYTHING I EVER HAD lol.And CD-ROMs and the DVD-ROMs cannot stop working all of a sudden just like that.I mean they can,but much rarely.I also have a copy of each one so if one breaks,I can make a copy of a copy:D

Ok I can always copy HDD so I have for example 3 copies (3 HDD-s),but HDD has a bigger chance to stop working lol.It happened to me more then 5 times:mad:GRRR!!!
And then again I hate spending so many CD-ROMs and so many DVD-ROMs,but I always had less problems with the discs then with HDD-s.
OK CD-ROM drive can always stop working,(it happened to me 3 times on the current laptop:(),but you can always buy a new one and you won't lose anything lol.Not a single byte.My dad once had a HDD large about 300 GB on which he had VERY important files.And one day it stopped working.It couldn't be fixed anymore.This is exactly why I need to compress files as much as possible and burn them on the discs.

But again everything has it's own advantages and disadvantages...

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
I've gotten to a point to where I'm completely un-annoyed when it comes to data loss unless it's something I made. Music is easily replaced, as are movies and programs I normally use(most of them are free anyway). Normally, if I need it; I can find it again somewhere as long as there's another copy somewhere in the universe.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol keep in mind that some programs that are pretty old are so great and some of them are even better then the new ones.Like XP and Vista :D
We all know that one day good programs which are already old even today,but still are able to be downloaded from the internet,will stop being on the internet and we will not be able to download them from the internet anymore.This is one of the reasons why I am collecting many things...and why I need very good compression considering that I don't have many CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs. :D
Yeah it's annoying when you lose something you made,but I also hate when I lose something what I didn't make...it was still very useful for me.Who cares who made it:dead:

Imaginate that you have HDD full of C# test projects you made which will help you to make the final version.And one day HDD just stops working...your first words are mostly:"AAAAAAAAAAAA DAMMIT NOOOOOOOOOOO CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
.....lol....:D
Let's take me for example.I made 5 UAC test projects and one night I lost them because of the damn hard disk drive.....heh...so much about HDD lol.Btw...that is one of the reasons why I need so much time to make the UAC lol.It would already be done if the damn HDD didn't stop working.
BUT if I saved all the files on the discs and made a copy of them all,it's much bigger chance to NOT lose anything.
Data is data...there is not perfectly safe way to store it,but then again you can try to save it on many different places.I bought a special box for the CD and DVD discs which is designed to hold them on safe for the next MANY MANY years lol:dead: Ok ok maybe I am watching on these discs too much,but I lost 3 summers when I was burning them.It was so damn hot and the temperature was probably 36 degreese celsius.I thought:"OMG I wanna give up...it's too much...it's more then 500 discs lol.And it's SOOOO HOT AAAAAA!!!"
And today I am happy I did all that.If only that compression could compress data a little bit more.Damn 4.40 GB....so close to 4.37 GB:dead::dead::dead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.