Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the title explains it all. psxMC, the japanese program to rip and view psx movies and sounds is dangerous to your CD-Rom driver if it's 44x and higher.

Here's what happened to me:

1) I show the little program to my brother to show him what it can do, we watch some Tekken 3 movies on the rented version we have. So far, everything works fine. Sometimes the CD-rom seems to overrun, but a quick open and close fix it.

2) I decide to rip a movie from the game (Gon's ending to be exact). Everything during the rip works fine, it goes well and everything. Altough the conversion time seems a bit fast (4 minutes for highest quality avi conversion).

3) After the rip the CD-rom starts to overrun again, I lean down to open the drive as usual but before I even touch the eject button, the Tekken CD literally explodes in the cd rom driver. We open it up quickly and the CD is a total loss.

Hmm... So I guess that's kind of sad. That program promised so much but it blows up the CD in your CD-Rom Drive. Oh wow, I got lots of money to lose at this time of the year. By the way, my driver is Atapi 56x CD-Rom. However, I heard that 56x can't go over a 36x limit due to its power. Could be true seeing how the CD just exploded because of the CD-Rom speed. Man, if something like this happened to someone else, or if you have a 50x CD-Rom and plan to get a PSX ripper, just don't do it. The same thing will most likely happen to you.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
There's no reason why the program would do that. The operation of the CD-ROM and its spin-up times is handled directly by the drive hardware, not the program. My guess is that it has to do something with the drive or the CD itself(since it was a PSX CD, maybe the drive had a hard time with it). I've used PSXMC on my 40X drive for a long time now and it hasn't caused any problems, and I haven't experienced any of the overrun problems you stated. My CD-ROM drive can spin-up to horrendous speeds at times but it never harms the CD in any way. I suggest you get the CD-ROM drive checked, less it break other CDs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my actual guesses were:

1) The program tried to use the drive's full speed, causing it to overheat and overrun. And eventually breaking my CD.

2) My CD drive would be broken or malfunctionning.

The latter could be quite possible, since I bought it a 52$ CAD with a 2 years Guarantee. But it's brand new, so I don't see why it would malfunction right now.

The earlier however, could be the most likely answer. 56x Drivers can't go over 36x or they'll end up messing with CD's. It also happened to a friend of mine, he couldn't play rented CD's on his PC. Each time he put it inside the pins couldn't hold it in place and scratches going from 0.5 to 1 inch large and 3 to 5 inches long. Maybe the protective cover over the CD's are messing with the program and all that. But now I need to pay back the CD, and that's the sad thing in the story. 'Cause I'm the victim here. A poor gamer that got his PSX stolen a year ago, then found an emu, then downloaded a program to rip movies and songs and ended up with a stolen psx + a broken rented CD. I really hate it. I'm not lucky with PSX stuff... I'll just have to get a PS2 soon or I'll end up crazy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had heard some horror stories about some Taiwanese high speed CDROM cant run stable at high speed with some CDR and eventually break the CD into pieces. Perhap your CDROM is one of these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah maybe... I don't know if it's Taiwanese tho. But if it is hmm... I guess I should trade it for a Japanese or American 36x CD-Rom. But man, I still can't believe I lost a whole Tekken 3 CD for ripping Gon's ending movie (that thing is just so cute!). Well, I got the movie so it makes one good thing for a bad one... A real bad one.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Another reason I hate CD-ROM drives that are faster then they need to be. Like mine. Anywho, I don't believe CD-ROM drives go at the speed that they say they do. For an example when I tested my CD-ROM drives speed the max it came out at was 17x, which is more then I need but nice to have I suppose...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Time for a Physics lesson folks. In the good old days cd rom speeds were rated using the angular velocity. This remains constant no matter were the read head is located. However in a fit of marketing strategy this was changed to show the maximum linear velocity which changes depending on the position of the read head. By doing so companires can bluff there way that the drive are actually faster than they are in reality. Its the same trick as for modem speeds (ie 56 kbits instead of 7 Kb).

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
Centripital force strikes again. Man that's a bummer to have happen. I suggest if you have a CD you can RIP that has XA tracks on it that is a copy to test that for ripping sounds off of it see if the same thing happens. IE experiment.

Likely thing that happened is the firmware on the CD-ROM didn't recognize the speed problem and Fppts

I would hate to have that happen :p

Cyb

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Hrmm...makes me glad I got my 72x with Truex...never spins beyond a '12x' speed, making it the quietest drive I've ever owned.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Some 60x CDROMs I've seen can't even read certain CDs...
Darn those greed capitalist scum...

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Since you're talking about cdroms here, i'd like to ask... Is there anyway to stop the cdrom from stopping its spin every 10secs or so? It's really a piece of $#@ when you play rpgs when you have to read a lot and the cd stops, and when it needs to load the next screen, I have to wait for it to spin up again...
It's a Creative 24X. I have a Creative 52X, but it's a piece of crap now...

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Lobotomist
Ok so the title explains it all. psxMC, the japanese program to rip and view psx movies and sounds is dangerous to your CD-Rom driver if it's 44x and higher.

Here's what happened to me:

1) I show the little program to my brother to show him what it can do, we watch some Tekken 3 movies on the rented version we have. So far, everything works fine. Sometimes the CD-rom seems to overrun, but a quick open and close fix it.

2) I decide to rip a movie from the game (Gon's ending to be exact). Everything during the rip works fine, it goes well and everything. Altough the conversion time seems a bit fast (4 minutes for highest quality avi conversion).

3) After the rip the CD-rom starts to overrun again, I lean down to open the drive as usual but before I even touch the eject button, the Tekken CD literally explodes in the cd rom driver. We open it up quickly and the CD is a total loss.

Hmm... So I guess that's kind of sad. That program promised so much but it blows up the CD in your CD-Rom Drive. Oh wow, I got lots of money to lose at this time of the year. By the way, my driver is Atapi 56x CD-Rom. However, I heard that 56x can't go over a 36x limit due to its power. Could be true seeing how the CD just exploded because of the CD-Rom speed. Man, if something like this happened to someone else, or if you have a 50x CD-Rom and plan to get a PSX ripper, just don't do it. The same thing will most likely happen to you.
hmm...aopen drive?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first and best thing to do when you want to use a PSX disc is to make an ISO, then use the ISO in emulators and in video and sound ripper. Indeed, even if your PSX CD doesn't explode with a fast CD reader, it can be scratched, and then it's harder for the real PSX to read it (the PSX laser is a really shit). Use Daemon tools to mount your ISO (it's a CD reader emulator), and you can choose this virtual CD drive in ripping programs (it can be used in ePSXe too, but there is already an ISO option in it)

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Originally posted by Fou-lu
Since you're talking about cdroms here, i'd like to ask... Is there anyway to stop the cdrom from stopping its spin every 10secs or so? It's really a piece of $#@ when you play rpgs when you have to read a lot and the cd stops, and when it needs to load the next screen, I have to wait for it to spin up again...
It's a Creative 24X. I have a Creative 52X, but it's a piece of crap now...
Yeah, get a drive that doesn't NEED to spin up - either a 12x or below or on the other end of the spectrum, a true-x drive. Also, you can try the braking software in Pete's plugin, that may help (as you don't need to go beyond maybe 2x anyways...I mean come on, it's a playstation!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys, seems like it's really the quality of my CD-Rom. Today I was quietly listening to my Metallica CD's (the old ones mind you. When they were still Death Metal) and out of a sudden, my CD-Rom drive stopped working! And I took out every pieces of my Tekken 3 CD when it blown up so it can't be one that go stuck. Grr... I know I shouldn't have bought a Cd-Rom that fast for 50 canadian bucks (25~30 USD) with a one year guarantee on it. Damn those greedy capitalists.

·
I code therefore I am.
412 Posts
Yeah... if you can I would talk to the people you bought the thing off of and ask if this has been a problem. If not see if you can get them to trade it in for a different one that is more reliable.

I wish you good fortune and I hope you will not have so much trauma in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts