Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried installing a world renowned Gforce2 mx w/ 32MB on my pc and guess what, it didn't work! After restarting, it says "there is a problem w/ ur dispaly adapter. Try reinstall the drivers for it.." The hell?!!

Now how I'm gonna make the damn GForce2 card works on my pc?? FYI, my pc spec is:
Intel celeron 300Mhz
128 MB RAM
20.4 GB Western Digital HD
old veryyyy old Soundcard Avance logic 100+ using ISA slot ;)

That's all. so, can u ppl tell me what is wrong? Don't tell me Celeron 300mhz isn't compatible w/ Gforce 2 mx?? Argh!!! I dun want to stick w/ my ol' trusty voodoo2 NEmore.. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is your m/b compatibel with the geforce2?
If it´s AGp your m/b has to support agp 2.1 or something like that.
I had problems like that, because my m/b doesn´t support that new agp port.
Check out www.geforcefaq.com , you could also check on nvidias homepage.

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Okay one thing that I know is that the motherboards with the chipset of ALi (Magik) really suck......I mean they have got fairly low comtatbility.....with hardware.........!

Ali

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a PII300 with 128MB and a LegendV motherboard from QDI.
Even if it's not famous, I have a GF2MX running very very well. I don't know about your motherboard but Have you tried to upgrade your bios?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by UncleClive
Mmm... my younger brother has the same problem, so I need to upgrade his motherboard then? (I suppose it is about time, he is running an AMD K6-2 450). Is it worth upgrading to a GeForce2 MX (& new motherboard and CPU) from a Voodoo 3 3000? Or would that be a waste of money?
Is it worth it? er yes! (this is the route I took last January)

S

·
0 Posts
UncleClive, I am using a SOYO SY-K7VTA Pro mother board, an Athlon T-Bird 1.2 ghz processor, and a GEFroce 2 GTS video card.
They all fit together like a "hand in glove". What more can I say? Upgrade the board, processor, and video card. You and your little brother will be glad you did.:D
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
even if you upgraded your motherboard, 300MHz just isnt gonna cut it, you need 600mhz+ to run a gf2 at good speed, and any new motherboards will require a newer proccessor, sorry man.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh man. New m/board eh?

Oh man! Then i have made a very big mistake buying Gforce 2 then. Coz I don't intend to buy a new motherboard as it would gonna cost me quite a lot. Er... but if i upgrade the bios of my m/board then it will run Gforce 2 well then? I'm using gigabyte m/board FYI.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Pestilence3: I suppose it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your BIOS, you have nothing to lose really.

to the others: Thanks for the replies, but I really dont want to spend too much cash upgrading my brothers PC, I think I will wait until I upgrade my own, and give him what I've got now.

sxamiga: Have you tried running the 3dMark2001 benchmark on your system, I am interested to see how your setup compares to my current system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to upgrade bios.
Which gigabyte m/b do you have.
I have iGigabyte m/b and i had to upgrade my bios and change some settings inside. But i can onlt run d3d in 1x, and it goes slow on some games. In open gl i can run it at 2x. (I cant run it at 4x because my m/b doesnt support that) gigabyte isnt the best :( But it is way faster than the voodoo2 i used before.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Whilst this is not the best option Its just something I remembered. In the 14.X+ series of detonators they added a feature to which off all agp acceleration completely. This should get around bios limitations if there is no updates to the mobo as the mobo then treats the card as if it was a pci one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
geforce 2 mx kicks ass on epsxe.....I have beaten twisted metal 2, chrono cross, tenchu 2, tekken 3, and countless others with no problems:D :spy:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about voodoo3? ^_^

I have this hunch that even if i upgraded my bios, my gigabyte m/b won't work. The m/b is quite old.. i think it's from the end of year 1998. hah. I don't think it's going to work for gforce2mx even after upgrading bios.

So, let's talk about Voodoo3 now. :) I wonder if V3 WILL work on my m/b? Should i choose agp or pci? Which is better? I was a Voodoo die-ahrd fan after all... I can sell my gforce 2 mx with no worries :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
You´d better check the agp compability with the voodoo 3 first, if you go for the agp version. But it shouldn´t cause any problmes, since voodoo3 is older than geforce2, and its only geforce2 that requiers these new type of agp port.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could anyone tell me good settings for using the geforce2mx with a low spec system. So that epsxe, will run better than it does now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
voodoo3 here i come!

Aw yeah! Maybe i should choose the pci one no for better compatibility for my m/b. 16 MB is more than enuff. compared to my voodoo2 8 MB... hahha! But yes i know. 16 is like low standard for existing vid cards for today's market. At least 32 mb right? Well, maybe later. in the year 2003 i shall buy a new pc! Who knows, there will be Pentium 5 or 6? :D

Zell: Well, maybe around RM280-300. Well, converted to USd means around 1000++ hahaha! Well, my friends here in M'sia wants it badly. So, like i said b4, no worries of selling them. after I got the money, I'm gonna buy voodoo3.

Oh yeah i forgot this thing. How we going to know what version is our AGP slot? How u know urs is agp 2.0 or 5.0 or something like that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts