Next Generation Emulation banner

Which sort of connection do you use usually ?

• Intranet/LAN

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 1.5 Mbps T1/Intranet/LAN

• 1 Mbps Cable

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • 512 Kbps DSL/Cable

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • 256 Kbps DSL/Cable

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • 112 Kbps Dual ISDN/DSL

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • 56 Kbps Modem/ISDN

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • 28.8/33.6 Kbps Modem

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!

I just wonder which sort of connection you normally use.
For CyberPad we recommend at least a 112 Kbps Dual ISDN/DSL or better a 256 Kbps DSL/Cable connection.

How fast is your's ?

Vote here !

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i use cable
but it is definitely over 1M, or 1.5M, so i voted "Intranet/LAN"
havent tried cyberpad yet tho

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just a thought... Don't post how fast you get downstream (ie. how fast you download). Vote for the slowest speed listed that you get. Like say, you can download at 300k/s+, but only upload at 32k/s. The upstream is definately gonna hamper your netplay. Granted, it might be more than enough upstream to handle anything a netplay plugin can throw at it, but shrug. I dunno how much the plugin currently utilizes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi!

"ONLY upload at 32k/s" ? :eek:
I would be happy if i could upload 32kbyte/s ... i even can't download with 32kbyte/s ... fucking ISDN :D

With a upstream which allow 32kbyte/s CyberPad should work fine :p

Cu, JNS

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i got the same for upstream and downstream.
actually did some transfers with another cable user, even thru the stupid icq file transfer. we had like 2 or 3 Mbps both ways.

in other words, CABLE ROCKS! (in my case anyways :cool: )

·
Registered
55 Posts
You guys'a re severely confused...

I had to register just to correct you guys! lol. well I did register before, but somehow it said I didnt, and I never bothered re-registering till now... Anyway..

32 KBytes (KB=Thousand Bytes) a second is equivilant to the recommended 256 kb/sec (notice the lowercase k and b, meaning thousand bits). There are 8 bits in a byte, so if you take 256 K bits, and divide by 8 bits (1 Byte), you get 32K Bytes.

Bytes and bits are not diff... If your upload is "15K a sec" how most download managers and IE and ftp clients show, thats... 15*8=120 Bits a second. Your not that far from a 56k dude.

Anyway, holla back if you need a further explanation.

-Robert

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: You guys'a re severely confused...

hi!

Originally posted by theartofbone
If your upload is "15K a sec" how most download managers and IE and ftp clients show, thats... 15*8=120 Bits a second. Your not that far from a 56k dude.
Wrong, if you can upload with "15K a sec" you upload with 122880 Bits per second :D

That means if you can up-/download with 30 - 32 KByte/sec CyberPad should work fine too because you have a "256 Kbps DSL/Cable"-like connection.

On the other side there are also connections with 256 Kbps downstream and a 64 Kbps upstream ... This isn't a real "256 Kbps DSL/Cable"-like connection (in CyberPad) because 64 Kbps is ISDN-like. (I would recommend to use the DualISDN setting for such a connection ... or simply click on the "Check Speed"-button ;) )

Cu, JNS

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
hum. I always thought that JNS and Jens Duttke were the same person. Was I wrong. Why did you change usernames?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I put 1Mbps cable, although I have 4Mbps down/240kbps up. The up is wrong, because I've gotten 70KBps before, but not anytime recent, so I'm thinking they may have lowered the cap. Also, I can get 40kbps up right now, but I'm not going to assume that that's what I'm going to get with this thing.

Also, could you perhaps think about 1-player 2-player support? As in, both players control player 1. I like playing RPG's with friends, and use remote controllers so we can both play at once. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to play 1 player games online.

Also, a chat feature if you don't already have one (haven't actually used the plugin yet, but since nobody has mentioned it.....).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi!

Adair :
No ... i havn't changed my name. Jens Duttke is my real name :D
I just registered JNS some months ago, but forgot to activate the account ... now some months later i lost the mail which is required to activate it, and i don't know how to get this mail again ... without to activate it i cannot post with it ...
Whatever ... my real name is good enough to post here ... not ? :p

FINALmasa :
> so, could you perhaps think about 1-player 2-player support?
> As in, both players control player 1. I like playing RPG's with
> friends, and use remote controllers so we can both play at once.
> I think it would be pretty cool to be able to play 1 player games
> online.

What do yo mean ?

theartofbone :
You round 122880 Bit to 120 Bits ? If you go shopping do you round on the same way ? Instead of paying 120$ you pay 100000$ ? :D
But yup ... people get the point :)
Cu, JNS

·
Registered
170 Posts
He means, will 2 machines running a single player game both be able to control the game via cyberpad. Like, say, Legend of Legaia.

I also hope to be able to do what he suggests. I get really bored when I play single player games now, for some reason. Only way I can play an rpg is when I have company. Talking on the phone while sharing the gameplay online would be close enough to that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have comcast cable and my upload speed is always like half of what my download speed. If I get 10 meg download(very rare now, but I used to get it a lot when I first got it) I had a 7.5 meg upload(ok not half) but when I had a 5 meg I had a 3 meg upload, with a 4 meg download I had a 2 meg upload, with a 3 meg download I had a 1.5 meg upload, and with a 2 meg download I had a 1 meg upload.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts