Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't had time to download cyberpad, find someone to hook up with, and try it yet...So I was hoping someone who has, or someone in the know could answer this question.

I was wondering if it is possible to play co-op games with the cyberpad plugin. For example, a game like Twisted Metal 2 allows two people to play against many computer opponents.

I don't know for sure how cyberpad works, but I would think that if it just sends the controller signals across the network to the other PC, then there would be problems because while his and my moves would be in sync, the computer opponents would not be.

I also wonder if head-to-head play on a game such as TM2 is even possible because I think you get a random start location, so his and mine would not necessarily be in the same place.

Is this completely off-base, or is this really how cyberpad works?

thx.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well cyberpad is a pad plugin so I assume that it works in the method described... namely that it sends same control signals to the differnet machines. Basically any game that can use 2 controllers on 1 playstation can be then played via cyberpad. If it uses split screen then both machines will have the split screen etc...

Although I'm not so sure if it works with games that used a link cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically any game that can use 2 controllers on 1 playstation can be then played via cyberpad
If the plugin works in the method I described, then I don't see how your quote above can be true. Like I tried to explain before, your game is running on your machine, and mine is running on mine. For a game like Gran Turismo or Tekken, or Tetris, everything should sync up just fine because we will both start up at the start line, in the fight position, or with no pieces on our screen. However, some multiplayer games start randomly, or have some other random factor like the computer opponent AI. So is there some way I'm not thinking of to make sure that your game and my game act the same in these situations? Is there really no randomness built in, and the computer will react the same in response to certain input every time? or are these games just unplayable?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
*beta takes a look at it a bit closer* when you run the game in the emulator the first thing that happens is that a config box opens to set one machine as a server and the other as a client. I must therefore assume that one machine also sends control signals... dammit you've got me there. Is there an author in the house ?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
The plugin sends Gfx,sound and control data,it also sends what the CPU is handling.

All this is only what I think but it would be logical for the games to be synced.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
This is taken from the PSEmuPro Screenshots page on cyberpad.psxemu.com:
(Even Tetris with a RNG (random number generator) is on both computers the same.
Try that with ZSNES' or SNES9x's Netplay-function . ;) )
So my assumption is that aside from just syncing gameplay data, cyberpad ensures that only one of the computers (server, maybe?) is the only one responsible for RN calculation; the other just blindly takes this value... so you should see perfect sync in both computers.

151 Posts
Originally posted by Raziel
The plugin sends Gfx,sound and control data,it also sends what the CPU is handling.

All this is only what I think but it would be logical for the games to be synced.
no

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by i4get

no
Can you develop?(if you can say more than one word,BTW you should read your sig:D ).

151 Posts
Originally posted by Raziel

Can you develop?(if you can say more than one word,BTW you should read your sig:D ).
If I said yes, that would make me stupid.

btw if cyberpad sent "Gfx,sound and control data,it also sends what the CPU is handling. " you wouldn't need a cd in both pc. Sending all this info would require much more optimisations and a much higher internet connection.
If i remember right it only sends the buttons status every frame or so (thats why it's called cyberpad.

As for random factors I believe they are synched too, but I'm not sure, you'd have to ask JNS. I'll try to play syphon filter 2 (with JNS or on my LAN) in multiplayer mode to check if the random things work synched. => When you die you start again at random point.

Raziel: better?

Originally posted by khamilto

For a game like Gran Turismo or Tekken, or Tetris, everything should sync up just fine because we will both start up at the start line...
Tetris also is random.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi!

@Raziel :

CyberPad send only the button state, not the GPU and SPU stuff ... that would be crazy ... that would be Roor (joke :D )

@khamilto :

> For a game like Gran Turismo or Tekken, or Tetris, everything
> should sync up just fine because we will both start up at the
> start line, in the fight position, or with no pieces on our screen.

You think Tetris is everytime the same ? Every time you start Tetris the same blocks fall ? That would be damn boring :eek:
I think Tetris is the best game to show how sync CyberPad is ... because Tetris use a RNG to "calculate" which block fall next.
And even the same blocks fall on both computers ... because nothing is random in a computer system ...

If CyberPad don't run out of sync (yep, i've heared that happens on some systems sometimes, but i'm not 100% sure why this happens, currently) even the RNG result is on both computers the same.

@i4get :

> I'll try to play syphon filter 2 in multiplayer mode to check if the
> random things work synched

It's not random ... it's just the result of some stuff like the pad-state and whatever ...

Cu, JNS
http://cyberpad.psxemu.com
http://www.emucheater.com
http://www.emukult.de
http://blini.psxemu.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts