Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I talked to Dimi (Dimitrie O. Paun, of the Wine project) about the possibility to port Cxbx to Linux/ Unix using winelib. He would be interested, and we already made Cxbe compile and link on Linux with only two or three small changes. Now, to port Cxbx, the code has to be usable with MinGW. As we both don't have access to a Windows development system, would anyone here be interested in helping out (creating Makefiles, compile fixes for gcc on Windows if needed)?

Cxbx could also be a valuable test-case for winelib's kernel and DirectX implementation... ;-)

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
lancom said:
Hi there.

I talked to Dimi (Dimitrie O. Paun, of the Wine project) about the possibility to port Cxbx to Linux/ Unix using winelib. He would be interested, and we already made Cxbe compile and link on Linux with only two or three small changes. Now, to port Cxbx, the code has to be usable with MinGW. As we both don't have access to a Windows development system, would anyone here be interested in helping out (creating Makefiles, compile fixes for gcc on Windows if needed)?

Cxbx could also be a valuable test-case for winelib's kernel and DirectX implementation... ;-)
Is it possible to emulate DirectX on linux? oO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, of course it is. And it's not emulation, but simply :)-)) a reimplementation and remapping - like this:

DirectSound -> reimplemented, uses OSS, ALSA, ARTS or JACK as 'driver'.
Direct3D -> mapped to OpenGL (similar to what Cxbx does, mapping XBox D3D->Windows D3D calls as far as I understand).

The rest is also reimplemented, to a level that CS:S, Doom3 (which is also available for Linux, but it's possible to use the Windows binary with Wine), Morrowind, Hitman:Contracts etc work pretty well... AFAIK, Wine supports most of DX7 and 8 and just started the DX9 reimplementation.

EDIT:
http://www.winehq.org - Homepage of the Wine project
http://www.codeweavers.com - a commercial version of the official Wine tree
http://www.transgaming.com - another commercial version, based on an old Wine version, optimized for games

http://winehq.org/site/status_directx - Wine DirectX status, features get implemented as needed
http://winehq.org/site/winelib - winelib, a Wine based Windows->Unix porting layer

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
the direct x issue is going to be hard as hell not to mention slow

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hellmasterx,

why do you think it would be? First, it's not necessary to change Cxbx for that, if Wine's DX is missing stuff Cxbx needs, it's up to Wine to implement this (like d3d8x.h, which is missing right now). And it doesn't have to be slow - in theory, Wine's DirectX could be about as fast as Windows' (maybe except for D3D, because the D3D->OpenGL mapping needs some cycles). It's not yet optimized, because the Wine devs priorize adding features right now...

·
Registered
46 Posts
keep in mind xbox=733mhz p3 w/64mb nvidea. Most pcs these days go far beyond that (at least in the cpu), and besides you'd make up most of that performace hit by having an acually optimized kernel. Windows xp is optimized for 386's which it doesn't even support, my optimized gentoo installation is considerably faster in cpu benchmarks.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
proger said:
Your wrong, the xbox has a 733mhz P3/celeron cpu- 128k cache.
Took the non-punctuated words right out of my mouth.

I love your sig, Proger. My dad and I got a kick out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Computertrendy said:
I love your sig, Proger. My dad and I got a kick out of it.
me too :lol:

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
mmm prehaps its a opporunety whe can`t miss.. wine is a powerfull tool on lunix. it also runs 3d studio max and renders faster then a stripped windows xp..

we also need not to forget that this project attracts new developers with other programming skills.. this is in benefit for cxbx.

i would say make a website where we can track the status of the project.
and if you also spend some time in improving the cxbx windows sources. then i`m in for the project.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
It would be a cool project, but unfortunately, progress with CXBX is struggling as it is. What we need is a way to get capable people to notice the project. Maybe some type of advertising asking for help?

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
mmm advertising where the hack you can advertise for the project.
prehaps we can add something to xbox-scene.com but thats all i can think of.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
lancom ??? what do you need for the lunix port.. i`m willing to help.
if you can tell me what you need and how to make those files `then i will help you.

do you have also a website for this lunix port ?

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
pitty, got a email back from http://www.xfactordev.net he hasn`t the time for helping programming.

'As you said, just needs a few devoted programmers to get it rolling...but am afraid that I've just not got the time lately...like caustik says, have to put food on the table and things :) Still I'm sure you'll find lots of others out there willing to give it a go'

'Again, sorry to be a let down, if you'd asked me a year ago, I had numberous xbox's and was spending all my time hacking away at the xbox..but that was a year ago'

'ask around for developers....its all a matter of time, if your got lots of time, you can get do anything...as its only intel p3 code....nothing could be simpler '

i very apriciate his reply to the email i send him... prehaps more from xbox-scene.com

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Yeah, Ben_3D is a very busy man indeed like caustik. It's too bad that people hate xbox so much because it was made by m$. And that is why xbox emulators are the most scarce. Then again, no one is really brave enough to face the challenge anyway. But I'm sure we can find some new contributers, but noobs now adays just want results, not to help. Remember, blueshogun is here for you always. I'm not the greatest programmer, but I'll be here to lend a helping hand whenever I can :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry for bump, but are there any news?
i'm following the progress of cxbx since early beginning.

as i switched over to linux some time ago, i would really like to see a xbox emulator on linux.

i'm willing to help where i can, if there is any interest in this project after all.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
There has been progress for Cxbx on Windows, but noone is very interesting in porting it to Linux atm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts