Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This forum seriously needs some curse-word filtering adjustments.

The fact that you can't say d ick tracey, c ockpit or pus sycat without editing it a bit is annoying. (Along with any other innocent words that happen to have a cuss word in them)

I'm going to let **** tracey pet my *****cat while sitting in my ****pit. Heh.

And this my friend, is why wildcards are fail.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Why have censoring in the first place? Because of kids? You have to be 13 to register in a forum, by that age you have definitely heard some interesting things. Unless some kids pretends they are 13, then it is NOT your responsibility. The junk forum doesn't have censoring, and that is available to everyone, which kinda doesn't makes sense.

Let's see how many of the 7 words make it through. Here goes.

****, Piss, ****, ****, ****sucker, Mother****er and Tits. And let's not forget Fart, Turd and Twat.

(You have to be comically educated to know what the hell i'm talking about)

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
1emulation did away with the swear filter because they didn't see any need for it. It's not like you can't tell what is being said, it only adds inconvenience such as what is mentioned by Bigig.

Considering the age demographic of the site, it isn't like anyone hasn't heard those words unless you are uber christian and walk around in society with earplugs in your ears all day long everyday.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
I personally don't care either way, but

One idea could possibly to have swearing filter enabled by default, yet any member who is registered to be over a certain age (to be determined by staff), can disable it.

As it stands anyone can access as much adult content as they please, by simply turning off the filter on google image search.

Perhaps the requirements could be identical to that of the bin. So with the combination of that certain post count + time period + age limit, they can disable the default censoring. After all once they gain access to the bin they will have unlimited access to a ocean of not only, swearing but other adult content.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
hmm, yeah pcxl-fan has a good idea.
but i think the current filter does the censoring on the post itself, therefor the idea to make it optional by user preferences would need some major customization to code.

on the bright side, i think cencoring sometimes makes more of an impact on the sentence.

right mother ****ers? you *****es can **** off.
j/k :emb:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I made one adjustment I removed dick from the censor list since its a name too
All the Dicks in the world thank you. Short Dicks, Tall Dicks, all the Dicks.

Though the Dicks are sad that they can't talk about their ****pits. :(

50 Cent would've been my guess :p
It reminded me of George Carlin's "7 dirty works you can't say on TV" sketch.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It reminded me of George Carlin's "7 dirty works you can't say on TV" sketch.
You're probably closer to what he meant to refer to, as I'm pretty much a culture-barbarian.

Just checking, are we able to discuss Assassin's Creed now? Or was that never blocked to begin with?

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
Yeah, it hasn't.

Well... I noticed the need for swear words filter adjustments when I visited Shiori's profile. There was (and right now is) a Japanese word "hajimema****e" written in romaji. It almost made me lol. PCXL-Fan's ideas sounds good. Of course it's pointless to try protecting underaged from reading those words. (I see almost every day little boys walking around the streets and talking like *cough* *cough*, you know.) But as a gesture towards the adults, it's good to have filters.

What I was talking about Japanese words, that was just an example. Only lazy guys and people who are teaching would write Japanese all the time like that. - But if it's possible to make the filter working that way (not noticing the letters in the middle of the words) would be fine. (I doubt it would work.)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I knew all the bad words before turning 10, so I really don't see a point in filtering out anything anyways.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Titus' idea isn't really that bad, though I don't know if this forum's structure supports it.

A filter that only works on standalone words instead of searching for specific letter combinations would be nice. That way you'd be able to, for example, say "****pit" but not "****", should you want to. I don't think the benefits are enough to go out of your way to implement something like that. Then again, it's only a suggestion.

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
Dicks, Asses, PUЅЅY or PUЅЅIES (or if you prefer рussy), Fuсker or fuсk, or even Motherfuсker, Βitches (or Βitch), shіt or jackshіt.. :rolleyes:

Nothing is censored here for me.., All works great :thumb:

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
? Geez the site has existed for 7 years and counting as a totally family friendly site, where decently brought up children around the world (yes, there is a world outside of your 'I learned bad words at 10 country) who hadn't learned any of these words could freely participate without danger of being caught by their parents in a bad site and whatnot. One of the premises of NGemu is being a family friendly site... let's not get astray from that, please.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
That's not what we aimed for, Proto. At least not what I intended. But words like those in the example BigIg put at the top are valid, and there should be no reason for them to be censored whatsoever(which is why I find the idea of a "word stand-alone filter" to be the best solution. You keep the filters, but such words go by without being censored).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.