Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it isn't posted too often these days, these questions still pop up alot.

Questions:
1. Is Xeon still being worked on?
2. Where is _SF_?
3. Can Xeon play Halo2 or Halo3?

Answers:
1. We don't know. See below.
2. Once again, we don't know. No one has seen or heard from _SF_ since 2006! Yeah, I know it sucks, but for all we know he may be too busy IRL, married with kids, or worse yet maybe he died (which I certainly hope isn't true). So the state of status of Xeon and the whereabouts of _SF_ will remain unknown until he decides to come back and say something about it.
3. I get a rediculous amount of questions here on ngemu and youtube for that matter. No! Xeon CANNOT play Halo 2 or Halo 3. Read the docs and you'll see it only plays Halo 1. Furthermore, Halo 3 is for Xbox 360, so I fail to understand why people keep asking me this personally. :mad:

There you have it, and that's about all I can say for now.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Unlikely to happen, if the rumors that Xeon uses stolen Cxbx code is true.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
@BigIg : I consider that rumor to be bullocks, actually.

The commonality is that both Xeon and Cxbx have to patch the same code in Halo in order to run it. (This fact seems to be the reason people assume Xeon is a Cxbx rip-off, which I don't believe.)
Also, both Xeon and Cxbx run the remaining code natively. (This doesn't mean anything about their respective codebases).

The difference however, is that Xeon doesn't have an automated function detection algorithm. This necessitated Xeon to use manually constructed .ini files, telling the engine where to place it's patches. Cxbx on the other hand does sport such a detection engine (look up the OOVPA structure in the Cxbx code), which removes a lot of manual labor, but also bears the risk of incorrect detection (many games crash because of this).

On the other hand, in it's day, Xeon was ahead in a few areas :
- the TLS/FS issues that Cxbx tries hard to fix (using LDT - a technique that doesn't work on 64 bit Windows), where circumvented (or solved differently?) somehow in Xeon.
- it had enough patching for Halo to make that game actually run, while Cxbx is still not supporting that game fully

People have tried to reverse engineer Xeon, but even though it's only a few megs in size, it's still a big undertaking. And there's not all that much to gain from it; The main things we can learn from it, is how it realized the Xbe-loading at address $10000 (something I did independently for Dxbx too), how it fixes the FS-related issues and last (but not least) how the Xeon patches work.

I hope this puts the issue at rest, finally.

Regards,
Patrickvl - Dxbx developer.

PS: Oh, and read this too : http://forums.ngemu.com/xeon-official-discussion/50459-xeon-update.html#post713744

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unlikely to happen, if the rumors that Xeon uses stolen Cxbx code is true.
Xeon isn't a Cxbx rip-off. I know patrick already stated why, but one thing he forgot to mention is that part of Xeon's source was released to prove this. It takes a fair bit of searching, but you can still find it on the net. The only thing _SF_ used was Caustik's .xbe documentation (as all other Xbox emu authors have done).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts