Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading this article from GDhardware about today's "[email protected]$$" gamers sure made me feel old. but apart from that, it really does strike on some main points that i think a lot of gamers (perhaps here on ngemu as well) have been wanting to say but never took the time to actually write out.

For instance:

"You might be a Candy-Ass FPS Gamer if…"

1. You hear the word float – the first thing that comes to your mind is a sniper scope.

2. You think that "strategic gameplay" means you sit in one spot and camp for longer than 60 seconds.

3. You’ve never done a rocket-jump.

4. You’re waiting with baited breath for (enter name of next-gen console here).

5. You’ve never been to a LAN party.

6. You’re stoked about the news of an XBOX 360 controller for the PC.

7. Your idea of practice is spending two hours surfing the net for an aim hack.

8. You refuse to install that "Punkbuster" thingy because you’re worried it might block Kazaa.

9. You’ve never been invited to join a clan.

10. You’re too young to vote in an election but you’ve demanded a gameplay patch from a developer.

11. You’ve spent less than fifty hours playing a multiplayer title and have decided it’s “not fair” and everyone else is “cheating”.

12. You refuse to use any weapon that carries less than 500 rounds, has a rate of fire below 300 rounds per minute, or doesn’t utilize “splash damage”.

13. You have never memorized a map or the locations of weapons and power-ups.

14. You’ve never competed in an online tournament.

15. You don’t have time to hone your skills because your geometry homework is overdue.

16. Your only knowledge of World War II is via cutscenes.

17. You’ve never hammered on your keyboard and then kept playing.

18. You minimize your game more than three times per match to type a message in Xfire, ICQ or AIM.

19. You’ve never figured out what the point of that “frisbee gun” is in Unreal Tournament.

20. You’d rather spray paint your logo on the wall than spray your opponents all over the wall.

21. (For Thresh) If you think Xfire is the name of a Chrysler product!

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
For me, PC gaming was over a long time ago... Heheh, I used to be an Amiga freak anyway. If I play on my PC nowadays it is either an emulator or some oldschool game which I am very fond of. Most PC games seem "soulless" for me. The only PC games which have interested me for a bit longer lately and was NO conversion from a console was Call of Duty and Medal of Honor Allied Assault.
The next generation of players is used to get everything in an easy way, without much effort. Many games are easy to beat, too easy IMO. I remember playing Eye of the Beholder 2, THAT was a challenge - those who played it know what I speak of. Comparing that to FFVIII is like comparing driving a bike to flying a plane ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
*sigh.. I think Im not alone, I love PC gaming and is so alive for me, I just can't stop playing them(when I have free time of course),.. and Im not into next gen consoles, to expensive and Im not into many of that kind of games lol.. Maybe in a couple of years, at the moment PC has everything :p

Sincerely Shin_Mike.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
I guess I am not the one who feels screwed by every game with "realistic" weapons handling where even if you are a special ops elite troop who mastered every weapon out there and you still handle a gun like you never held one before
At least Quake4 and Serious Sam2 had good gun controls

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
rubberchicken said:
I think I'm past the "cheating" stage, although I still get pretty damn mad when I keep getting killed. *sigh*
That's understandable, everyone gets mad when getting killed for the xth time :) I currently play MK Shaolin Monks (IMO it is a good MK game since MK2:) and...

the last battle with Shao Kahn made me almost to break something in my room :) When he draws his hammer all the fun begins :>

I also use cheats, very rarely and always once I completed the game at least once, but not for the purpose to win or something but rather to learn every aspect of the game. Cheating not always means evil ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
6. You’re stoked about the news of an XBOX 360 controller for the PC.
Damn :(

I only want it for my games that NEED a controller (if you play POP with a keyboard and not a gamepad with an analog stick, you should be shot, for example). Am I still a candy ass gamer? :( Basically if it was designed with a console in mind, a controller is what I believe it should be played with (that includes Splinter Cell even though aiming is easier with a mouse).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Shin_Mike_God said:
*sigh.. I think Im not alone, I love PC gaming and is so alive for me, I just can't stop playing them(when I have free time of course),.. and Im not into next gen consoles, to expensive and Im not into many of that kind of games lol.. Maybe in a couple of years, at the moment PC has everything :p

Sincerely Shin_Mike.
Too expensive? A console is cheaper than the best video card available :p. And that video card is not all you need ;). Once every 4-6 years for a new console as opposed to once every 2-3 years for a videocard (unless you like 30fps in F.E.A.R., Quake IV and Doom 3 you have upgraded your card in the last 3 years, or you're playing at 640x480 or 800x600 with all options off depending on how fast your processor is). And then you don't only need the new video card, processor, ram, mobo every 6-8 years depending on the speed of technologies increase.

If I didnt' play games, I'd still have my 800mhz Thunderbird and Riva TNT 2.

I like both equally, consoles give me games that are better on consoles (fighting games, arcade racers, japanese style rpg's etc...). PC's give me FPS and RTS and MMO's. I use my xbox gamepad for a lot of games on PC that you can find on xbox too (MotoGP3, POP, SC, MGS, Silent Hill). If its a console game intially, but then comes to PC - I will get it on PC instead of console because it looks better and I can still use hte controller. But there are exclusive games I'll never get on PC ever (until Xbox's XNA hopefully)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
not all the points are all that valid, but i did pass just about all of them :D

as for me, i don't really play games online anymore. i probably will once NWN2 comes out, as long as it isn't disappointing like guild wars. i'm getting farther and farther away from the recommended PC specs so playing PC games is losing its appeal...
the big picture, however, is that i like a heavy plot. most PC games are about action, so console rpgs do the trick.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
Lobo said:
Damn :(

I only want it for my games that NEED a controller (if you play POP with a keyboard and not a gamepad with an analog stick, you should be shot, for example). Am I still a candy ass gamer? :( Basically if it was designed with a console in mind, a controller is what I believe it should be played with (that includes Splinter Cell even though aiming is easier with a mouse).
don't worry, the "pc gamer" in question apparantly only plays FPS games...
can't blame him, there isn't much else left :p (aside from the occasional console port and MMORPGS)

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Yeah I swear by my Dual Shock controllers...When I get PoP2, I'll definitely use it...
I have PoP for my Gamecube and I use a Sony DualShock on it as well! ;)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Wait, I am pretty excited about the XBox360 controller for PC, for the same reasons as Lobo. I am a candy-ass gamer after all. :(

That's the only thing on that list I can identify with. :p

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Player-X said:
There are a few good RTS games that seem to be released under the radar like Earth2160 or AOE3
actually, PC get a LOT of good RTS games. there's probably as many good RTS games as FPS.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.