Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to make a subchannel for FF8. I started epsx 1.6, pressed the configure button for CDrom to apply Peops CDR 1.4. Then I wanted to create a subchannel with Create SBI / M3 File. I took "read subchannels from CD" as mode and as output fiel i selected "SBI File". The outfile path is "D:\ePSX\bios". Instead of creating the subchannel a small screen appears: Please insert the PSX CD. Altough I insert a PSX CD in the right Drive it comes to this message. After I clicked yes on this screen, another screen appeared: ePSX found a problem and has to be quit. What should I do now?

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
You must give it a name, not only a path. I suggest to use the patches folder instead of the bios one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. the path now is "D:\ePSX\patches\FF8_CD1(SBI File)
But the programm is still crashing down... don't know why.... I'm using a Yamaha CRW F1 and an Asus E-616 and I got this problem with subchannels with both of them (Please insert a PSX CD)...

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Did you pick the right cd drive in the previous screen? Can you load games using peops cd plugin? Did you test wich read mode worked with your drive?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Don't forget that some drives don't support subchannel reading, especially non-burner and old ones.

Anyways, you'd better DL a PPF file, they're easier to use, faster, and sometimes have
extra features (PAL/NTSC selector, trainers for cheaters, and sometimes even bugfixes ;))

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange.... I tried to find the read mode with both drives (Yamaha CRW F-1 (CD-Burner) and the Asus E-616 (DVD-Player)) but nothing went well... when I tried to start for example C12 on Peops nothing happend and on Xeven's CDR Driver the game started (Sapu was able to start the game, too)...

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
It seems that P.E.Op.S failed the auto detection test.
You must manually, using trial and error, to find the read mode of the drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already done it this way with all possible read modes (using trial error)... With Sapus Tool I found out that the SCSI_BE read mode is the mode i need... Does Peops has this read mode?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You may want to see if you have an ASPI layer installed. Having an ASPI layer will open up more read options to you, so you may be able to use some alternative plugins, read modes, and (maybe) read subchannels if your drive can handle it. You can use something like ForceASPI at http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm to install an aspi layer, backup your current one, and restore your backup. It just puts the right version of the DLLs in the right place for your operating system. I would definately suggest using the backup option first if you do have an ASPI layer, though as some commercial burning programs install a custom layer that may not work with the old Adaptec DLLs used in this layer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok I am using P.E.Op.S CDR Driver version 1.4 and here is my configuration. Unless you are playign PAL games, you shouldn't need subchannel reading turned on, but you can play around with that AFTER you manage to get it to boot. Try to set it up like this (use version 1.4 if you can, even if it isn't the newest, just so we can be on the same page), and if you are unable to for any reason, post what went wrong. If IOCTL SCSI Commands isn't an option or if BE_2 doesn't show up, then replace the plugin and try again. If something else went wrong, describe it here.

btw...I have no clue how old my CDR driver is, so it may be up to date or it may be ancient...but if it works, who cares?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks... everything goes now (it was one of the interface options which didn't appeared)... I can even patch and make subchannels with Peops, the only problem now is that it cant read subchannels. I've waited for about 5 minutes and nothing happened. Should I wait longer or did I wait too long?

·
Registered
183 Posts
well if you made the subchannels file, you should be using the options to read subchannels from a file and select the file you made. If your drive does not cooperate in making that file, then I would suggest sticking to ppf patches. If after 5 min a protected game doesn't run with read subchannels on, then your drive isn't reading them or is "guessing" as many drives do. If you still cannot even run a non-protected game after 5 minutes, then there isn't much more I can suggest other than playing around with the settings some more...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peops can read now every game... the patches with the ppf files worked too. I can even create subchannels with Peops, the only thing which didn't work was the subchannel using... i made a subchannel in the patches directory. I also named it with Game_CD.sbi... I select this together with "using subchannels" from the options... I tried this and then black screen (I waited 5 min. and then I quit the application)... So whats wrong now with the subchannel reading?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't make a habit of importing games (I own only 3 imports), so I only have one game I need the subchannel file for. My drive will read the subchannels on the fly pretty well if I use the option to limit my drive speed to 4x, but some parts of the game get choppy or slow with that on, so I use the read from sbi option. I use CloneCD to make my subchannel files, use the plugin to convert them to the "verbose" mode, whichever one that is...I have not tried using the plugin itself to make the subchannel file, so I dunno how well that works. I think that you have to manually select the subchannel file in the plugin every time you play a game, unless the patch trick works for subchannel files too...I will look into that

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
there's nothing wrong with subchannel reading, it might go a bit slow, butother than that it should be fine. when i make ISOs i always do subchannel data, it goes slow when reading off there but its really no big deal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just made a subchannel file (SBI) with Peops and then activated the option "use subchannel files". After that I showed Peops the path to the subchannel and then I wanted to try the game. It took a long time (5min) and nothing happened at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok I am going to try to recreate your problem on my computer since the configurations seem to be similar. I am using the NTSC U/C version of FF8 tho...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts