Next Generation Emulation banner

Creating Backups?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bgnome 
#1 ·
I noticed the Dreamcast uses GD-Rom, and have also been told these cannot be read by a CD Drive. So I'm wondering, how would one go about creating backups to use with Chankast? I'm never heard of a GD Drive...

#2 ·
I think a select few CD rom drives can actually read GD-Roms. It's only like a one in a billion chance. U'm not even sure if that's a fact, but I could see it being true :p Isn't someone working on a plugin for cd drives to read gd roms?

Other than that I think you need a modded dreamcast or something ... Egh. I'm not much of a Dreamcast guy. Sorry that's all I know.

#4 ·
I think it's just like the gamecube....use the broadband adapter...yada yada....I don't know for sure though. I really think someone ought to put here exactly how to make backups of your own games considering (from what I've heard) you have to have a dreamcast and an original game to do it. It's perfectly legal, so why not have a tutorial here?

#5 ·
As far as i know you need the game, a dreamcast (surprise :D ) and a coders kit cable. then you DL some (freeware) programs, connect the dc to your pc, send some commands to your dc and the dc starts to send the whole gd rom to your pc. it can (and most likely will) last several hours and voila you have your backup.
for more detail i suggest searching google for a tutorial because there are some detailed enough out there.
correct me if any of my info was wrong cuz i've never done it myself. :innocent:

#6 ·
~akujin~ said:
As far as i know you need the game, a dreamcast (surprise :D ) and a coders kit cable. then you DL some (freeware) programs, connect the dc to your pc, send some commands to your dc and the dc starts to send the whole gd rom to your pc. it can (and most likely will) last several hours and voila you have your backup.
for more detail i suggest searching google for a tutorial because there are some detailed enough out there.
correct me if any of my info was wrong cuz i've never done it myself. :innocent:
ive heard of people telnetting in through the modem port and waiting a few days to transfer the gig or so..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.