Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since you guys are trying to emulate the PS2, i think you know the answer for my question. How do you create a PS2 game, i mean to create a Xbox game they use the Xbox dev Kit, so is there anything like that when creating a PS2 game?

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I guess the PC's are used a lot too, there are quite a few game making tools I've seen that have options for console development. But I'm sure the PStool has many unreplacable features, especially when it comes to testing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
__Xzyx987X said:
Actually, there was one other way. There was this kit Sony was selling to convert your PS2 to a Linux box, and then you could use that enviornment to write games. I dunno if they're still selling it now though.
Yea thats true but there were several limitations with that. Sony locked developers out of several hardware calls and memory addresses so there was enough there to play with and have a little fun, but not enough for true development.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
So not even the ppl that make games knows the entire system?
Sony is getting really weird here...

·
Registered
61 Posts
No thats not what I meant. On the official "private" dev kits that only go out to companies developers have access to everything. The limitations are with the "public" dev kit that sony released, where your ps2 runs a distro of linux sony put together.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Oh, got it now.
Yeah, since the PS2 linux was kinda cheap, revealing all secrets wouldnt be a good move....

·
Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
Mad said:
Oh, got it now.
Yeah, since the PS2 linux was kinda cheap, revealing all secrets wouldnt be a good move....
If they did that, Sony would be inviting all kinds of homebrew apps/games and other not so nice things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.