Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating whether or not I should create my personal website from scratch in Visual Studio 2008 or use a web starter kit like Dotnetnuke.

The benefits of creating a website from scratch is I have full control of the layout and content. The downfall is it takes time to set everything up and there's the possibility of running into programming errors.

Using a web starter kit gives me everything setup already (registration, forums, etc.). But there is a limited customization and the forms maybe too complex than necessary for a personal website.

I would like to know what people here have used to setup their own website?

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I think a combination of both is better. Arm yourself with a set of templates that you code or that you have thoughtfully tested that you can use as the skeleton for any site you create. The first sites you make will be almost made from scratch, but as you gain experience so will do your template repository, saving you a lot of time in creating the basic structure for any site you make.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
My own personal website currently doesn't exist, but for sites I made it's been usually from scratch, and more recently re-using self-created code (or code from others, but not without understanding it).
Of course there can be exceptions, such as including a pre-made library to use some special features (think of something like adding zip-support to your website; you don't really want to reinvent the wheel and write such an algorithm yourself, well, unless you really like to do that).
Lots of code samples on the net to help you out too, just try and understand them and not blindly copy+paste, even if it's tempting :)

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
I have been debating whether or not I should create my personal website from scratch in Visual Studio 2008 or use a web starter kit like Dotnetnuke.

The benefits of creating a website from scratch is I have full control of the layout and content. The downfall is it takes time to set everything up and there's the possibility of running into programming errors.

Using a web starter kit gives me everything setup already (registration, forums, etc.). But there is a limited customization and the forms maybe too complex than necessary for a personal website.

I would like to know what people here have used to setup their own website?

Install Wordpress to your directory and use the modulated themes available. Add a sub list, seo plugins, submit a site map to google and add 5 new backlinks a day for a week.

Wait for the site to surface and not be sanboxed before polishing everything up for public. remember to have strict targets for traffic and always move forward.

Good luck dude. :thumb:

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
websites done entirely by hand-typed code usually are very simple and look lame.
the best websites generally use some app to help in development, and then they fine-tune some code by hand to get the desired look.

even in normal windows apps, programmers usually dislike designing GUI layouts in pure code, and tend to use form builders.

·
Here... take my hand
637 Posts
Websites can be a pain in the ass. It all depends on what language you plan on using... if it's purely HTML/CSS/Javascript then Notepad++ is the way to go.... PHP and other languages used for Dynamic websites, well you're honestly better cutting as many corners as possible, otherwise you're wasting time on **** that doesn't need it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.