Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytimes i play those games like max payne or return to the castle wolfenstein, i will have a very serious disk swapping problem.

Mo matter what i do in the games, like walking, shooting, opening door, looking around with the camera,turning left, turning right, etc, i noticed that my hard disk will become very busy, seems like it was doing a very heavy disk swapping.

I suspect i set the setting to too high until my com cant support,but it seems not true,I have tried to set everything to minimun setting, like 640x480,16bit color, no fsaa, but still cant solve the problem. And i also noticed, my game was running more than 80 fps per second, but, when i turned left or right in the game, the fps will go down to 3 or so and the screen stopped for a while and the harddisk started to do its crazy disk swapping task ( i assume it was doing disk swapping) ..........

anyone know how to stop my hard disk from performing this crazy disk swapping every second every minute?

my spec :

Athlon 1.4 266 fsb
Elsa gladic gts pro 32 meg ( v22.83 ) ( i have also tried the v22.50, v22.88, v22.81 )
quantum fireball 4.2 gig ( probably running at 4800 rps )
msi k7t266 pro
Samsung 128 ddr ram

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by REBolt
I think thats have to do with yor hard disk... do it a defragmentation...

I think... its justmy hint...
thanks for ur reply, but defragment the hard disk cant help...... :(

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Never heard harddisk running at 4800 rps before
4300,5400,7200 that all I ever heard...............
This used to happen with me...........
Try to serch what program running in bg..........
When you found it then close it..........
Just another suggestion.................

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Never heard harddisk running at 4800 rps before
4300,5400,7200 that all I ever heard...............
i guess mine is either 4300 or 5400.

Originally posted by Bgnome
you wont believe the amount of help a defrag can be..
you might wanna try cleaning out your registry too

i did, i even reinstalled my window.

Btw, i am using win98 se.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Final way out
Format your harddisk.................
And just install what program which you have to or really need to use it...............

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is a command for use in system.ini, but i am not sure whether it is "ConservativesSwapfileUsage" or "ConservativeSwapfileUsage".

which one is correct???

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to adjust my agp aperture size and set the ConservativeSwapfileUsage now.

Thanks for all ur helps. later.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do you have your pagefile(virtual memory set to a fixed rate or is it set at "let windows manage my VM settings setting thiis thing to a fixed rate REALLY HELPS believe me maybe not in your problen but when you do this you will for sure turn up better benchmark scores i think this will help in your situation because no matter how much ram you have windows uses the pagefile FOR LOTS of shit and when its getting used heavily its changing size lots so th HD is trying to do more than it should go to this settings if you dont know how (you sound like you know how ?)right click on my computer and go to properties and umm i cant remember in win 98its under the advanced tab in xp though:) a good setting for any amount of ram is probely 250 and like bggnome said clean your registry and for god sakes defrag with norten speed disk not windows if you can

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by eazye
Do you have your pagefile(virtual memory set to a fixed rate or is it set at "let windows manage my VM settings setting thiis thing to a fixed rate REALLY HELPS believe me maybe not in your problen but when you do this you will for sure turn up better benchmark scores i think this will help in your situation because no matter how much ram you have windows uses the pagefile FOR LOTS of shit and when its getting used heavily its changing size lots so th HD is trying to do more than it should go to this settings if you dont know how (you sound like you know how ?)right click on my computer and go to properties and umm i cant remember in win 98its under the advanced tab in xp though:) a good setting for any amount of ram is probely 250 and like bggnome said clean your registry and for god sakes defrag with norten speed disk not windows if you can

i did set the swap file myself....... 320m min and 320m max... does not helps at all......

Btw, i have tried to set the conservativeswapfileusage to 1 and ajusted the setting in agp aperture size...but none of the mentined help to solve the probs.......blue screen even came out when i set the agp aperture size to 16 when loading return to the castle wolfenstein......

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
write zeros to the entire drive and start from scratch or get norton utilities and run WINDOCTOR then DISK DOCTORthen reg cleanup then speed disk use speed disk to Full optimization and let it go at it for hours (it takes this long with norten)or like i say if u dont got norten utilities back everything upt up and write zeros to it this is a low level format that erases EVERYTHING(partion tables boot records and the like ) if you dont know how to write zeros let me know i will help you out

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by eazye
write zeros to the entire drive and start from scratch or get norton utilities and run WINDOCTOR then DISK DOCTORthen reg cleanup then speed disk use speed disk to Full optimization and let it go at it for hours (it takes this long with norten)or like i say if u dont got norten utilities back everything upt up and write zeros to it this is a low level format that erases EVERYTHING if you dont know how to write zeros let me know i will help you uot
thanks for ur replies.

I have norton utilitiy 2001. I ran windoc, then sys doc, then speed dosk, then disk doc, then optimization wizard.

Well, helpless. And my hairs started to turn grey....then white....

·
Registered
215 Posts
write zeros man ...its the only way out of some nasty hd probs and btw it WILL work if you do this just youll lose everything so back it up to cds if you got a burner i can send you the utility all you gotta do is put it on a floppy mount the floppy in dos mode and type gwscan then selct write zeros to entire drive and type in yes two times then it goes att er for an hour or 2 depending on your drive size (1hour 30 minutes for my 18 gigs) if you have no other options do this

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eazye, thanks for ur helps. I will try to borrow some ddr rams from my friends and see what happen before i do the low lvl format.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
I'm not sure, but it could be the windows cache settings. If you download a program called Cacheman, it can adjust the cache settings to a better one according to what you're using the computer for. You can get it here.
I'm not sure though if it will help.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Zephon
I'm not sure, but it could be the windows cache settings. If you download a program called Cacheman, it can adjust the cache settings to a better one according to what you're using the computer for. You can get it here.
I'm not sure though if it will help.

ok, thanx zephon.

I guess the crazy disk swapping problem occurs is because i dont have enogh rams. Before this, i allocated alot of rams ( about 40megs ) for cache, after i lowered down the cache, the games seems works better and cause less disk swapping, and also, take less times to load the games.So i guess the solution for me is to add more rams.....

Anyway, thax for all u guys' helps. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts