Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crayon Physics Deluxe (PC)

Establishing the benchmark

On many an occasion gamers have labelled short games or web based games as being highly addictive or similar to having an addiction to crack unable to describe the experience as anything but. For the most part these accolades accurately label these games, yet neglect to say that the whole endeavour was short and unlikely to come back again six months later. So can Kloonie games break the too common moniker, and leave us with a memorable experience?

Time to break out the Crayolas

Playing as a quite unlikely premise, Crayon Physics Deluxe very simple in concept, the player enters an island, selecting one of the dozen or so levels and must guide a small ball across a small scene in order to make contact with a star, thus awarding the opportunity to continue exploring the island. In each of these levels are a series of obstacles, such as gaps, walls, or moving arms blocking the balls path to the star. To overcome these challenges, one must draw solutions on the screen to influence the travel path; these solutions include drawing bridges, swinging arms, catapults, or pulley systems. There are no running clocks, no point scores save for the collection of stars, and no limitation to the solution of the puzzles, which is what makes the whole experience so fantastic.

Phillip J. Fry - age 20

On the surface the solution to these puzzles seem obvious, simply draw whatever you want, like a straight line between the star and the ball and level is over and it would be that simple, if not for the brilliant inclusion of the physics element, which simply means that once a line is drawn, it will fall until it comes into contact with a solid object, otherwise it will fall off the map and will be of no use. Including the effects of physics and gravity into the game adds a tremendous amount of challenge, forcing the player to think about the actions and reactions of what must be done and with well over 70 levels, there is no shortage of approaches to complete the task at hand, with the only limitation being ones imagination.

Pass me the purple crayon

Control is achieved through either a mouse or a drawing tablet, with the latter being the logical choice for tackling the challenge at hand. The left mouse button draws the line and the right mouse button used to erase whatever line you have drawn. You cannot rub out select pieces of anything you have drawn, which means that if you make a mistake with one of your lines you have to delete it and try again, but with only a few lines used to complete any task it never rears its head as an aesthetic issue.

Plans complete, Mongolians prepared to scale the great wall

Combining real world physics and a graphics style which represents that of a 4 year olds drawing is quite the spectacular combination, inspiring the scientific mind and the inner child at the same time is indeed a unique and pleasant experience, unmatched in the gaming world. Lines are crisp, vibrant and the animation is kept to a bare minimum, yet it all feels so alive, as if your imagination fills in all the missing detail giving the impression of a lively scene when all there is in reality is nothing but a few scant colourful lines.

With the main game focused on puzzle solving, Kloonigames have wisely chosen to keep the audio proceedings lovely and simple, with the only audio cues coming from the dragging of the crayon across the canvas and the masterfully relaxing and purely gorgeous soundtrack which could feel at home at a day spa. Any stress caused by the puzzle at hand is immediately squashed by the soothing backing track, which adds so much charm to the proceedings.

It’s going right on the fridge, so that everyone can see

Created from such a small development team and with such few resources it is immediately apparent that any bugs or niggles in the proceedings will be pretty obvious, yet for such a set up there is absolutely nothing that brings the whole experience down. All the edges have been smoothened out and any bugs squashed, which means that all there is to go on is seamless game play. No loading times, tight circulation of music and visuals which do not break can only mean that the whole experience is as wholesome and complete as PC gaming can get.

Early methods to capture meteors were cumbersome at best

Klooniegames have managed to do is give players a relatively blank canvas and the opportunity to achieve whatever we want out of the whole experience. Combining irresistible charm and challenging levels which never seem to run out what we have here is not only a game that is perilously addictive, but incredibly memorable and with the ability to create levels and upload them to the online community the opportunity for the game to never run out of fun.

Gameplay – 96
Visuals – 97
Audio – 97
Overall – 97

A modern day masterpiece, all for a paltry $20, and a tidy 50 odd megabytes.

Crayon Physics Deluxe

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
I played that game but got bored right away world of good is better 4 me

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Hey I didn't check that this game came out for Pc, I have the iPhone version and with the accelerometer controls and multitouch, it gives a lot of feeling of physics in the game.

Here is a screenshot of the iPhone version.

Really great game.

Worth the money.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
What a lovely demo, thanks for pointing me out. Do you have any idea how big the full game is? This style grabs me like Yoshi's Island on Snes :D

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The full game has over 70 levels, and they go into the hundreds with downloadable content and user made levels, the full game folder is under 50mb.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Nice review (your one mid review message (hand me the purple crayon) does not have the propper spacing, size and boldness by the way) Snick :)

Hmm I need to go take a look. Reminds of Crazy Machines/Incredible Machine by the sound of things although in those you use predetermined objects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts