Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to emulation and I have really appreciated this fourm. Most of my questions have been answered by people before me. I'm sure that this one has been asked as well, but here goes.
My epsxe loads discs well, but sometimes it crashes for no real reason., at random points during game play. I am loading every game from original PS Discs
I'm useing a:
fujitsu n series laptop
P4 2.6
512 RAM
ATI graphics card
In the help file it said that this might be a bus problem, but I don't know how to reset my PCI bus, and I don't see what that really has to do with the problem.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
what type of crash are you getting? an illegal operation? opcode error? computer restart?

im guessing that you are on windows XP. where did you get ePSXe from, was it somewhere other than epsxe.com?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am useing XP
I did download it from epsxe.com
The crash turns my laptop off so I don't get a message.
and my plugins are as follows:
Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2.
ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
ah yes! now i remember. the very famous laptop crash!

i always forget when this problem arises. but now i remember. there are 2 reasons ePSXe causes laptops to crash:

1. laptops automatically downclock when you are working, say, on MS word. you dont need all that processing speed to run word. my mom's lappy downclocks from 1.7 ghz to something like 500 mhz in order to run cooler (note this is [should be] on battery power). so ePSXe locks up because it doesnt have enough CPU to power it (multiplier suddenly dies).
2. your laptop doesnt downclock itself when ePSXe is running. ePSXe is a CPU intensive program, it will work out your CPU. now, laptops dont have the best cooling systems. this is amplified by playing on your actual lap (dont do this!). so, your computer gets too hot and reboots itself.

solution? when PSX emulating, always stay plugged in (especially if you have a CPU that downclocks like mobile P4, centrino, or mobile AXP) and keep it on a flat, cool surface (like a desk). unfortunately if you live in a tropical climate with warm weather and no desks, you are pretty much screwed.

·
band
4,912 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts