Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Using ePSXe's internal SPU or Andy's SPU, I can get my sound to play without stuttering majorly like it does on the other plugins, but it is all crackly in the background. Is this normal? Other stuff I play on my computer isn't crackly. I have a Sound Blaster Live Value, Athlon 1.33, 768MB SDRAM, running off a dvd-rom drive, playing Suikoden II, although I'm pretty sure it does it with other games too. Please reply if you've got any info, I can't use VGS because I have Win2k. :confused:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Dont post the same thing twice,thats a general rule.Neway welcome to Ngemu and Beware of the administrators(All of them are helpful but sometimes they are very strict on rules.)One of your threads is sure to be closed.

And in my opinion crackly sound is normal in some games.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, sorry about the double post.
Yeah, I've been messing around with different sound card drivers and disabling ACPI and trying a whole lot of unnecessary stuff, still the annoying crackles. Maybe it is my new headphones, I thought I heard it in the speakers too though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It seems as if the problem may have only been in the intro movie. I was so involved in trying to make the intro play right I forgot to check the actual game. :D It works fine with Andy's SPU at least; anyone else who has ridiculous amounts of audio skipping I suggest you try this SPU.

Edit: Actually, it does still crackle a little tiny bit ingame (I think with the background music), but that's fine :cool:

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
By the way, where can you find andy's spu? That's a plugin I haven't tried, and I'm desperate to get FF9 to run on my 233 Mhz Pentium-1 with smooth sound.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by Goku7
By the way, where can you find andy's spu? That's a plugin I haven't tried, and I'm desperate to get FF9 to run on my 233 Mhz Pentium-1 with smooth sound.
lotsa luck to ya m8.. a regular psx is almost better than that ;)

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
The best spu really depends on the game you're playing. MGS plays better with Pete's. I use Iori's spu for most games and it works great. Reccomended.

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Well, I've tried Iroi's, Pete's, Andy's, etc. and while they only stutter during the loading of something, when they play FF9's background music, it's v-e-r-y s--l--o--w as far as tempo is concerned, making it really annoying. Upgrading is out of the question right now, since i don't have enought money to buy anything better than what I already have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could try VGS if you don't have win2k. Or were you using the emu because you wanted better graphics

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
At this point I just want to be able to play the game with the sound not sounding like its coming out of a underpowered phonograph. As long as I have the option of 3d Acceleration and using 640X480 resolution, then I don't have a problem with the graphics.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Originally posted by Goku7
At this point I just want to be able to play the game with the sound not sounding like its coming out of a underpowered phonograph. As long as I have the option of 3d Acceleration and using 640X480 resolution, then I don't have a problem with the graphics.
Dont you think you are asking for just too much from your 233 mhz processor?Ok If you can live with some glitches try segu's or even nik's direct 3d plugins.They are faster than others(and will show many glitches).
Neway the game you are trying to play is known to be one of the most difficult ones to be configured and worked properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hmmhhh, cracky sound ha :)

I did experience that too, and not mention the cracky movie too :), but I did overcome it and it's running pretty smooth now :)

well, in my case, the main problem is: the CDROM's speed, which is too fast :), and luckily, my CDROM is ASUS 40x, so can be slow down with the program from ASUS. but since Pete release his CDROM Plugins, I don't even have to use the program anymore, because it has internal cd slow down function(so what to do is just use Pete's CDROM Plugins, and use the function, slow it down to 8 speed of 4, and the cracky sound should disappear :), but the loading time is screw :( )

anyway, I am using Iori's SPU (the best one, I think :) )

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Why can't they just write an spu that has the option of letting you use your midi hardware port directly for the music in games like ff8,ff9, and so on?

I know, I know, the music would sound totally different because of the lack of correct samples. But in my case (and I'm being hypothetical about the results).....

My soundcard is an XG Hardware card. Most of the samples are very close to the ones used in FF9, so there wouldn't be much difference in sound, except it'll play it at a normal speed.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Andy's is good, but way too slow on my PC... I prefer Eternal, which has awesome quality and is smooth as Heidi Klum's arse. :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hmm ... actually that would be an interesting option Goku7. While I couldn't actually use it I wouldn't mind seeing the availability of it. It never crossed my mind.

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Yeah, well, when I first thought about using emulators (because FF8pc was software-MIDI only, and they included a cheap Sample set [DLS], and I wanted the true PSX soundtrack on my PC--but my involvement in the FFSF Project has removed that reason), I thought it really did use the hardware MIDI port. It was only after using emulators did I discover the existence of XA audio, and the cold hard fact that my processor speed is not enough with current spu's, including eternal's, that I found that its using some weird, inefficient method of emulating PSX MIDI-type songs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts