Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my PC started about 2 weeks ago just randomly shutting down at the worst times, when I had not save my graphics work.

I was not sure why. So I started to inqure of friends and PC shop owners.

Most said it sounded like an over heat issue ( which it was)

The CPU was reaching temps of 168 - 172 degree F

So I opened the case stripped off the Thermal Paste that came with my P4 and put new paste, cleaned the Heatsync and fan ( strapped a second fan to it as well), and now the reset issue seems to have cleared.

I am curious tho.....am I doing enough?

This was taken a few min's ago

Should I be looking to get my CPU even cooler still? Where should I be for Temp?

It's a P4 2.8Ghz HT I am now running XP Home.

Any and all words of wisdom will be greatly welcomed and thanked in advance !!!!!

:bow: Emuforums Peeps :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine is 43 celsius for cpu and 35 celsius at memory.
Guess that it depends on your computer component, but I doubt it is an overheating issue because mine is fine.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Whoa, 58c in BIOS is absolutely horrible, especially for a Northwood. No wonder..

How much thermal grease did you apply?

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
58c is horrible anywhere....
I ALWAYs try to keep mine at 45c. (Which is what it's at now).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cooliscool said:
Whoa, 58c in BIOS is absolutely horrible, especially for a Northwood. No wonder..

How much thermal grease did you apply?
I got a bulk pack of 5 tabs ( preformed on clear wax like paper almost same size as chip)

I had to paste 2 tabs so proper contact was made between the heatsync and CPU.

Can I upgrade the Bios??? Flash it or something?

Or should I just break down and get a new MB?

·
Banned
10,931 Posts
First, use only one fan on your heatsink, the second fan causes terbulance and will make things worst, make sure your thermal paste is applied in a transparent thin even layer on both the processor and heatsink and make sure that you have fans on both the front and back of the computer, the fans in fornt shoud be blowing in while the fans in the back shoud be blowing out, your PSU fans shoud also be clear, if the cables in your computer are a mess then rearrange it so that your cables don't block airflow as much, that shoud help you

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
$100 for air cooling is ridiculous. A water cooling setup, on the other hand, is a good investment at $100. Anyway, it sounds like you put way too much TIM (sounds like you put 2 thermal pads, which will do nothing but insulate). When I said 58c in bios, I meant that's a horrible temp for your CPU to be at while doing nothing.

Pick up this and a tube of Arctic Silver 5. Apply as per Arctic Silver's instructions.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Greywolf Ghost said:
How can I get it down another 10 degree?????

I was also looking at a $100 heatsync and fan unit. The thing looks huge, round and has lots of fins.
I have a Vantec AeroFlow Fan for my AMD Athlon XP. Boy does it stay cool! It has a copper core on the bottom of the heatsink. (And it hardly makes any noise) You might want to look around for one, or if your into water cooling (which I'm not) that is an option to...

Be careful of what fan you buy...some of these big "jet fans" as I like to call them are dangerous and can seriously damage your processor and mobo.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Um, what? I have a Cooler Master Jet 4, and it keeps my CPU nice and VERY cool. How is a fan going to screw up your CPU? :|

I had a Vantec Aeroflow, and it wasn't anything special, but the TMD fan was pretty cool. Especially not good for the P4, as it only comes in contact with a small portion of the IHS. Easily outclassed by the Zalman I posted above, and my current HSF.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
cooliscool said:
Um, what? I have a Cooler Master Jet 4, and it keeps my CPU nice and VERY cool. How is a fan going to screw up your CPU? :|

I had a Vantec Aeroflow, and it wasn't anything special. Easily outclassed by the Zalman I posted above, and my current HSF.
I was reading on newegg that one of those thermaltake beetles or whatever they are called slid off the processor why it was running and cracked the processor dye. This happened to MULTIPLE users. So if you ask me those things can be harmful.

Awesome if your Zalman outmatches it, but my fan was proven highly reccomended and works just fine for me. Plus you are using an Intel and I hear they dont generate as much heat as AMD Athlon XPs.

Also, my Vantec AeroFlow is a TMD.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Like I said, not good for the P4, as it doesn't cover the whole IHS (integrated heat spreader, the metal cap on top). An open-die CPU is a different story, as the copper insert covers it completely. He has a P4, which is why I challenged your recommendation.

I don't have a Zalman, but can recommend it from experience.. I have a Cooler Master Jet 4, which is a good HSF, but don't recommend it solely based on its insane noise-level. I'd much rather have a Zalman CNPSxxxx.

Those Tt Beetles looks stupid anyway, regardless of any failures. Who would want one? Subpar performance and lameass aesthetics for a premium, yay!

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Yeah I can see what you mean. As for Arctic Silver 5, how well does that stuff work anyway?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I can definitely vouch for the Zalman CNPS-7700. It's very quiet, even at full speed, and it keeps my Athlon 64 3700+ very cool. Right now, it's running at 38 C under full load ([email protected], Prime95 is about the same temperature) and idle gets as low as 29 C, both readings at stock speeds/volts. It used to run much hotter (4-9 C on average) until I figured out how to properly apply the paste on an IHS, which took me a few tries :p. The 7700 is VERY large though, so the 7000B may be a better choice for many people.

·
Banned
10,931 Posts
Yeah I can see what you mean. As for Arctic Silver 5, how well does that stuff work anyway?
Unless you actuaily care about getting the temps down to it's absolute minimum it's just a waste of money, the actual performance diffrence between arctic silver5 and Coolermaster's premium compound is insignifigant to justify it's price unless you are using a phase change cooler

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
Forget the The aerocool and the jet4 - they were average at best.

Greywolf if you want a heatsink, look for any or the thermalright range. The sk800 onwards, and the sp97 or even better the si97. paired with any fan they are damn near unbeatable. Just make sure what you are buying is s478 compatible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would like to thank each and every person who is offering advise. I know you have read more then likely over 100 posts of people saying how do I... or what is the best... then you take the time to offer up an opinion and the person never thanks you.

I am not one of them.

This is how I have learned to date, bot in the PC area and in the Mobile arena.

I never ever thought about cooling before as it was never realy an issue as prior to my P4 rig every thing has been P2 and below, so as long as all vents were clear and dust bunny free I never had an over heat.

Thank you to all for your words of wisdom !!! I thank you all greatly for pointing me in the right direction.

Barry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.