24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will upgrading a Amd-k-6 350 too 533 make much of a difference
with a Sis 530 videocard
:confused:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well I'm not real familiar with this topic, but considering that the Sis 530 is not a very fast/powerful card you may find that its fillrate is already maxed out on your 350mhz PC. So a faster PC may not increase your game performance much. If you have the money you should look into the processor and a new video card. For a 533mhz PC I would recommend a GeForce2mx. You can find one for under $90 on www.pricewatch.com Actually you can find one for $45, but I would go with the GF2mx400 w/64Mb RAM.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
the gf2mx 400 is nothing but a piece of **** (sorry about that :) )
It has some worthless ddr ram 64 bits...
Better take a sdr model w/ 128 bit ram..much more performance and lower price :\.

Bye

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hmm, a k6-533 processor upgrade, and a Geforce 2MX card.
sounds reasonable, but a Voodoo 5 will perform bettter. Mind you that a K6-533 is an outdated processor and is marginally faster than your 350Mhz processor.

You might want to consider buying a new motherboard and a faster processor (many of which are cheaper than a k6-533).

btw, they do make SDR (128bit memory bus) versions of the Geforce2MX 400 since it's upto the discression of the OEM as to the type of memory configuration being used, though you won't see a 128bit DDR version unfortunately.

it really makes no difference though, DDR (64bit) vs SDR (128bit) they are still castrated versions of the GTS,Pro and ULTRA.

S

·
0 Posts
Warning, the Voodoo 5 is a discontinued card and is getting harder to find in stores. No new updated drivers are in sight for it either.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
doesn't really need them, unlike nvidia cards, voodoo drivers have always ran out of the box :p

and in auguest, we shall see about no new drivers :p

This is true btw, the voodoo 5's might be hard to find and a little slower, but they are still better the geforce (No switching drivers for different games like a friend of mine has to do constantly)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Well,your friend is not really good,I've never had to switch drivers to play different games.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
no it's not...obviously you have never had a voodoo5 and used it in the real world. I've had the opertunity to set it up side by side on identical systems with a geforce 2 and can fully and confidently say, the speed difference is negligable . and the video quality of the voodoo is vastly, not marginally, better. and that was witht he geforce using the latest drivers avalible.
So I will and always will hold my opinion that the geforce is overrated crap. you pay way too much for low quality graphics, features that are at best mediocre considering the Radeon 2's , and drivers so crappy they have to leak a beta every other week.
Every stopped to think that hey if my drivers are that good why does another set come out a week later? If they were written well to begin with you wouldn't need a new set.
I'm sorry but I find most nVidia fans to be brain washed into believeing they are paying top dollar for a superior card, when in fact that is not the case. Even dating back to the original TNT day's, when they claimed the TNT was faster than a Banshee....
Having had(Still have actually) both cards there claim was utterly ridiculous. Even with only one TMU the banshee at 16 bit far outperformed the tnt at both 16 bit and 32 bit, and the image quality of the banshee was again vastly superior.

My appologies if this appears to be a flame, that is not the intent. It simply irks me that people critisize the Voodoo 5 line based on facts that are , for lack of a better word, uncomfirmed. Considering that nVidia sent tweaked drivers to reviewers for testing purposes, and also sent boards with lower latency ram and clocked higher.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm not out to critize the voodoo5, it performs well on low to mid range systems, but it only scales soo far ~Approx 800Mhz range. Beyond that you're not going to get much more out of it. Geforce cards scales much better beyone this range, but on the same token they perform poorly under 800Mhz.

This person wants to upgrade to a 533 k6-2, that's fine, but he should stick to a video card designed for that range. Like the k6's, voodoo5's are quickly becomming like dinosaurs.

Personally, I don't see the point of owning a voodoo5 anymore. The average introductary CPU spec is now around the 800Mhz mark and is quickly rising. There are much better and faster cards on the market suited for these processors, and the voodoo5 isn't one of them.

besides, the company is dead so there will nolger be any more drivers. (wait till August? ha, believe me, when a company goes down and/or stops producing a video card. That's the end. I've been down that road before with several video cards over the years, and it's not pretty. If you want to talk about getting screw over? Try owning a product from STB who merged with 3Dfx in late 1998. That's getting screwed over!)

btw, I don't know how fast your system is, but mine is well over 800, and I can telll you that my Geforce 2's performs excellent...though I wouldn't mind owing a Kyro II just to try something new. But I'm going stay clear away from ATI cards,fast but not as reliable as geforce IMO.

Like it or not, Nvidia cards are the standard now.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
That is actually incorrect. It's a common myth that a voodoo 5 scales out around 800mhz. all i can say is try one in a 1.2 or higher athelon or Pentium. As I said in my previous post, this is not meant to be a flame, just trying to kill some of the Wrong, misconceptions and myths floating around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
no it's not...obviously you have never had a voodoo5 and used it in the real world. I've had the opertunity to set it up side by side on identical systems with a geforce 2 and can fully and confidently say, the speed difference is negligable . and the video quality of the voodoo is vastly, not marginally, better. and that was witht he geforce using the latest drivers avalible.
So I will and always will hold my opinion that the geforce is overrated crap. you pay way too much for low quality graphics, features that are at best mediocre considering the Radeon 2's , and drivers so crappy they have to leak a beta every other week.
Every stopped to think that hey if my drivers are that good why does another set come out a week later? If they were written well to begin with you wouldn't need a new set.
I'm sorry but I find most nVidia fans to be brain washed into believeing they are paying top dollar for a superior card, when in fact that is not the case. Even dating back to the original TNT day's, when they claimed the TNT was faster than a Banshee....
Having had(Still have actually) both cards there claim was utterly ridiculous. Even with only one TMU the banshee at 16 bit far outperformed the tnt at both 16 bit and 32 bit, and the image quality of the banshee was again vastly superior.

My appologies if this appears to be a flame, that is not the intent. It simply irks me that people critisize the Voodoo 5 line based on facts that are , for lack of a better word, uncomfirmed. Considering that nVidia sent tweaked drivers to reviewers for testing purposes, and also sent boards with lower latency ram and clocked higher.
Wrong!
Actually, I do have a Voodoo5 5500 AGP. I tossed it on my old junk pile, and I've never seen it again. Nor do I want to. Wanna know the reason?
I got a GeForce2 Ultra, and its performance is much better (Unless you're using Glide, but Glide sucks anyway. It has outlived its usefulness). And the GeForce also has a decent OpenGL support.
But, since I am not a nVidiot rabid fanboy, I have to agree that the image quality of the Voodoo is unrivaled. But the Voodoo5 5500 couldn't handle my totally insane resolutions (I can't play anything below 1280x1024x32) as well as the GeForce, so it had to go.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
hey if you happen to come across it again, send it to me and i'll pay the shipping :D
heck i'll even buy you a lunch, if you ever come to Vancouver!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Doh I was going to make the same offer as Takwu. Oh well.
/Adair grumbles something about crappy TNT2 and drivers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
By the way how much are u planning on selling that vodoo 5 . I'm intrested in buying the card but couldnt find it .So if ure willing to sell it I'll buy it and I'll pay for the delivery as well. thanks......

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If he doesn't find it or want to sell it then you can always look at www.pricewatch.com for a voodoo 5.
Just look at the main page and find "video cards" under the multimedia column. They start around $100 +shipping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts