Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CPU which is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ stock speed = 3.1 GHz is fast enough for gameplay (30-80fps) but dolphin run both cores at 100% which sets the CPU temperature to 60C-63C! The max temperature my CPU supports according to AMD is up to 65C! Water cooling is too expensive and disabling dual core function only eliminates about 5C-10C which is still too hot. I am wondering how anyone plays games without risking damage to their CPU? For those that have the Intel C2D CPU how hot does it get?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a stock heatsink and everything is installed properly also I dont want to try another heatsink since it would void AMD's warranty and the horror stories of bad compatibility.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't heard any horror stories. I mean, nothing is guaranteed, but don't worry so much. Stock coolers are always on the bottom as far as efficiency. Get a popular HSF that works better. Also, just don't worry about the heat. Or the warranty. In a few years, the value of the cpu will be down to almost nothing. Sad, but that's how it is for all PC parts.

I am using the stock HSF for my chip(dumb intel), and it does run fairly hot. Don't worry. It's not just these niche emulators that stress your cpu. Heavy multimedia work of all kinds do the same, and a lot of people do those.

·
Rpcs3 user :D
780 Posts
You should decrease your overclocking, it's too much. Mine gets 58° when the Cpu is using 100% with Dolphin or Pcsx2 but it can reach 67° with Orthos in 2 hours and so on.

·
Gaming Sensei
211 Posts
You should decrease your overclocking, it's too much. Mine gets 58° when the Cpu is using 100% with Dolphin or Pcsx2 but it can reach 67° with Orthos in 2 hours and so on.
The AthlonX2-6000 runs *stock* at 3Ghz. His proc isn't OCed, bud.

As for the cooling itself, I'm with everyone else; definitely get an aftermarket cooler. They range from dirt-cheap to pretty-expensive -- and are infinitely more efficient than the stock cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My CPU which is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ stock speed = 3.1 GHz is fast enough for gameplay (30-80fps) but dolphin run both cores at 100% which sets the CPU temperature to 60C-63C! The max temperature my CPU supports according to AMD is up to 65C! Water cooling is too expensive and disabling dual core function only eliminates about 5C-10C which is still too hot. I am wondering how anyone plays games without risking damage to their CPU? For those that have the Intel C2D CPU how hot does it get?
The max temperature of ur cpu is 63ºc im checked it.Better buy an intel E8400 this one will run much more faster then no problem of temperatures.Check Here

·
Gaming Sensei
211 Posts
He said "stock" so I don't think he's OCed at all >_>

·
Registered
379 Posts
What's the problem with these 60°C ? ?

it's not that hot, i've seen stock cooled Core 2 duo (65nm) running way hotter than this under full load (~70°C, security throttle triggers around 80°C)
Even if it sounds high, your processor can't be damaged by *only* 60°C

if you really want to decrease the temperature, you can buy one of those 12cm HSF, i'm using a scythe infinity, and my CPU is around 45°C using Dolphin (it maxes around 55°C using TAT tho, CPU killer x) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's the problem with these 60°C ? ?

it's not that hot, i've seen stock cooled Core 2 duo (65nm) running way hotter than this under full load (~70°C, security throttle triggers around 80°C)
Even if it sounds high, your processor can't be damaged by *only* 60°C

if you really want to decrease the temperature, you can buy one of those 12cm HSF, i'm using a scythe infinity, and my CPU is around 45°C using Dolphin (it maxes around 55°C using TAT tho, CPU killer x) )
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Model 6000+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADX6000IAA6CZ
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADX6000CZBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping F3
Frequency 3000Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.35-1.40V
Max Temp 55-63°C
Thermal Power 125W
L1 Cache 128KB x2
L2 Cache 1MB x2
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket AM2

This is not the SAME as a Intel Core normal Max temps of Intel Core is 70~75°C

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
OC or not, 100Mhz+ will not do anything in terms of temperature, unless he raise the Vcore.

60C should be not a problem if the system didn't hang or lag.

But It's always better if you can keep your CPU at lower temps, an easy (and cheap) way to low the temp 3-4C is using a better thermal grease, you'll be using your same stock cooler but the heat transfer will be better....you can try using Arctic Silver 5 (there are more new and better, but I'm currently using it, and I'm very happy with the performance).

Also you can try a Cooler Master Hyper TX2 cooler, It's universal. I tried it (using a 5200+ Ocked) and the performance over the stock is VERY big.....you'll be pleased.

Or, like sl1nk3 says you can use a "tube" or a fan (if your side panel has the hole) to make a link between the CPU, then the air that the cooler will suck will be from the outside of the case....cheap way over than changing the cooler.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All who think the original poster is overclocking, ARE ALL WRONG.

He stated specifically that it's running at stock speeds. Also, AMD lists the 89W 6000+ as 3.1GHz! See Model Number Comparisons

Internet retailers like Newegg list them as 3.1GHz as well:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

HE IS NOT OVERCLOCKING. Please stop speaking with such confidence.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a i7 Extream and it idels at 30c when pc is sitting there with msn on.
Just Heat Sink
Thermal Paste
No Dust
CPU In pins right

Could just be the cpu it's self.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a i7 Extream and it idels at 30c when pc is sitting there with msn on.
Just Heat Sink
Thermal Paste
No Dust
CPU In pins right

Could just be the cpu it's self.
ur pc is fake?
I dont even think i7 extrem get 30ºc with windows msn.Can get on air 4ghz with no problems post screns of ur pc emulating.For trusth if ur pc is real.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts