Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know this is not a hardware forum, but I am thinking of upgrading my [email protected] with an Athlon 1400... the question is:

DO you have any probs with AMD cpus? Had eny emus not running???

All answers will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Problems?
Nah, there are lots of people using emus on Athlons. You'll get a nice performance increase with a processor like that.:D

BTW there is a hardware forum here :eyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is no problem at all using AMD athlon or Duron with emus. The eventual problems are not processor related, but mostly chipset ( VIA doesn't make the most reliable chipsets ) related.
I have a Duron 800 CPU, a Epox 8KTA2 mobo with the VIA KT133 chipset.
There is a bug in the VIA southbridge chip and for months VIA ignored the problem ( UDMA not worhing on the 2nd IDE interface ) but now my system is as stable as a rock after installing the new version of VIA 4in1 drivers and flashing the nobo BIOS to the latest revision.
Now, maybe VIA improved its reliability with the recent DDRAM chipset but other companies are issuing chipset for the Athlon CPU: Nvidia SIS AMD among others.
Please be sure to have a RELIABLE high quality high output ( 300 watts ) power supply ( Antec for instance )
And Adair is right, with such an upgrade, EPSXE will really fly, maybe you'll be obliged to LIMIT the framerate ( the emu will run too fast ) if of course the bottleneck is not shifted to your graphic card ( you must match the graphic board to the processor ) or it's like having a big powerful engine connected to a weak and fragile transmission .
So, all in all AMD Duron or athlons are the best bang for the buck right now when buying a processor.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
AMDs are just fine, infact I herd someone on TechTV (a crazy Tech chanell, in-case you don't have it ;) ) complaining about how the P4 1.7ghz wasn't much better then an AMD Tbird 1.333.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Yeah,my Tbird 1.33 smokes a 2GHz P4 in some parts:)

S

·
0 Posts
Just had to get in on this too. I'm using an Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz and I have had no problems w/it at all. All my emus run at full speed or faster and ePSXe has no slowdowns at all. I would definately reccommend the Athlon T-Bird or Duron processors to anyone.
BTW, I'll let this topic stay here (instead of moving it to hardware) since it is, indirectly, about ePSXe and how well it works w/Athlons.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ya the P4's barly manage one instruction per clock cycle, where as the P3's do almost 3 instructions per clock cycle, this esentialy makes a P4 1.7Gig equivelent to a P3 933Mhz. In short, P4 suck serious a$$. You can either wait for the New P3 Tualtain (not spelt right) with is "supposed" to have the same structure as the origanal P3 exept with clock speads going up to 2Gig. But IMHO, might as well just go with the AMD Athlon 1.6 Gig (think thats been released), the new VIA KT266 is supposed to be pretty good, and that in addition to a little DDR Ram, will get you a kick but machine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i'm thinking of getting a new mobo / processor
is there a mobo for p3 that support ddr ram?
if not i'm going to buy a new processor
after reading this thread,i'm thinking of getting a tbird if i'm going to get a new processor
but isn't tbird processor have problems with heat(my friend says that) cos i usually left my system on for 24/7
with my current system ,i have no problem with it
plus could you guys reccomend one good mobo for tbird
thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would recomend the ASUS line of motherboards, ive found them to be exeptionaly stabile (most of the time, that cuc2000 was a dud, and realy intells fault.) If your looking to staying with your Intell the CUV266 would be a good choice, it supports DDR ram and Intel CPU's. If your lookin to go over to the AMD the A7M266 is a good choice. The specs for these boards can be found at www.asus.com. AMD's do produce more heat and use up more power, if you go with an AMD be shure to get a !HIGH! quality 300W power supley or a 400W/450W/500W Power Suply(400W recomended). And be shure to have EXELENT cooling in your chasy, a full tower is good for this, gives you more room to put fans and more free air space. 6 months ago i would have recomended you stay away from AMD, but Intel's quality is going down and AMD's is going up, so now there about even. So 6 for one and a Half Dozen the other. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
the new polomino core from AMD is suppose to have reduced the heat from tbirds by 30 percent... Its suppose to run pretty cool now(still hotter than Pentiums though)... If I was goin to upgrade, I would definately get an athlon 4 which is using the new polomino core or the newer tbirds 761 chipsets which also uses the polomino core... I have a tbird gig and it does make some serious heat... My old cpu fan couldn't hack it with this cpu... 47 c on idle and 55 c on stressed... no good.. then I got myself a new globalwin cpu copper base with a huge ass fan and some artic silver... My cpu never goes above 45 now... even when stressed to the max.... Stays 35 on idle... Plus athlons are so much more cheaper than P3s or P4s... Check the prices of the cpus at www.anandtech.com All my games run at full speed on epsxe with effects turned to the max on lewpys glide pluggin.... I got a voodoo 5 5500 agp..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow! thanx people...
I am definetely going to get me that 1400beast... :)))
Just 4 the record: I have a CL GeForce2 GTS in my [email protected] and 512MB of ram.. ePSXe without frame limitation runs at 115FPS...
but the maschine is old for new pc games... GTS alone cannot cope with them..

I am thinking of getting the ASUS A7V133 board...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think that people have been having problems with the VIA chipset, but it may be fixed now with the latest 4in1 driver.

Admiral Kirk recommended the A7M266.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Athlons run a little hot...but with a good heatsink and fan heat it isn't a factor. Besides they are rated for 95 degrees Celceus. My 1.2 runs 42-48C loaded or unloaded. I have a quite fan on it....I imagine if I put a noisy Delta fan it will go down to the mid 30's. But I don't overclock so 45C is fine. They say you don't want to go over 60C. but the chip is rated for 95C.

So if your only turn off is the temperature......It's worth it, Athlons are a lot cheaper, and a lot faster.

I believe the Epox8KHA is the DDR board of choice, right now. The guy who does the reviews on the second link is pretty reliable.

http://www.amdzone.com/
http://www.socketa.com/reviews/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just though I'd put in my 2 cents . No problems with my AMD-K6 266! With it and my VooDoo 3 2000 I can run Wild Arms 2 at 50 FPS avg. and Star Ocean 2 at 45 :). Lets hear it for antique processors!
PS I'm gonna upgrade (SOON!) to a Asus A7V133 with a Duron 800 Lets see what kinda performance boost I'll get then :)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
You will see an improvement but it also will depend on your graphics card.... I use to have an amd k6-2 533 with a voodoo 3 3000 pci.. Now I got an amd tbird 1000 with a voodoo 5 5500... Actually when I first bought my tbird 1000, I still had my voodoo 3... Gave me a good performance boost just by upgrading my cpu.. The voodoo 3 was doin 50-60 fps plus on all games in epsxe.. It use to run about 30 to 55 fps on my old k6-2 533..With my voodoo 3 and the k6, FF9 battles ran 50-60 fps but in the towns and cities, it ran at a crappy 15-45 fps.... Now with my voodoo 5 and tb 1000, everything runs at 60++... You gotta love the Floating Point abilities of the athlons.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts