Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a LAN today, and after I had put things together and I pressed the power button, I sat down, waiting for the BIOS to appear on the screen. Nothing happened, my monitor kept "sleeping". I then heard some sparkling from the PC, and I looked over on it. It was pumping out thick, black smoke :???:, I quickly turned off and tried to find out where the smoke came from. My first guess was that one of my +12V power cables had short-circuited. I took out all of them (except the one for the GFX), and tried once more.
Again the sparkling sound, and again a lot of black smoke coming from the CPU.
I turned off again and took off the CPU fan, then I saw that my CPU had a pretty deep burn mark. It seemed like something had short-circuited in the core, and it had burned right through the whole CPU and some way into my motherboard, and it left a ugly mark in my CPU fan.

I guess that was the end of that stuff ^^.
Now I'm wondering whether I should get another ABIT NF7 motherboard and another 2500+ (I was really statisfied with the other one, 2.5GHz:D), or if I should get a 2800+/3000+ and be somewhat more careful with OC'ing.
I guess I could save up for a P4 as well, I've always wanted one, but they're way more expensive... I just don't have the money for that.
Back to the question, 2500+ and OC again, or 3000+ and keep it there?

·
Registered
669 Posts
well, sh1t happens xD I think you should save up for a P4, if you think you can live with your current system for a while.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
heh, i say go back and do the same thing all over again. good, cheap performance. a 3000+ is pretty expensive, you can get yourself the 2500+ and great cooling for it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
In the meantime, overclock the hell outta that Celly. You can easily get above 3GHz with it, and other than no bragging rights, it won't perform bad at all.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Damn, I would buy some cheapo hardware to tide you over and save for an athlon 64 + nforce4. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I still have my l33t CPU cooler... I just have to wash off some melted CPU :D

cooliscool said:
In the meantime, overclock the hell outta that Celly. You can easily get above 3GHz with it, and other than no bragging rights, it won't perform bad at all.
I can't go very far with this crappy motherboard, either 100 or 133 FSB, and no AGP/PCI lock >_< It is pretty slow even at 2.8GHz. 128kB L2 cache is definately not enough. This motherboard wants my RAM to run at 266MHz, even though they're PC3200 400MHz sticks. I found out it supports only PC1600 and PC2100 >_<
So meh, gonna try 3.2GHz soon :D (high multiplier)

EDIT: I reached 3.13GHz, stable max (1.6vcore). This motherboard really sucks, I have only 130MHz FSB right now -_-
60c is max temp under full load.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
WEXP said:
I still have my l33t CPU cooler... I just have to wash off some melted CPU :D

I can't go very far with this crappy motherboard, either 100 or 133 FSB, and no AGP/PCI lock >_< It is pretty slow even at 2.8GHz. 128kB L2 cache is definately not enough. This motherboard wants my RAM to run at 266MHz, even though they're PC3200 400MHz sticks. I found out it supports only PC1600 and PC2100 >_<
So meh, gonna try 3.2GHz soon :D (high multiplier)

EDIT: I reached 3.13GHz, stable max (1.6vcore). This motherboard really sucks, I have only 130MHz FSB right now -_-
60c is max temp under full load.
That's a limitation of Intel chipsets. If the default FSB is 400, DDR speed of 266MHz is used regardless. Of course overclocking helps remedy that. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cooliscool said:
That's a limitation of Intel chipsets. If the default FSB is 400, DDR speed of 266MHz is used regardless. Of course overclocking helps remedy that. ;)
Not at all, now the motherboard decided that maximum RAM frequenzy is at 133MHz... The RAM is slower than ever, SDRAM speed -_-'

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
133x2 = 266.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SnakeBite fixed the motherboard, it works again :bow:

I managed to take some pictures of the motherboard and the CPU.

·
Nobody Knows Him
526 Posts
You and your OC :p

Really bad though. I'm sorry about that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I guess Artic Silver 5 is silver, yes.

Edit: Had some fun with it this weekend, here is the results... Perfect for avatar ^^

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wait until I get the video clips we made... :evil:
I'll post them, and you will see CPU torture ^^ Burning it, smashing, stomping, bending, cutting... :D (With subtitles :))

1 - 20 of 35 Posts