Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I like the idea. you're basicly eliminating the publisher fees .. as valve is both the publisher and developer (well, not THIS time around, with VUG being an ass, but the idea of steam is the same).

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Steam isn't a bad idea, but it could be fine if they pressed the DVD for steam purchasers,
or if it was a compressed DVD/CD ISO

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Reich, i like the idea of getting the entire valve catalog (including CZ) and the old HL1 with mods (new cdkey is always fun) for just 10$ more ..

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Ill get bronze. I just wanna play HL-2.
CS is done for me....

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
yeah but what about all those cool extras you get with the gold version??

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Reichfuher said:
Problem is that you never know when hl-2 is going to be released. Sure you get CS:S right now, but what if HL2 is delayed 6 months like previous rumors? I will be purchasing the normal 6cds and I will hold out on dod/hl1:s for a while since you have no idea what they will be like!

I guess dont count your chickens before they hatch.
Oh my dear, what has the world come to. I actually agree with Reich on something regarding HL2...shoot me now.

Pre-Loading is kind of pointless. Sure it makes you feel good because hey, you got actual HL2 files on your pc, but the only benefit it gives you is saving 20 minutes of driving to an electronics store. And all it does is make you more anxious to get the game and if the game takes longer than expected to be released (if thats even any more possible) then you will be twice as pissed because you already have majority of the game but can't play it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It saves stress on the steam servers (remember, you need to have steam on your computer to play the game, EVEN THE STORE VERSION).
If steam is overloaded, you cant play in case there's the slightest update.

Anyway, just bought HL2 silver, gonna enjoy cs:s abit and post some screenshots :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
ChaosBlade said:
It saves stress on the steam servers (remember, you need to have steam on your computer to play the game, EVEN THE STORE VERSION).
If steam is overloaded, you cant play in case there's the slightest update.
Good Point, but with the store version you wouldn't be putting stress on the steam servers, by downloading it you would be -_-.
Anyway, just bought HL2 silver, gonna enjoy cs:s abit and post some screenshots :
Because we haven't seen enough of those:???::???::???:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
The source engine runs well on a GF2 MX?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
sweet i cant wait to see CS:S screenshots, these are the awesome levels we have been playing for the last 6 years only with BETTER GRAPHICS!

the more i think about it, the more i want just the basic HL2 package, the old "source" versions just seem more pointless everytime i think about it. they may be releasing these now, but who the hell knows when HL2 will come out? this seems like a distraction to me, to get you playing the Source games for a month or few months so they push back HL2 some more...

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
hushypushy said:
sweet i cant wait to see CS:S screenshots, these are the awesome levels we have been playing for the last 6 years only with BETTER GRAPHICS!
Exactly what i've been resisting the urge to say :p. People tend to get pissed off at me when i say something, bout time someone agreed with me :p

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
it's ok nightwolf, i stand by ya ;)

by now, i'm seriously tired of CS. it doesnt really get me going anymore, and i dont see how a new engine with fancy-pants graphics is going to get me back into it. and i dont see how screenshots can be exciting, the levels are quite repetitive. of course, i'd love for someone to prove me wrong and show me an exciting CS:S screenshot :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Yeah, I agree with N1ghtw0lf on this one aswell (omfg whats happening to us! oO)

CS:S Was fun for about two days, and enough to drool over to fill out HL2 needs but now its just too little to get excited over. I look forward to HL2 more than anything.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
i never even played CS:S so i shouldnt talk, but still. i want HL2 just because it's --finally-- a NEW GAME!!!

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
Do they send you a physical copy of the game after it's released? Or you have to stick with the Steam DLed one? I'd like to go with silver or gold, but I want it on a DVD :p
no, you don't get any physical copies. But you could always just burn it to dvd. that's what i'm going to do, at least. Sure, you don't get a paper manual or box, but who needs those? And hey, gold guys, you're going to get a box anyways, so be happy :p. You're also going to get the strategy guide, which is better than the manual. You also get all those freebies as soon as they ship it out, not a few months from now whenever HL2 comes out.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Ok

>> The source engine runs well on a GF2 MX?
Runs very slow/ugly on MX cards, HL2 uses PS2.0, get a Radeon 9600/9800 or better... or a GF6x00

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You must be saying that outta thought, because CS:S runs relativly well on my Gf2mx 64mb. Yes, only 800x600 medium, but it runs quite well (50FPS avg. on the video stress test)..

21 - 40 of 189 Posts