Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could it be possible to run VGS on WindowsXP professional?
I need advice on how to do this.
Please help me. :~(
Thank you very much ^___^

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you can use connectix virtual pc for windows..
but i believe its retail software now so if you want to try it youd hafta buy it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hmm..............
I heard winXP have competible win9x and 2000 mode.
But I don't know how it work.
Since I do not own XP.I just know there are exist.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i know win2ksp2 has an option where you can run the program with a win95 compatability layer but im not sure if they did that in xp. you can check by looking at the properties of your vgs shortcut.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ^_^ but still have another problem.

I've tried to adjust VGS shortcut in XP(as you said) and I found an option to make certain programs work like they did in previous version of windows (95,98,me,....)!! And I can run VGS on XP!!!
But...... VGS display this message "CVGS requires a Pentium II-class or later to run". My PC is Pentium4 1.5 GHz, you know.
Could anyone gice me an advice about this please. :~(
and Thank you very much for your information. ^__^

·
Registered
251 Posts
lgmcben : i've tried that method...vgs will run and crash afterward
m$ itself has said that compatibility mode is not for program that has been designated not to run in that os

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
aldo has a patch that could make VGS run on a P4...somewhat. it's iffy, but worth a try.

www.aldostools.com

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Re: Thank you ^_^ but still have another problem.

My friend tried the compatibility option in Windows 2000 but VGS still refused to run. He has a celeron so the processor isn't the problem. In short, I don't think there's any way to make the emulator work in NT. Maybe someday someone will make a patch that'll make it work.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Re: Re: Thank you ^_^ but still have another problem.

You can't make VGS work in ANY NT-Based OS (including WinXP), and it's not likely you'll ever be able to. VGS needs to access the CD-ROM hardware directly, and the NT Kernel simply does not allow this.

I don't know about Connectix Virtual PC, but you can get VGS to work in VMWare (a similiar program). It's a little tricky (you'll need to use Daemon Tools instead of a real CD-ROM), and very slow, but it runs.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking at the VMWare homepage and it seems like you have to install another OS anyway, so if you're going to do that, you mind as well just dual boot win2k with something else.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by DarkeTalon
I was looking at the VMWare homepage and it seems like you have to install another OS anyway, so if you're going to do that, you mind as well just dual boot win2k with something else.
A much better solution I'd say. :)

I only meant to tell that the only way to get VGS working under Win2000/XP is (ironically) with an emulator. :)

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
104 Posts
how do you activate the compatibility option in Windows 2000? I have SP2 installed but i didn't found such a option. Could please tell me where i can find it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you right click on a shortcut and choose properties, there will be a tab called compatibilty, and you can make your change there. As far as I know this tab is only present for shortcuts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah found that option by myself today...after searching for 1 hour the knowledge database from microsoft...but i still doesn't work. it looks like the option doesn't do anything in win2k.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts