Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it amusing to say that people who take pictures of games they buy are committing copyright infringement, particularly on a website that promotes information about a game as this site has a thread dedicated to people taking pictures of their games and posting them on this website.

Imagine if this site, Gamestop and every gaming website, including EBAY were prosecuted for copyright violation for taking pictures of video games, talk about reverse class action lawsuit.

Also imagine gamers not being able to see screenshots, previews, etc of games they are thinking of buying, it would be like the NFL going to every businesses water cooler on a Monday after the big game and throwing every person who discussed the big game last night into jail for "describing" the previous night's game!

Or the gaming companies suing blockbuster for renting console games.

Yeah that would help the industry...

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
blockbuster has lending rights to do so

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blockbuster has lending rights to do so
But does that extend to every video store in the US, or will we see every non Blockbuster video store raided by the FBI? I used Blockbuster as an example but there are hundreds if not thousands of video stores in the US?

oO

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
I would have to believe that Blockbuster has licenses with movie and gaming firms to allow them to lease out games and movies.

Otherwise they would've been put out of business back in the days of NES.

besides... it gets games known, and people are more likely to buy a game after having borrowed it.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Microsoft still lists it as "Illegal" to rent their games.
And does every video store have the same deal as blockbuster has with the companies?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
what microsoft says on the back of a box, and what is allowed is up for interpretation. especially where differing laws are concerned.

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
I think if the media conglomerates took it that far, you would drastically see a decrease in sales of said media. That is such dangerous territory that even the media companies aren't foolish enough to set foot or tread in.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Uh, what?

I am free to make a picture of anything that is public anyway. This is why Google streets can't be forbidden here: They make pictures of something anyone could see anyway. Making screenshots would be my own right to make images of something I own, to use the software in the way that I please because I own it. Sue me.

They'll just be shooting themselves in the foot, all these people do is promoting their stuff for free. The best advertisment is still word of mouth. Some money hungry people seem to forget this...

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An interesting point is that with PC licenses you do NOT even have the right as a license holder anymore. You cannot give away, trade, sell, or donate many PC games. You are limited to the number of times you may install a game, some MMO games have been discontinued and made worthless, other games have similar draconian measures allowing you to play them only as long as the online registration exists.

Consumers are losing rights.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
An interesting point is that with PC licenses you do NOT even have the right as a license holder anymore. You cannot give away, trade, sell, or donate many PC games. You are limited to the number of times you may install a game, some MMO games have been discontinued and made worthless, other games have similar draconian measures allowing you to play them only as long as the online registration exists.

Consumers are losing rights.
And that is exactly why we are taking all we can get within the gray areas of ownership. Licenses for things such as online games indeed are tricky, and especially when systems like Steam play part in it.

If you have purchased just a license, then indeed you're screwed, but you were informed of this in advance. That's why I don't make use of download services and always purchase my stuff in real stores and have hardcopies with legal codes, if possible. So in case someone tries to screw me over I still have the original that I can use and alter in any way I like. Such as removing the limitations they put on my software.

Usually most single player games you can still transfer just fine though, since the serial can simply be given away as well. It's the multiplayer games that suffer the most from this personalization of the games.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Its 99 frickin bucks dude,! 99!

i can buy a video card to run the frickin game for that!!

·
band
5,270 Posts
2. Every geeky teenage girl and their mother likes The Sims.
I don't have much to contribute to this thread except wonder aloud why girls and females in general love to play the Sims.

EDIT: Actually I do; I believe for most games (usually those without online versus, although a lot of those with those features are still in this category) purchased from Playstation Network, you can download and play them on up to 5 different PS3s.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And that is exactly why we are taking all we can get within the gray areas of ownership. Licenses for things such as online games indeed are tricky, and especially when systems like Steam play part in it.

If you have purchased just a license, then indeed you're screwed, but you were informed of this in advance. That's why I don't make use of download services and always purchase my stuff in real stores and have hardcopies with legal codes, if possible. So in case someone tries to screw me over I still have the original that I can use and alter in any way I like. Such as removing the limitations they put on my software.

Usually most single player games you can still transfer just fine though, since the serial can simply be given away as well. It's the multiplayer games that suffer the most from this personalization of the games.
Even *many* hardcopy games use this format, that you cannot transfer the game to others, it isn't limited to Steam, and according to the DCMA you are not legally allowed to modify games you've purchased to play them on your PC.

:dead:

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
That would be all fine, if we lived in a world where you didn't have to modify games for them to work properly in the first place.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would be all fine, if we lived in a world where you didn't have to modify games for them to work properly in the first place.
I wasn't talking about morality or right and wrong but simply the law... :(

And I would think you should know what I think of the law regarding that issue. :evil:

But we have a "don't ask and don't tell policy on this forum, so let's go back to pretending we all follow the law to the letter! :p :thumb:

'K I know NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!

Hopefully Sgt. Schultz wasn't tried for war crimes...

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Even *many* hardcopy games use this format, that you cannot transfer the game to others, it isn't limited to Steam, and according to the DCMA you are not legally allowed to modify games you've purchased to play them on your PC.

:dead:
And thankfully the DMCA is something in the US only, a law not valid here. I'm sorry for you guys though. Here we still have the rule that you're not allowed to circumvent copy protection though, provided that this copy protection provides "enough" protection. (Quoting literally from Dutch law, freely translated by yours truly) Highly subjective of course, and this is also why a simple CSS that any random program can crack is not seen as such. Same for me installing a different executable in order to defeat it. Any n00b can do it, thus making it legal :heh:

As long as the license isn't tied to a personal account, I see no reason why it wouldn't be transferrable. The biggest problem to me would be the amount of trust I would have to put in a potential seller. But then again, if you don't want to pay the full price for it, don't wait for a second handed copy, but just get a budget bin version half a year later. PC gamers don't have to wait for a Platinum release.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
I don't have much to contribute to this thread except wonder aloud why girls and females in general love to play the Sims.

EDIT: Actually I do; I believe for most games (usually those without online versus, although a lot of those with those features are still in this category) purchased from Playstation Network, you can download and play them on up to 5 different PS3s.
I unfortuantely have a horror story to tell you guys about this subject.

I bought Sims2 for my sister for her birthday last year, and she has become a full blown addict. She spends +25 hours a week playing that game, has every single expansion and content pack and occasionally neglects university and other stuff just to play the game.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.