3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to buy a desktop which has these requirements,
intel Pentium Dual CPU E5400 @2.7GHZ 3.20 ghz,
4GB RAM
1TB hardrive
ATI 512MB 4850
windows XP Pro SP3 and vista ultimate

Is it good enough to play ps2 game without lag, i mean smooth screen?
otherwise please let me know by reply this question
thanx

· Registered
15 Posts
yeah that should be great
im getting about 70-80% speed with my crappy 2.2 ghz core 2 duo n 9300 128mb gfx
pcsx2 is more cpu dependent
so it might help to overclock ur processor
try out FF 10, its not very graphically intensive compared to other games

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Beware the potentially possible performance hit when pairing a Radeon HD 4xx0 GPU with a dual core CPU, but otherwise, it's fine, and from I've read, speed hacks seem to do near miracles for hardware that's got potential but lacks the actual speed otherwise needed (ala, Core 2 CPUs in the lower GHz range, and Althlon X2s). If it works for you, it should be good to go. Overclock it and/or play with speed hacks and it should do decently. Do note that it does depend from game to game though, and the emulator itself is far from perfect. Some games may have errors, slowness, or not work at all, but this is standard disclaimer fare for emulation in general.

· Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
I tried using my HD4850 and have zero slowdown problems, the issue with the HD4000 series should be fixed or It appears with some games that I still don't try.

Tales of the Abyss run almost full speed all the time with my rig (see sign).

Your rig is very capable tu run many games at playable or full speed.

6,584 Posts
I never said one with a Radeon HD4xx0 couldn't run full speed. You're using a 3.8GHz CPU. The speed loss may be unnoticeable since it's fast enough to go beyond full speed (especially if you use speed hacks), but that itself doesn't mean it isn't happening.

If you have an nVidia GPU, try comparing them (with settings that won't be GPU bound). Uncap the frame rate. If it goes faster with the nVidia GPU, then the ATi cards are stealing some CPU power, which, as of this point, has been shown to happen, yet claimed (with no showing) to have been fixed.

· Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
I never said one with a Radeon HD4xx0 couldn't run full speed. You're using a 3.8GHz CPU. The speed loss may be unnoticeable since it's fast enough to go beyond full speed (especially if you use speed hacks), but that itself doesn't mean it isn't happening.

If you have an nVidia GPU, try comparing them (with settings that won't be GPU bound). Uncap the frame rate. If it goes faster with the nVidia GPU, then the ATi cards are stealing some CPU power, which, as of this point, has been shown to happen, yet claimed (with no showing) to have been fixed.
I was a little concern when I ordered this 4850 'cause I play PCSX2/Dolphin from time to time.

Glad to see It didn't affect the performance, maybe as you said the issue is still there, but I don't care while I can play at full speed.

a shame that I don't have any Nvidia card tto test if the issue is already solved.....hope someone can make a benchie about this.

6,584 Posts
Well, you and I have somewhat similar systems. We could both set our CPU to the same speed (multiplier and FSB), and set the RAM the same, and try to use the same operating system, same PCSX2 version, same plug-ins and configuration (that would be CPU bound, so low graphics settings), and the same game (and same spot within the game), and see what comes of it, perhaps FRAPS it even, as that'd leave the GPU as the only big difference, and we could count an error margin of 2%-3%. I've been interested in if this still remains too. If mine was consistently faster by at least 10% or more, the issue would obviously still remain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.