Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok. so im playing Pokemon Silver version & i catch a machop. i realize, i really want a Machamp(and actually all of the other trade evolution pokemon). by this time im already in golderod city with 6 level 29 pokemon. im using a Visual Boy Advance and i save it using a save state. so now i level up my machop to 28 where it evolves & try and trade using the VBALink method. as you may already know, it doesn't work. i google a little and come to the conclusion that i need the TGB or BGB emulator. i get those two and try to open my save state. it doesnt work. i figure the problem being is that when i save a state on the VBA it saves as a .sgm file. the BGB and TGB saves as a .sn1 file. is there any way i can convert these game saves? or simply trade the pokemon i wish to have on the TGB then somehow have them on the visualboyadvance game save?

in other words. im trying to load my place in the game to the the TGB emulator, trade machop to machamp, then load that back to the VBA emulator.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
what makes you think save states are compatible between emulators?

a little forethought goes along way.

Save normally, and import the battery (sav) file.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
TGB has an import battery item in the file menu doesn't it?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
in that case configure tgb dual to locate the battery files (*.sav)
they usually default to the rom folder.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
well aren't you in a fix, coz neither do i.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
it was sarcasm really, i've asked someone else to assist you, i don't hav the patience to teach a complete newbie right now.

·
ಠ_ಠ
2,598 Posts
The Battery (folder) that Squall is talking about is the folder that holds all your in-game .sav files. If you didn't set the directory path for where your save goes, then all your save will be located inside the same folder as where your game is.

To set the directory path for where your .sav files will go, go to Options>Directory. From there, you will see 2 directory paths (one for save files, and the other is for your recorded movies files). Click on the [...] next to the directory path for Save and change the directory to your VBA Battery folder.

It isn't that hard to figure out by yourself nor is it that hard to explain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I already have the necessary .sav file in the TGB folder, it just won't recognize the save. When I go to File>Load State I see any saves I have made on TGB but not the save from the .sav file in the same folder. Changing the .sav file to .sv0 or .sv1 allows the save to appear in File>Load State but when I attempt to load it the game crashes. Should I change the .sav to another extension?

·
ಠ_ಠ
2,598 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I already have the necessary .sav file in the TGB folder, it just won't recognize the save. When I go to File>Load State I see any saves I have made on TGB but not the save from the .sav file in the same folder. Changing the .sav file to .sv0 or .sv1 allows the save to appear in File>Load State but when I attempt to load it the game crashes. Should I change the .sav to another extension?

The .sav file is create from using the game's ingame save function, and it is not a save state, which explains why your game crashes when you try forcing the emu to load an ingame save. Load State is for loading the save create by using the emu's save state function.

If you want to load your .sav file, then don't change the extension of your save file to .sv0, .sv1, or whatever. Simply just load the save using the ingame load function. Also, you need to make sure the save's file name matches your game's file name.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks imlost. I got the game to recognize the .sav file through experimenting with putting files in different locations. However, sometimes the game won't recognize my states as loadable for some reason. I can go to File>Save State and see all of my game saves, and have the ability to save over them, but when I go to File>Load State, I get a drop down menu of grayed out dashes, almost as if the game sees the states but wont let me load them. If I repeatedly close and reopen the application, I can eventually load my files as normal, but I am only given the ability to load about once every 10 or 15 times I reboot TGB.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well since this is about converting save games, i would like to ask if anybody knows how to convert a no$gba save file into desmume save file. i found a site which converts save file to no$gba but it seems that it can't convert the other way around.

what i'm trying to do is to try out if the gba slot on desmume works also in pokemon cause it works in castlevania dawn of sorrow and adding castlevania aria of sorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks imlost. I got the game to recognize the .sav file through experimenting with putting files in different locations. However, sometimes the game won't recognize my states as loadable for some reason. I can go to File>Save State and see all of my game saves, and have the ability to save over them, but when I go to File>Load State, I get a drop down menu of grayed out dashes, almost as if the game sees the states but wont let me load them. If I repeatedly close and reopen the application, I can eventually load my files as normal, but I am only given the ability to load about once every 10 or 15 times I reboot TGB.
Hey conor I was wondering how exactly you got the TGB to recognize the .sav file. Which files did you put in which locations?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.